MD PhD AMCAS essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anima

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling really stupid going at my AMCAS MD PhD essays without any guides, so I was wondering if anyone would mind posting or sending me their or any sample essays used for the MD PhD section of AMCAS. Alternatively, would anyone be available for some "coaching?"

I apologize in advance if this has been covered somewhere else, but I could not find any threads with anyone talking about this (that and I'm feeling really pressured to get this stuff done very very soon).

thanks,

anima

Members don't see this ad.

Right, so since no one seems to be able to help with what I'd previously asked :confused:, I'll rephrase the question...

Is it "standard" to give specifics in what you want to "do" with your dual degree?

For example, I'm interested in studying consciousness, broadly...but if I had to think of a specific study I'd like to perform, my first thoughts are split brain patients...However, seeing as this is pretty rare, it kinda seems like an admissions group will see this and think, "wow, ok, we don't do this...next!"

So, any thoughts?

p.s. I apologize if the entry sentence sounds a bit bitter, I mean no offense to the whole network.

Right, so since no one seems to be able to help with what I'd previously asked :confused:, I'll rephrase the question...

Is it "standard" to give specifics in what you want to "do" with your dual degree?

For example, I'm interested in studying consciousness, broadly...but if I had to think of a specific study I'd like to perform, my first thoughts are split brain patients...However, seeing as this is pretty rare, it kinda seems like an admissions group will see this and think, "wow, ok, we don't do this...next!"

So, any thoughts?

p.s. I apologize if the entry sentence sounds a bit bitter, I mean no offense to the whole network.

From what I understand, it is pretty standard to give specifics in what you want to "do" with your dual degree, although I don't think that most people are as specific as describing how they with to say, study split brain patients. But if that's what you're really interested in, say so!

PM me and I could send you my essay, and I'm sure other people on here would oblige if you PMed them. Sorry that nobody replied, but most people are pretty wary to post their essays directly on the boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, in regards to the longer research essay for AMCAS, I was wondering what people have done format wise...as of right now, I'm basically just planning on copying and pasting from my thesis (which I've essentially completed) and then just cutting it down a bit...

Also...has anyone bothered with citations?? It seems like it would be necessary, but not really possible given the character constraints.

thanks.

In general I would say the MD/PhD essay breaks down into 2 components (I've said this many times in my other posts so I'll summarize).

1) Why MD/PhD?
2) Describe your research.

Describe your research broadly so that any other scientist, even not in your field, would get the idea of what you did. Mention your specific contributions to the project, how long you worked on it, and if you got anything out of it (pubs, whatever). No citations are necessary.

Last edited:
Just wanted to shout out a thanks to Solitude and Neuronix for your help with sending your essays. Fortunately most of what I've done so far seems to be right in pace with each.

have a good one, :banana:

Anima.

So, in regards to the longer research essay for AMCAS, I was wondering what people have done format wise...as of right now, I'm basically just planning on copying and pasting from my thesis (which I've essentially completed) and then just cutting it down a bit...

Also...has anyone bothered with citations?? It seems like it would be necessary, but not really possible given the character constraints.

thanks.

i am totally lost, too. i am planning to divide it up to separate sections, one each for each of my projects and then copy paste my abstracts. somehow i think this is a bad idea. i was talking with the the lady who is responsible for the md/phd program at northwestern and she specifically told me NOT to compartmentalize it and try to adhere to an essay format. i really do not think i can be very artsy when i have to write about my 4 years of research experience.

i am totally lost, too. i am planning to divide it up to separate sections, one each for each of my projects and then copy paste my abstracts. somehow i think this is a bad idea. i was talking with the the lady who is responsible for the md/phd program at northwestern and she specifically told me NOT to compartmentalize it and try to adhere to an essay format. i really do not think i can be very artsy when i have to write about my 4 years of research experience.

I think this somewhat depends on how many research projects you have. If you have one or two then an essay is fine. Otherwise I would group them according to PI. The body should be in essay format, but there is nothing wrong with seperating it by PI. For example, this is what I did (I have 4 PIs and 7 research projects)

PI Name
University and Department

Project Title
Project Dates

Essay about project

Repeat (don't repeat PI info if its the same PI)

The MSTP coordinator at Iowa told me that it is helpful to them if you have multiple projects in multiple labs to make it very clear which project from with PI you are talking about.

