MD phd international student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R 1989

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I am very much interested to apply for MD-Ph.D. program. I am not a U.S citizen and a graduate in biotechnology and post graduate in marine biotechnology. I have surfed many websites of universities and almost all of them mentions that for international students there is a requirement of atleast one year of premedical education in US having completed all the prerequisite courses or should have completed 90 credits prior to matriculation etc. If that is the case. What should be my next step ? What such course should I to pursue to fulfill the criteria ? What kind of curriculum is required ? Kindly elaborate.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

I am in a similar position as you are. You will have to complete some undergraduate coursework in US schools. Especially the pre-meds.
You can check out post-bac pre-med programs.

Reactions: 1 user
They're referring to gen chem 1&2, organic 1&2, physics 1&2, bio 1&2, english 1&2, statistics, and then any class the different schools require.

Members don't see this ad :)
As @firebolt_hp said, you should check out Post-bac programs (especially those at universities that have a medical school). That way you can get the coursework done as well as get research experience here in the US, which you will need for acceptance into an MD/PhD program.

That is correct, a post-baccalaureate program in the US would probably be the best option for you. They will be able to help you pick the classes for that.
Also, I would strongly encourage you to contact the specific schools you would be interested in, as their specific requirements for you might differ (MD-PhD programs might also have different requirements from MD programs).
For more information, check out my blog (in my signature below).

Source: I am a successful international MD-PhD applicant myself.

Hi everyone, I have searched for some post baccalaureate premed programs and some of them are quite competitive to get in. However, I intend to locate to TX or FL and plan on working full time and do prerequisite classes part time. By any chance, do you know any schools in these states that offer evening classes for working folks? Has anybody gone this pathway before? I know we can enroll in community college, but as everyone said, it s better to choose a university or 4-year college over community colleges to gain the competitiveness of our applications. Thank you for all the advice !