MD-pharmacy licensure question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flower786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I go to pharmacy school in boston, MA and will be moving to Maryland after I graduate. I was looking at the Maryland Board of Pharmacy's website and was confused about the number of intern hours that are required. It says that 1560 hours are required OR 1000 hours from a structured PEP rotation in school.

I will be completing 1000 hours as part of rotations in school and 500 hours as part of my outside internship in school. Will these hours be transferable? Thanks! Any insight would be helpful :)

Members don't see this ad.

Maryland takes all of your school hours, you do not need any hours outside of that. My full school hours were 1791 and they did not want any more. Good luck!!

Hi everyone,
I go to pharmacy school in boston, MA and will be moving to Maryland after I graduate. I was looking at the Maryland Board of Pharmacy's website and was confused about the number of intern hours that are required. It says that 1560 hours are required OR 1000 hours from a structured PEP rotation in school.

I will be completing 1000 hours as part of rotations in school and 500 hours as part of my outside internship in school. Will these hours be transferable? Thanks! Any insight would be helpful :)

I thought they only require 1000 hours as long as all 1000 are with an ACPE accredited school. If someone did not get 1000 hours from school, the minimum would be 1560 hours.

I'm from PA and will be getting licensed in MD and have a question about the PEP hours

PA will only transfer a max of 750 school hours (it seems like a state thing)
MD requires 1,000 PEP hours but also state this:

B. If an approved school or college of pharmacy offers a partial fulfillment of
internship requirements as a part of its curriculum; time spent in a program by an applicant may be accepted by the Board on an equivalent basis to replace a portion of the required internship training.

C. Partial and/or non-pharmacy school supervised programs or experience will be evaluated on an individual basis.

Has anyone had this issue where their state transferred less than the required 1,000 hours? I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence where the MD BOP will approve the hours as equivalent or should I get my employer to make up the left over hours (250hrs)

I've tried calling, emailing MD BOP... their mailbox is FULL! Noone answers the phones in the office, really frustrating!