MD or DO --- Which one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nesburitto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I haven't taken the MCAT officially yet (I'm signed up for a week from now). I am a female Chemistry major with a Bio-Organic concentration and a Spanish minor. I will be graduating undergrad May of 2014. My cumulative GPA is a 3.75 (I don't know science off the top of my head, but I also see my cumulative going up after this spring semester is done - maybe to a 3.79 or 3.80). I have been involved in Student Government for all three years I've been in college (elected position). I have also been in several theatrical productions in college, as well as this year being elected the Vice-President of Sigma Zeta (a math and science honor society, its the first year we've had it on campus), in the Honors program at my school, an athlete on the Track and Field team on scholarship at my school, a Peer Tutor, worked at Eli Lilly and Company as a Summer Replacement Student for two summers, been a camp counselor at a science camp, and completing some service work with Beggars for the Poor (charity that donates clothes and sanitation products to the homeless, as well as serving them breakfast/lunch once a month). I also have been involved in ROS research in my Biochemistry class, and this summer I will most likely be involved in IGSS (Institute for Green and Sustainable Science) at my school doing research. I also plan on this summer shadowing a DO and MD for some time (I hear about 100 hours is the goal?)

First, I have taken the Kaplan on-site course and have access to their full-length tests, and I have taken two of them so far (three including the diagnostic) and I have become very discouraged. I have gotten a 24 all three times, and no matter what I do I can't seem to move my Bio score above a 7 (maybe its because I'm a Chem major, who knows). Does anyone have any advice for me, as to what I may be able to do before test day? I know it is only a week away, but I feel like I am right on the edge of a breakthrough to start scoring a 29 or 30 (it's like I can see the other side, but can't quite get there). My verbal has always been good, 9s or 10s, and my physical science score seems to be random: anywhere from 7 to 9. My biggest concern, obviously, is the Bio score and keeping my Physical score at a 9 or higher. One big thing on this last practice test I just took that stood out to me was that there were 15 questions that I changed from correct to incorrect; so obviously, I need to learn to follow my gut instinct.

Also, I want to know what I should do if the worst happens: I get a 24 on test day. Or worse (knock on wood). I posted all my ECs so someone could tell me if those and my GPA together make up for a less-than-desireable MCAT score. Another piece of information is that I am currently an undergrad at a school that is opening a new DO med school, and the first class is entering this coming fall (Fall 2013), so I would be in the second class (Fall 2014). I just want to know if anyone would think I would have more of a chance since I attended the college for undergrad. My Biochem professor keeps telling me that I am definitely in, and he is on the admissions committee, but I don't think he knows the scores of the practice test I've been taking and probably thinks I will get a 30 or higher on the MCAT (which I have yet to do on any practice test). I also don't know if I would have a better chance of getting into an MD school or a DO school (though I'm assuming DO, and I could really care less which it is). Any help is appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you been taking the official AAMC practice tests? Those are usually the best indicators as to your potential performance. The Kaplan tests tend to not reflect very well.

you're really going to need a 27+ on that MCAT...how are you currently studying for your bio section? Its most likely too late to make any significant improvements in your score but it would be good to know your methods just in case you need to retake the test. Best of luck. Are you URM? That would also help quite a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't find Kaplan to be very representative. Do some AAMC and see. If you're scoring below your target 2-3 weeks into test day, you're better off postponing. Until then, don't play around with "MD vs DO," etc. That's just a way to trap your mind into things that you only worry about once you have a score on hand.

I don't find Kaplan to be very representative. Do some AAMC and see. If you're scoring below your target 2-3 weeks into test day, you're better off postponing. Until then, don't play around with "MD vs DO," etc. That's just a way to trap your mind into things that you only worry about once you have a score on hand.

Good sound advice right there :thumbup:

Quite a novella to have to wade through.

That's about right.

I also plan on this summer shadowing a DO and MD for some time (I hear about 100 hours is the goal?)

Start with big picture concepts, and work your way downwards. Do as many practice uestions as you can find. Quit fussing and just see how you do. And get a good night's rest before the exam!

I have gotten a 24 all three times, and no matter what I do I can't seem to move my Bio score above a 7 (maybe its because I'm a Chem major, who knows). Does anyone have any advice for me, as to what I may be able to do before test day?

24 will be an auto-reject for any MD program, and it's on the borderline for DO programs. You still might get interviews if the score is, at least, evenly balanced. But get a 6 in Bio and I'll reject you outright. Anyway, if you score poorly, then plan on a re-take, once you've figured out how to fix your problems.

Also, I want to know what I should do if the worst happens: I get a 24 on test day. Or worse

For allopathic schools, nope. Keep in mind their avg is 32+. DO schools will be more forgiving (but up to a point). there's good evidence to show that poor MCAT perfromance correlates with troublem with medical school and/or boards.

I posted all my ECs so someone could tell me if those and my GPA together make up for a less-than-desireable MCAT score.

Hmmm,, that can't hurt. You should definitely go hang out with the faculty, show them your interest, and see OMM in action. The DOs especially like that (my DO colleagues do some serious campaigning for people who are osteopathically inclined.)

Another piece of information is that I am currently an undergrad at a school that is opening a new DO med school, and the first class is entering this coming fall (Fall 2013), so I would be in the second class (Fall 2014). I just want to know if anyone would think I would have more of a chance since I attended the college for undergrad.

Hope this helps...and I hope you apply to my school too! Good luck!

Thank you for the replies everyone! I have calmed down a bit (I was quite the mess last night) and I am going to take an AAMC practice test tomorrow. Also, I have calculated my science GPA and checked it with my advisor and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a 3.69 (was definitely expecting around a 3.50). Also, now that I have talked myself back from the edge, I have realized that it will not be the end of the world if I do get a 24, as I can always retake it in the summer. The reason I will not reschedule the test now is because I am going on a study abroad trip for a month with my school overseas, and I don't think taking it right after I get back from the trip would get me the highest score. Again, thank you very much for the input, and I will keep you updated on my MCAT score!!! :)