Okay, after reading this post I'm getting nervous again. So I've had 3 research "experiences." The first 2 were doing freshman year and the following summer, and the third has been in the same lab for 3 years and summers... I only wrote about the last one in my significant research experiences essay. Do you think that's okay - or should I have talked about them all. While I was doing research in the first two (not dishwashing or anything) I didn't have any control over the project...

Any opinions?

So after reading all this - I have a question - All my research experience has been in one lab, over (total when I graduate) 3.5 years including summers...(+ publication soon)

Is it detrimental to be in only 1 lab for such a long time instead of multiple labs?

Also, what do you guys recommend I do about the programs that request more than 1 research mentor letter? My other rec. letter writers commented on research ability, but I only have 1 mentor letter (due to 1 PI)....

So after reading all this - I have a question - All my research experience has been in one lab, over (total when I graduate) 3.5 years including summers...(+ publication soon)

Is it detrimental to be in only 1 lab for such a long time instead of multiple labs?

Also, what do you guys recommend I do about the programs that request more than 1 research mentor letter? My other rec. letter writers commented on research ability, but I only have 1 mentor letter (due to 1 PI)....

I'm essentially in the same situation. I've heard differing opinions about being in one lab for so long. Some people say that you can go really in depth and hopefully get to plan your own projects, get publications, etc. Others say that you don't get broad exposure to different ideas, techniques, etc.

There's not much you and I can do about programs that request more than 1 research letter since we obviously can't get more than 1 research letter. My strategy was, like yours, to have my other writers comment on research ability, and if the schools ask, just explain why I stayed in the same lab.

Okay, after reading this post I'm getting nervous again. So I've had 3 research "experiences." The first 2 were doing freshman year and the following summer, and the third has been in the same lab for 3 years and summers... I only wrote about the last one in my significant research experiences essay. Do you think that's okay - or should I have talked about them all. While I was doing research in the first two (not dishwashing or anything) I didn't have any control over the project...

Any opinions?

Don't second guess yourself now. You can't fix it and if you try by talking about the other in secondaries too much then you will just confuse the committee. There are a couple of short term (3-4) month research experiances that I have had that I didn't talk about in my AMCAS because in relation to my others they weren't significant.

I'm essentially in the same situation. I've heard differing opinions about being in one lab for so long. Some people say that you can go really in depth and hopefully get to plan your own projects, get publications, etc. Others say that you don't get broad exposure to different ideas, techniques, etc.

There's not much you and I can do about programs that request more than 1 research letter since we obviously can't get more than 1 research letter. My strategy was, like yours, to have my other writers comment on research ability, and if the schools ask, just explain why I stayed in the same lab.

You're right that being in only one lab can be a double-edged sword. I think its only bad if you say you are interested in another topic totally unrelated to what you did in that one lab. If I were an ADCOM I would wonder why you didn't explore that other topic. You will rotate labs in grad school and techniques are easy to pick up.

About the LORs - I have never heard of a school speicifcally requiring more than one research mentor but maybe I overlooked something. Solitude would know - he is a one lab guy. I wonder why you asked your other LOR writers to comment on your research ability though if they never actually saw it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't second guess yourself now. You can't fix it and if you try by talking about the other in secondaries too much then you will just confuse the committee. There are a couple of short term (3-4) month research experiances that I have had that I didn't talk about in my AMCAS because in relation to my others they weren't significant.

Yeah, I was going to follow-up my comment by saying that I can't change it now anyway (you beat me to that) but I guess I just wanted some peace of mind. Thanks for the advice on not fleshing them out too much in the secondaries. I described them in my EC section and I could easily discuss them in an interview if necessary.

I did it the compartmentalized way and it worked for me, I think. I don't see the point of trying to tie unrelated projects in different labs into any kind of flow. Make sure its coherent within each section, however.

And also be prepared to trim it down, there's some schools that make you do the same thing again on the secondary but shorter (argh!).

I wouldn't think it's such a big deal if you did research in only one lab. It's probably more important to develop your own research project than do 5 projects where you weren't that involved. I don't think the adcoms are looking for a full blown researcher who knows every technique out there. They just want evidence that you like research and you're good at it, and you can easily prove that with only one project.

About the LORs - I have never heard of a school speicifcally requiring more than one research mentor but maybe I overlooked something. Solitude would know - he is a one lab guy. I wonder why you asked your other LOR writers to comment on your research ability though if they never actually saw it.

