MD/PhD Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PolarBearMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm applying to MD/PhD programs next year (matriculation Fall 2016), and was hoping I could get your advice on schools I'd be considered at:

Stats:
Graduated from Bowdoin College a few years ago
Completed an honors project in Neuroscience my senior year
Worked at Massachusetts General Hospital in an HIV/AIDS lab for 3 years
Have a few publications
Got a 35 on the MCAT: 11PS, 11VR, 13BS
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.6
Lots of leadership experience (student government VP 2 years, residential life RA)
Lots of volunteer hours and leadership experience in non-profits
Have tutored for the MCAT for a couple years for a private company
Volunteer currently for 3 hours a week in the oncology unit of Massachusetts General Hospital
Great letters of rec

I feel like even with though stats, I wouldn't be very competitive at top tier medical schools. Thoughts where I should apply?

Also, I've heard it said that if MD/PhD programs don't accept you, they consider you separately for MD-only admissions. Has anyone ever heard of that happening? Because if I don't get the PhD, I could still do research and I think that would make me a little more competitive at top-tier schools being in the MD-only pool if I didn't get into the MD/PhD? I've just never heard of someone only getting into MD at a school when they applied MD/PhD. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I've heard it said that if MD/PhD programs don't accept you, they consider you separately for MD-only admissions. Has anyone ever heard of that happening? !
The problem with this is that by the time the MD/PhD committee has finally decided not to accept (in April or so), the MD class is already full. So though it could happen it's hard to operationalize.