This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Francis_Ballins

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising senior applying this summer. I know my numbers are subpar for most MSTPs, but I've been encouraged by my research mentor to just go ahead and try. He said all it takes is one acceptance. My adviser said not to apply, but I don't think they're right. I know that since it's such a long haul, it's undesirable to apply to and competition will be easier. I am a first generation college student and URM, so I think my story will resonate. I really want to avoid taking time off after college if possible. Here are some other important things:

My score breakdown was uneven: 131, 126, 126, 125
Top 50 undergrad
Double major in physics and poly sci
2 semesters research in condensed matter physics
1 poster presentation
40 hours volunteering in the ER
75 hours volunteering at a homeless shelter
I haven't shadowed yet, but talked to an ER doc about logging a few hours next fall
President of NAACP chapter at my college
Active member of college republicans
Youth mentor at local YMCA
8 week humanitarian trip to Djibouti two summers ago

I'm applying to:
Reaches...
Harvard/MIT
NIH OxCam
UCSF
Washington
UAB
Emory

Good fits...
UMass
Minnesota
Indiana
Stony Brook
Medical University South Carolina
Medical College of Wisconsin

Please let me know if I can improve any deficiencies or if I should change my school list at all. I really, really want to do MD/PHD. I don't even think I want to do an MD-only. I would hate to be a clinician.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a rising senior applying this summer. I know my numbers are subpar for most MSTPs, but I've been encouraged by my research mentor to just go ahead and try. He said all it takes is one acceptance. My adviser said not to apply, but I don't think they're right. I know that since it's such a long haul, it's undesirable to apply to and competition will be easier. I am a first generation college student and URM, so I think my story will resonate. I really want to avoid taking time off after college if possible. Here are some other important things:

My score breakdown was uneven: 131, 126, 126, 125
Top 50 undergrad
Double major in physics and poly sci
2 semesters research in condensed matter physics
1 poster presentation

40 hours volunteering in the ER
75 hours volunteering at a homeless shelter
I haven't shadowed yet, but talked to an ER doc about logging a few hours next fall
President of NAACP chapter at my college
Active member of college republicans
Youth mentor at local YMCA
8 week humanitarian trip to Djibouti two summers ago

Please let me know if I can improve any deficiencies or if I should change my school list at all. I really, really want to do MD/PHD. I don't even think I want to do an MD-only. I would hate to be a clinician.

It seems that it's not just your numbers that are subpar for MSTP, but that your MCAT is very unbalanced and you also have very little research experience? For MD/PhD applicants with less "ideal" numbers, there's usually very strong demonstration of commitment to research and to medicine throughout the rest of the application.
It may be that you've had hardships and found it difficult to sustain research+volunteering through undergrad. My recommendation would be to take a gap year to 1) boost grades/MCAT, 2) find a paid research position, 3) get some shadowing and more clinic hours before applying. If relocation is an option, you could consider this: https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/postbac_irta.
In addition, while your research mentor is correct that it just takes one acceptance, the question is how many programs will you need to apply to/can afford to apply to?

Your numbers are very low for MD/PhD even for a URM.

Are you a MA resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have no chance of getting into an MSTP. I am not sure you would even make it in an MD program

I would say it isn't impossible but tough. OP, if you truly want MD/PhD, you will need to apply to the lowest tier MD/PhD programs and hope that your story/URM comes through. Unfortunately, you have zero chance of getting into your reaches.

That being said, why do you want to do a PhD? Or even an MD for that matter? From your list of experiences, I really don't see why you'd want to do a PhD. It also doesn't really fit if you go with a story of being underserved, first gen, URM, and want to help that community etc.

Lastly, are you dedicated to your URM community? I see you are part of the NAACP but it strikes me as a bit unusual that you'd be a Republican?