Yeah I think most every school only has the guideline "a letter from each of your research mentors", but I feel like I have seen a school or two that required more than one research letter, and I just ignored it given my "one lab guy" background. I think it's OK to ask other LOR writers to comment on research ability if they feel that they can comment on it, e.g., one of my professors taught me in a seminar where I wrote a report of my research and a grant proposal for new research, and also frequently discussed primary literature, etc. In that case the course required skills that are "research ability" though the prof obviously didn't actually observe me performing experiments.

Yeah I think most every school only has the guideline "a letter from each of your research mentors", but I feel like I have seen a school or two that required more than one research letter, and I just ignored it given my "one lab guy" background. I think it's OK to ask other LOR writers to comment on research ability if they feel that they can comment on it, e.g., one of my professors taught me in a seminar where I wrote a report of my research and a grant proposal for new research, and also frequently discussed primary literature, etc. In that case the course required skills that are "research ability" though the prof obviously didn't actually observe me performing experiments.

Okay,
AECOM says "The MSTP Supplementary Application also asks that two confidential letters of reference from past research mentors be submitted directly to the MSTP office."

I swear I saw it somewhere else where it says specifically two but I can't seem to find it

Okay,
AECOM says "The MSTP Supplementary Application also asks that two confidential letters of reference from past research mentors be submitted directly to the MSTP office."

I swear I saw it somewhere else where it says specifically two but I can't seem to find it

Yeah--don't worry about it. There's nothing you can do now. I really doubt it will hurt you if you've only had 1 research mentor. :)

Cool, solitude, I didn't know you were a "one lab pony" like myself; we should start a club. In reference to getting other non-PI letter writers to comment on research ability, another idea is to grab letters from any relevant post-docs in your lab. While they may not be faculty, they ARE PhDs, and that has to count for something.

Cool, solitude, I didn't know you were a "one lab pony" like myself; we should start a club. In reference to getting other non-PI letter writers to comment on research ability, another idea is to grab letters from any relevant post-docs in your lab. While they may not be faculty, they ARE PhDs, and that has to count for something.

here's a shout out to all my fellow one-lab groupies!

solitude
jlamacc1
j-weezy

Reactions: 1 user
here's a shout out to all my fellow one-lab groupies!

solitude
jlamacc1
j-weezy

and Picklesali

woot woot for us

P.S. nice pun jlamacc. The first time I read your post it didn't even hit me.

and Picklesali

woot woot for us

P.S. nice pun jlamacc. The first time I read your post it didn't even hit me.
Yo count me in too. I definitely agree with the one lab, more experience, since it's more consistent with what a career is going to feel like.

Yo count me in too. I definitely agree with the one lab, more experience, since it's more consistent with what a career is going to feel like.

I'll give a "woot" for that!

Mt. Sinai asks for 3 mentor letters....
Northwestern for 2....

Grrr...

I'm getting really nervous too... I did clinical research for a summer, and it was really significant to me (i wrote my personal statement on it!), but i didn't mention it in my research experience essay (mostly becuase i didn't get too many results, it was *clinical research...) Even though it wasn't the research part that was the most significant impact on my decision to apply to med school, I did list it in my 'activities/experience' as 'Research' but due to character limits, my description is quite vague.

I've been listing the mentor as a 'research mentor letter,' because it was still research, and he was my mentor....

How serious is this mistake, and how can i correct it?

Preface: I am hugely neurotic and OCD about this whole process. The following is my opinion.

I think that there's no right or wrong way to go about the essays. The vague prompt almost begs us to do it however we see fit. I think giving us leeway in what/how we write allows schools to see who we are and what we value, not how well we can follow a preordained format.

In my case, at the time of application I had three research experiences. Two of which I considered to be of significant importance to write about in the essay, the third went in the work/activities section. I wrote a single essay broke into two parts. The first part spoke to my biology research, and the second part spoke to my psychology research. They were in a semi-narrative semi-technical form, which came off as a lot drier than my other two essays but that's what I perceived to be necessary. Your PS/why MDPhD essays are where you can let your personality and desires shine. The research essay should detail what you've done to get you there.

Write about WHATEVER was significant research experience TO YOU. It can be two months or two decades in length. This is your essay, you choice. Make the schools want you, make them know what you've done. Don't worry about formatting; AMCAS obviously doesn't.

Is anyone (already in an MSTP program) willing to look at my MSTP/research experience essays? Please shoot me a PM if you can help. Thanks!

I think Inuranic hit the nail on the head though. There are no right or wrong answers. Just be mindful, be honest, and answer in a manner that accurately reflects who you are as a person/student/scientist.

