MD/PhD Hotel vs Room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctornetwork

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I tried looking for threads on this on SDN but the posts seemed like they were geared for MD-only students who had to shell out money for a hotel room.

In my case, I have received multiple MD/PhD interview invites . Some of them have offered me the choice of staying with a student host or a hotel which they will pay for.

Would it be bad to choose the hotel?

I much prefer staying a hotel as it will give me privacy, which I think I need for health and personal reasons. I know I am just more comfortable that way staying in a room all by myself. I also prefer having access to a continental breakfast and a fitness facility, which allows me to destress in the morning.

I'm just concerned if it looks bad, since a) I won't be staying with a student and b) I'll be making the program pay out money to host me.

Any advice? How does this look to Adcoms if I prefer the hotel?

Members don't see this ad.

I stayed at hotels at almost all my interviews. It helped me relax and get ready to do well on the interviews. I would say that you should take whatever option will allow you to shine during the interviews. Just be friendly when you meet the current students (and other interviewees) and it should be fine.

It should be fine. Better for you to be more comfortable and ready for your interviews. I would think they offer the student host option to give people a chance to see what the home-life for their students is like and additional opportunities to talk candidly with a current student about the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they offered to put you in a hotel, then they've already budgeted for that. Do what makes you feel most comfortable.

Reactions: 1 user
Bear in mind that some students have very personal reasons why they would prefer to stay in a hotel rather than with a host, so no, nobody will judge AT ALL. In fact probably the director of the program and your interviewers won't even know that you are staying in the hotel -- just the admissions coordinator.

You should be aware though that many programs that put students up in hotels frequently do place 2 or more students in the same room, so you may not be in a room all by yourself. And it probably would not be appropriate to request a single unless you really have a serious reason why you need that.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be aware though that many programs that put students up in hotels frequently do place 2 or more students in the same room, so you may not be in a room all by yourself. And it probably would not be appropriate to request a single unless you really have a serious reason why you need that.
Excellent point. I remember this happening at multiple schools.