MD-PhD Essay Questions - All Research or De

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolverine2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is mostly directed towards any matriculated (or-ing) physician-scientists. I am wondering how people generally go about writing the two MD-PhD essays given that one seems more open and personal, and the next seems more research-descriptive oriented. Did people generally describe their research in the first section in absolute terms? Or do you only explain how those experiences led you to make a decision to pursue MD-PhD training?

I have a draft of the 3000 character essay which I would describe as more fluffy and philosophical. While it mentions how my research has been absolutely critical to my decision, its not the centerpiece of my essay. Instead, rather than repeat myself, I was hoping to digress more fully on the 10,000 character essay with all the work I have done.

Has this technique been used by anyone in the past? Also, if anyone has the time and is willing to read over my essay I would deeply appreciate it, although I recognize it is a tall order!

Members don't see this ad.

The 10,000 character essay is to show up that you are becoming a scientist. Think about the hypothesis that you have been testing in the lab during each of your research experiences. Don't focus on techniques, we are not selecting the best research assistant for enrollment into MD/PhD programs. The 3000 character essay is to describe what motivated you to pursue this career as a clinician-scientist and what you aspire to be when you complete your training (MD/PhD, residency, postdoc, etc.).

Reactions: 2 users
The 10,000 character essay is to show up that you are becoming a scientist. Think about the hypothesis that you have been testing in the lab during each of your research experiences. Don't focus on techniques, we are not selecting the best research assistant for enrollment into MD/PhD programs. The 3000 character essay is to describe what motivated you to pursue this career as a clinician-scientist and what you aspire to be when you complete your training (MD/PhD, residency, postdoc, etc.).

May I assume that citations won't be necessary for the 10,000 character essay? Having worked on multiple projects, the background information can get a bit hairy.

Members don't see this ad :)

For the Significant Research Experiences Essay, should we insert experience names and advisor titles (since we have all the space) making it structurally similar to a work/activities entry except we go into the details of each project? I feel like this would make it easier for the reader, instead of just two pages of paragraphs and text. How do applicants normally format the essay?

Example:

Structural Analysis of Direwolf Blood Protein A
Advisor: Bran the Builder, MD, PhD, Department of Greenseer Chemistry, Westeros Academy of Sciences
Summer 2014

(Description of project...)

Publication: (citation of paper published from project)
Funded by the 2014 Three Eyed Raven Fellowship

Distillation of Wild Fire Produces Less Volatile Substance
Advisor: Maegor the Cruel, PhD, Department of Pyromancy, Alchemy's Guild
Spring 2015

(Description of project...)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I already wrote what I recommend and that's a narrative form without references. There's no right answer.

Thanks. I'll leave out the citations but will probably maintain the structure with titles. Hopefully adcom will appreciate the clear cut off for each project!