Here is what I wrote. I'm not suggesting they are either good or bad, just obliging your request to see some samples...

1. Why do you want to go to medical school?

I first became interested in a career in medicine when I was quite young. As a child, I experienced my father being disabled in an on-the-job accident, and I also lost my grandmothers to cancer and cardiovascular disease. I remember being keenly interested in what was wrong with them, and what could be done to make them better. I also remember watching the way in which the various health professionals cared for them, and admiring the knowledge, compassion, and prowess by which they performed their jobs. I was a pretty good student as a child, and I always thought that if I was given opportunity, I could also contribute something to helping others become well.

As I aged, I developed into quite a curious youth. I spent a great deal of time experimenting with my chemistry set and circuit board, but I didn’t realize at the time I was preliminarily training for a future career in medicine. I found that not only did I have a great interest in science, but that I was pretty good at it as well. Around this time, I also began working with elderly residents after school at the nursing home where my mother was employed. I really enjoyed this experience because I found working with the residents to be very rewarding, and they always seemed grateful for my help. I realized that caring for others was an awesome responsibility, but can also be very fulfilling. I began to realize that I wanted to pursue a career in health care.

Throughout my adolescence, I continued to foster my enthusiasm for science and medicine by enrolling in advanced placement courses in high school, and entering a pre-medicine pre-professional program as an undergraduate in college. I also sought out opportunities to heighten my exposure to the medical field; such as, shadowing programs with physicians I knew, and volunteering at the auxiliary of my local hospital. I also began to consult professionals I knew, and expressed my interest in becoming a clinician. All of these experiences served to crystallize my interest and desire to become a physician. Through the practice of medicine, I could both develop my inclination as a scientist as well as find satisfaction through working with others to improve their lives and health.

One of the aspects of a career in medicine that appeals to me the most is that it is a life-long learning process. I am reminded of a quote by Mortimer Adler, “The purpose of learning is growth, and our minds, unlike our bodies, can continue growing as we continue to live.” The opportunity to continually challenge myself throughout my career and constantly add to my knowledge and skills is very important to me. Medicine is a vocation which I believe would bring me great satisfaction, and one in which I would excel. The more I become immersed in medicine and biomedical research, the more strongly I feel compelled to the field.

Since entering graduate school, I have pursued a course in medicine with vigor. Quite simply, I find the pursuit of science and medicine to be very satisfying to me on all levels – as a student, a professional, and as an individual. Deciding on a career path may be one of the hardest decisions an individual has to make, and I believe my calling is to practice medicine. At this point I feel as though I have the mind and heart of a physician, now I am ready to commit myself to the necessary training and diligence that will be required to realize my goals.

2. Why do you want to enter an M.D./Ph.D. program?

I have chosen to pursue the joint degrees of M.D./Ph.D. as a result of my interest in laboratory research that goes beyond a clinical setting. I have prepared for a career in medicine from the beginning of my post-secondary education, but towards the end of my undergraduate career I was invited to join a research group by my biochemistry professor, Jenq-Kuen Huang, Ph.D., of the Western Illinois University (WIU) Department of Chemistry. Although I had already completed the chemistry requirements of the pre-medicine pre-professional program I was enrolled in, I agreed to work in Dr. Huang’s laboratory as a way to better prepare myself for medical school. I believe the principles of medicine begin at the bench, and the strong foundation in research fundamentals I gained through this experience makes me a strong candidate for your program.

Once I joined Dr. Huang’s group, I flourished as a research scientist and scholar under my new found mentor’s tutelage. I discovered that scientific investigation greatly appealed to me, and that I had the desire to pursue research, in addition to a clinical practice. I remained a member of the Huang group until I graduated, as well as participating in independent research in a number of other laboratories and reporting on my findings at a number of conferences.

After graduation, I decided to continue a scientific course in graduate school until which time I would be accepted to medical school as well as an M.D./Ph.D. program. During this time, I have taken coursework from the Graduate Education in Medical Science (GEMS) curriculum through the College of Medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) and am currently seated in the Ph.D. program for Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics.

I was also hired to work as a graduate assistant in the medical mycology laboratory of Peter R. Williamson, M.D./Ph.D., in the Section of Infectious Diseases at the UIC College of Medicine. Working with Dr. Williamson and his research staff, some of whom were also M.D./Ph.D.s, I was able to get a better understanding of just what a career as a physician scientist entails. While continuing to see patients, I would still have the opportunity to actively conduct research and report my findings so that they could be applied to the better practice of medicine overall.

