MD/PA?? and DO/PA??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tan Son Nhat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does the PA stand for? Is it Physician Assistant? If it does stand for that, why do you keep the title after you get your MD or DO?

I always see this and curious what it means.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, PA stands for Physician's Assistant. It's a sign of accomplishment, just like BS, BA, MS, MBA, MD....etc. I imagine that's why someone would keep it after their name like they would any other degree they've attained.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see.. I kinda figured it was Physician Assistant.

The thing is.. I never see John Doe, MD, BS or John Doe, MD, BA. I guess you're assumed to have your Bachelor's.

I guess my goal is to one day have it all, MD, MPH, MBA, PhD, and BS! hehe

Thanks again.

Who cares about other degrees after you get the MD? Might as well put Dr. Smith, H.S., B.S., P.A.,M.D., Ph.D., etc.:D

don't forget the D.D.S! :D

~Qoo

Originally posted by Tan Son Nhat
I see.. I kinda figured it was Physician Assistant.

The thing is.. I never see John Doe, MD, BS or John Doe, MD, BA. I guess you're assumed to have your Bachelor's.

I guess my goal is to one day have it all, MD, MPH, MBA, PhD, and BS! hehe

Thanks again.
Don't forget AA/DC/DDS/DPM/DO/JD/OD/PharmD/RN and throw in an EMT while your at it.

no, it doesn't mean physician assistant.
my dad lists his title as MD, PA (and now i am gong to sound very, very ignorant, but i remember asking him what the PA meant, and he told me. . .but yeah. i forgot.) but it definitely wasn't physician assistant. it's some medical title or something. um. .yeah.

Originally posted by care bear
no, it doesn't mean physician assistant.
my dad lists his title as MD, PA (and now i am gong to sound very, very ignorant, but i remember asking him what the PA meant, and he told me. . .but yeah. i forgot.) but it definitely wasn't physician assistant. it's some medical title or something. um. .yeah.

perhaps it can mean something else, but PA does stand for Physician Assistant.

I think the op is mistaken. I think he means MD, PC... not MD/PA...the fact that he sees it 'all the time' is where I am stumped.

nah, M.D., P.A. is definitely a common listing, and different from M.D, PC. i think it may have something to do with a simple certification or something. . .or maybe it's something more business-y. . .ok, does anyone know? now it's kinda bugging me that i can't remember. . .:oops:

I've seen MD, FACS and DO, FAAO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best I can find is that it PA stands for "Professional Association".

Also, several doctors I work at have MD, MSCE on their business cards for their Masters of Science in Clinical Epidemiology.

FACS : American Colleges of Surgery ... If you look up someone who is MD FACS, it's likely they will be a surgeon.

The MD PA seems to be associated with docs who are plastic surgeons. (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons)

MD PC ... maybe a doc who conforms to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated :D .

oh yeah! i think that if you're in business by yourself, then you list yourself that way. if you're w/ a group, then you each list "so and so, M.D." and at the end, one P.A. is added.

American Academy of OSteopathy

Originally posted by Qoo
don't forget the D.D.S! :D

~Qoo

It's funny you should say that. The chair of Neurosurgery here at Rochester has MD/PhD and DMD. Moral: things don't always turn out the way you planned.

I was working at a nursing home and saw the PA after the MD and wondered whether it meant "physician assistant" but it didn't make sense: it would be like MD, CNA. I asked the nurse but nobody at the desk knew, so she became really curious and called his office and it was explained to her that it meant the doctor was part of an association.

The PA stands for "Professional Association". I work at a clinic where the doctor has that on his business card.

Dr. X MD P.A.

It's just there to say that the doctor is board certified and part of the "professional association" of doctors in the state. It's not really needed and most doctors refrain from putting that on the end of their title.

Thanks Everyone for the answer! If PA did stand for Physician Assistant, that would be kinda redundant I thought..

Replying to shamthis, maybe I was going over board.. but I am really interested in getting an MPH and MBA in addition to an MD degree..

I really want to oversee a clinic in a potentially underserved area. The MBA would help me in the administration aspect.. while the MPH would help me try to improve the overall health of the community..

To Qoo... Have you decided to get a DDS or DMD yet? If you going to practice in Texas, I suggest you to get the DDS. We Texans really don't know what DMD does.. hehe..

Tan Son Nhat,

Thanks for your concern! I'm still debating between UPenn and Baylor. Yep, DMD vs DDS. I'll let u know when i made my final decision.

:love:
~Qoo

"Who cares about other degrees after you get the MD? Might as well put Dr. Smith, H.S., B.S., P.A.,M.D., Ph.D., etc."

exactly!

:laugh:

FACS means Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.