MD/PhD Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PolarBearMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm applying to MD/PhD programs next year (matriculation Fall 2016), and was hoping I could get your advice on schools I'd be considered at:

Stats:
Graduated from Bowdoin College a few years ago
Completed an honors project in Neuroscience my senior year
Worked at Massachusetts General Hospital in an HIV/AIDS lab for 3 years
Have a few publications
Got a 35 on the MCAT: 11PS, 11VR, 13BS
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.6
Lots of leadership experience (student government VP 2 years, residential life RA)
Lots of volunteer hours and leadership experience in non-profits
Have tutored for the MCAT for a couple years for a private company
Volunteer currently for 3 hours a week in the oncology unit of Massachusetts General Hospital
Great letters of rec

I feel like even with though stats, I wouldn't be very competitive at top tier medical schools. Thoughts where I should apply?

Also, I've heard it said that if MD/PhD programs don't accept you, they consider you separately for MD-only admissions. Has anyone ever heard of that happening? Because if I don't get the PhD, I could still do research and I think that would make me a little more competitive at top-tier schools being in the MD-only pool if I didn't get into the MD/PhD? I've just never heard of someone only getting into MD at a school when they applied MD/PhD. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Post this is the "What Are My Chances" subforum

Reactions: 1 users
Post this is the "What Are My Chances" subforum
Or the physician scientist forum.

Anyway, chances are good for at least getting in to an MSTP, apply broadly and know your research. Anything could happen from there depending on factors out of your control.

The whole MD only after MSTP rejection thing usually doesn't pan out, I believe the only one I've heard of working for people is Stanford. Usually by the time a school formally rejects you it's February and that tends to kill chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moved! Sorry about that -- thanks for your thoughts!

Yeah, don't expect the MD decision to work out if you don't get into MSTP's. Go all out and try to get into an MSTP program.