These experiences have helped me to realize that an M.D./Ph.D. curriculum would allow me to reconcile my deep interest in scientist research, as well as my desire to work in the clinic. Such a career is an ambitious undertaking, but it is one in which I think I am a strong candidate for success. By committing to train in this very unique and rigorous manner, I would be better able to care for my patients, as well as better serve the scientific community through my contributions to translational research.

3. Describe your research experience.

My research experience began in earnest the senior year of my undergraduate coursework at Western Illinois University (WIU). During this time, I worked on two independent research projects as part of my curriculum, as well as joining a third laboratory group upon invitation by the principle investigators. Through these investigations, I developed a strong interest in biomedical research, and have continued my pursuit ever since.

As part of my pre-medicine training, I worked for a semester each in the laboratories of Jeff E. Engel, Ph.D. and Richard O. Musser, Ph.D at WIU. In the flight physiology laboratory of Jeff Engel, I studied the giant fiber escape response in Drosophila melanogaster using a variety of electrophysiology techniques. In this experience, I learned to use an oscilloscope and micromanipulators, fundamentals of D. melanogaster as a model system, practical applications of electrophysics, and proper care for animals. These data were then used by Dr. Engel to design experiments for his own research. In the molecular ecology lab of Richard Musser, I practiced a range of molecular biology techniques, including purification of total RNAs, microarray analysis, as well as additional principles of plant and animal husbandry. This work was used to present a poster at the annual WIU Department of Biology research symposium.

Additionally, I was invited by my biochemistry professors, Jenq-Kuen Huang, Ph.D. and Lisa Wen, Ph.D., to join their research group on an extracurricular basis when space became available in their lab. Under Dr. Huang’s supervision, I authored a scholarly activities grant which was funded by the WIU College of Arts and Sciences and WIU Department of Chemistry. Under this grant, I conducted research entitled “Purification of lipoxygenase-like enzyme from Psuedomonas aeruginosa 2HS.” The U.S. Department of Defense has determined ricinoleic acid to be a substance of strategic significance, as it is consumed in a number of manufacturing processes and there is no domestic source. Through a series of chromatography protocols and enzyme activity assays, I was able to isolate a protein from P. aeruginosa which catalyzed the conversion of oleic acid, a waste product of soybean oil production, into 10-hydroxyoctadecenoic acid, a precursor of ricinoleic acid. Discovering an economically feasible method of isolating this enzyme would prove to be of great industrial significance. The results of my study were presented at a number of research conferences, including the 16th Annual Illinois Student Research Conference and WIU Undergraduate Research Day.

I went on to graduate in the spring of 2005, and in the fall I enrolled in graduate school at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC). At that time I began working as a graduate research assistant in the medical mycology laboratory of Peter Williamson, M.D., Ph.D. in the Section of Infectious Diseases at the UIC College of Medicine, where I remained until October of 2006. The focus of our investigation was the genetic basis of pathogenesis in the pathogenic fungus Cryptococcus neoformans, the primary causative agent of meningitis and encephalitis in HIV patients and other immunocompromised hosts. My time there allowed me to work directly with the post doctoral research associates, assisting them with experiments in microbiology, cell biology, molecular biology, confocal microscopy and many other techniques.

Much of my work involved examining how several genes of interest, such as VPS34 and CUF1, contributed to disease progression of Cryptococcus infection in a mouse model. By inoculating our model with various knockout strains of the pathogen we were able to compare how these genes affected tissue distribution and proliferation of the fungus in vivo as compared to wild type controls. This information is to be used to better elucidate the mechanism of pathogenesis by C. neoformans.

In October of 2006, I joined the molecular genetics laboratory of Bradley Merrill, Ph.D., as a part of the laboratory rotations component of the UIC Graduate Education in the Medical Sciences (GEMS). My project in Dr. Merrill’s lab involved developing a recombinant green fluorescent protein under the promoter control of the transcription factor Nanog, and then expressing this construct in a transgenic mouse strain. The transcription factor Nanog has been shown to play a critical role in maintaining a balance between differentiation and self-renewal in mouse embryonic stem cells (ESC). A GFP construct which recapitulates Nanog expression would allow us to quantify expression of Nanog and follow its cellular localization in the ESC during embryogenesis and help to identify the mechanism by which it determines stem cell fate.

