MD/PhD Admision for International Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mooshu

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a Foreign student undergrad at Stanford Univ. I have a 3.95 GPA (4.0 Science), plenty of research experience (4 years), Clinical Experience (2 years) etc. I'm very interested in pursuing an MD/PhD program. Does anyone know which med schools ACCEPT International students to their MD/PhD programs. Since most MD/PhD programs are part of the MSTP, they do not provide funding for foreign students because MSTP is supported by a grant by either the NIH or NIGMS which mandates U.S. Citizenship/Permanent residence, neither of which, I unfortunately have.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did you ask the two premedical advisors at Stanford first?

Ms. Ruby Mason
Undergraduate Advising
Sweet Hall
725 1195
FAX: 725 1436
[email protected]

Nancy Anderson
Sweet Hall
725 1152

REPLY TO GOWER:

I've asked the two premedical advisors here, and they don't seem to know any sources off-hand. What they advised is to ask around, which is why I'm posting this message.

Thanks

Originally posted by gower:
Did you ask the two premedical advisors at Stanford first?

Ms. Ruby Mason
Undergraduate Advising
Sweet Hall
725 1195
[email protected]

Nancy Anderson
Sweet Hall
725 1152

Members don't see this ad :)
There are actually quite a few schools with nonMSTP supported MD/PhD programs. A friend was in the same situation a couple of years ago. I know he was accepted to USC and Vanderbilt's MD/PhD programs. I think Chicago Med also takes international students too. You would best look at institutions you plan to attend and ask.

mr_sparkle

mr_sparkle,
I'm in a similar situation. Do you think you can find out more from your friend about applying to MD/PHD as an internationl student? (i.e. where he applied to, things to watch out for, and etc.) Thanks for your help

Cin1020,

I've done research on this myself. So far, I've only found several places that are extremely picky about admitting non-US citizens/permanent residents. Vanderbilt and USC are certainly in. But I'm yet to hear from some places. U of Chicago already told me that they don't accept int'l students for their MD/PhD. If you can afford it, a good option would be to enrol in the MD portion with your own funds (or funds borrowed from a bank with the aid of a U.S. citizen co-signer) and then get the school to enrol you in their Ph.D portion. I know that Harvard, Stanford and Hopkins all accept international students to their MD/PhD provided they can fund their MD portion by themselves. This is the option I'm looking into myself.

I'm sorry, but I don't speak that guy anymore. It's been years since we've seen each other. The only other place I can think of is the Univ. of Illinois Urbana-Champagne. They have the most liberal MD/PhD program in the nation. They are quite proud that they don't have a MSTP grant because this frees them from NIH restrictions.

I am unsure of the wisdom of bringing in your own funding. The program is so long that significant interest will accrue before you're even close to residency. I'm assuming that unsubsidized loans will bear the brunt of the financial aid.

It may be better to widen your available opportunities by entering a MD only program. This avoids restricting you from non-MSTP MD/PhD institutions. Plus, there are great research opportunities as a med student. The NIH and HHMI both offer 1 yr fellowships. The CDC has some good programs too. Plus, most med schools offer their own honors programs. I know Stanford encourages its students to graduate in 5yr so they'll have some research background. I think UCSD also has a mandatory research requirement as well. There are many ways to enter research, don't let MD/PhD programs limit you.

mr_sparkle

Hi,

I'm an I-student at Stanford as well and applying to MD/Ph.D. programs.

Stanford, UCSF, Duke, Cornell, Harvard generally will not take MSTP students without US PR or Citizenships. Wash U, Yale, Northwestern, Baylor DO take non-US MSTP.

If you have any more questions let me know. I'm going thru the process now and I know it can be tough and unfair for i-students. You can also try to track me down on campus if you like.

axlf1997,
Thanks for your info. If you don't mind me asking, I was wondering at what stage is your application? Do you have any tips for all the i-students? (stats, experiences, and etc.) Are you only applying for MD/PhD, or are you also applying to other programs. Thanks for your help.

Go to the downtown Los Angeles area called el Piojito (the headlice) and buy yourself a green card ASAP. That'll do it for y'all international students.

Thanks guys for the information...

Axlf, how am I going to track you down on campus if I don't have the faintest idea who you are? hey man atleast give me a SUNet?

At least your lastname or first name or some sort of thing using which I could look you up on campus? I think it would be really helpful to talk to you.

Hi Moo Shoo,

E-mail me at [email protected] with your e-mail and I'll write back with my SUNET account.

[This message has been edited by axlf1997 (edited 02-27-2001).]

Hi Cin1020,

E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll let you know my stats. I'd rather not post them here. I have already interviewed and am currently awaiting responses from some schools. I've already been accepted to others.