Upon completing this rotation at the end of 2006, I had transformed GS1 embryonic stem cells with this construct, in addition to having the construct recombined into the ESC genome and observing expression of the recombinant protein through Western blot analysis and immunoflourescent microscropy. Transformation was confirmed through continuous neomycin selection, and recombination was insured through a diphtheria toxin “suicide gene” on the construct upstream of the 5’ arm of recombination. Using primers of my own design, PCR analysis of 300 colonies revealed no positive colonies for homologous recombination of the construct at the Nanog locus; however, six cell lines were chosen which potentially recapitulate Nanog expression due to non-specific recombination and may prove useful to the investigation.

At the start of 2007 I began my second GEMS rotation in the laboratory of Steven Ackerman, Ph.D. My project in Dr. Ackerman’s lab focuses upon examining the molecular and genetic regulation of differentiation in hematopoetic progenitor cells -- specifically transcriptional regulators responsible for terminal differentiation of the eosinophil lineage. Briefly, I am expressing the 14 and 27 kD isoforms of the CAAT box enhancer binding protein epsilon (C/EBP?) as a TAT fusion protein using the pTAT-HA expression vector. Once purified, the TAT fusion proteins will be used to transduce AML14.3D10 eosinophilic myelocytes, and then a panel of genes implicated in eosinophil differentiation will be assayed for alterations in transcription levels using RT-PCR and RT-Q-PCR. The purpose of these experiments is to characterize the repressor activities of these C/EBP? isoforms in regulating eosinophil gene expression during terminal differentiation.

Additionally, I completed UIC radiation safety training in September of 2006, and have completed research methods modules in separation techniques, basic molecular biology, immunological methods, discovery bioinformatics, and bio-imaging through the UIC GEMS program. I have also completed confocal microscropy training through the UIC Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, and am currently taking an experimental animal techniques laboratory course through the UIC graduate college.

Hey guys, do any of you can tell me, when the AMCAS will ask for the two MD/PhD essays. Can I submit it in AMCAS before verification or can I send it after my applications has been verified. I REALLY NEED more time to write them up. I am already kinda late to submit my application.

Hey guys, do any of you can tell me, when the AMCAS will ask for the two MD/PhD essays. Can I submit it in AMCAS before verification or can I send it after my applications has been verified. I REALLY NEED more time to write them up. I am already kinda late to submit my application.

I am a fellow applicant and here is what I know...
All three essays –personal statement, MD/PhD, and Research Experience– must be submitted at the same time you submit your AMCAS application and once they have been submitted they cannot be changed.
You can only submit your application for verification once they have been entered into AMCAS and it is complete. My opinion is that if you get them done sooner than later and stay on top of your secondaries you should be alright. Let me know if you need someone to read them and best of luck!

As Serac stated, the PS, dual degree and SRE essays are all part of the primary amcas app and cannot be changed after submission. I also agree you should write them up asap and stay on top of the secondaries.

I think you can apply to an MD-only program, submit with just the personal statement, write your MD/PhD essays while you wait to get verified, and then add MD/PhD programs when you've finished your essays.

I think you can apply to an MD-only program, submit with just the personal statement, write your MD/PhD essays while you wait to get verified, and then add MD/PhD programs when you've finished your essays.

That's an interesting idea. It makes sense, but I'd call AMCAS to be sure (I for one have no idea whether they would do this or not). Smart thinking!

That's an interesting idea. It makes sense, but I'd call AMCAS to be sure (I for one have no idea whether they would do this or not). Smart thinking!

At least one user here has done it successfully. It was suggested to me when I was also struggling with finishing my MD/PhD essays, but since I was applying MD/PhD-only I didn't use that strategy. The extra essays pop up once you add an MD/PhD program.

At least one user here has done it successfully. It was suggested to me when I was also struggling with finishing my MD/PhD essays, but since I was applying MD/PhD-only I didn't use that strategy. The extra essays pop up once you add an MD/PhD program.

That would have been good to know a few weeks back for me. At least others can enjoy the wisdom!

Yep, I definitely did this. Applied MD-only for my state school (their MD-PhD program only selects from current MD students) a few days after the app opened, procrastinated/worked on my MD PhD essays for a month, applied to the rest of my schools in the first week of July.

Yep, I definitely did this. Applied MD-only for my state school (their MD-PhD program only selects from current MD students) a few days after the app opened, procrastinated/worked on my MD PhD essays for a month, applied to the rest of my schools in the first week of July.

Smart.