MD/PhD Reapplications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Research&EverythingAfter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone ever end up reapplying for MD/PhD programs?

My primary application is completely finished and waiting to be submitted but I'm wondering if I shouldn't wait a year. I have a decent app with a few noticeable shortcomings (really weak on clinical exposure, only 35 mcat, submitting in late July, and lowish ug gpa from a difficult school), most of which I could remedy given another year, but I'm already 26 and want to still be able to walk without a cane at the end of my training.

If I apply this cycle, I'm confident I'll get in somewhere. Maybe not my top choices, but somewhere. However, if I wait and improve my app, I really think I have a good shot at some top programs.

Risk averse as I am, I'm currently planning on submitting my primary in a couple days, going through the secondaries/interviews dance, and deciding later on whether I'll accept any of the offers. If I only get into my backup programs, then I might decline them all and reapply next cycle with a stronger app.

So, I'm wondering:
- Does my plan sound stupid?
- What new factors come into play if you become a MD/PhD reapplicant?
- If you do reapply, are you penalized for being a reapplicant (reapplication being an indicator that you weren't good enough the first time around or something)?
- If you're accepted into a program in your first cycle, decline, and then reapply again next year, is the program's adcom going to even look at your app or just assume that you're a tease who's only going to eat up an admit slot?

I did some searching and couldn't find any information about this. I'd appreciate any insight anyone has and I'm sure any responses will be edifying not only for me but for anyone else who has these questions in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

If I only get into my backup programs, then I might decline them all and reapply next cycle with a stronger app.
- If you're accepted into a program in your first cycle, decline, and then reapply again next year, is the program's adcom going to even look at your app or just assume that you're a tease who's only going to eat up an admit slot?

If you decline your backup programs, you will not be considered again...

You must make a decision as to whether a backup program is good enough for you. However, there is absolutely no reason to reapply if you have been interviewed, visited the location, got an acceptance, and then decline it.

I have taken many re-applicants but only because in their re-application they clearly demonstrated that they are better applicants, primarily with better research experiences (perhaps, even a publication), another year of improved GPA, and/or a better MCAT. We have also offer interviews to some people who we interviewed before and rejected, but again, only if they used well that year to make themselves a better applicant.

It is not that late. Apply to programs that you'd attend if you were accepted. If it doesn't work out this year, try again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Question about this as well....

If you don't get in to MD/PhD, can you apply MD only next year to the same school and be seriously considered?

Zaben: Definitely, if you have all the other MD-only boxes checked off (volunteering, clinical experience, etc.) You can be seriously considered for both MD/PhD and MD-only in the same cycle, in fact.

OP: Absolutely agree with Fencer and Lupov. If you apply now, apply like this is the only time. I'd advise against waiting--a year is a long time and you can strengthen a potential re-application as you go. In particular, try to get some more shadowing in, and be prepared to talk about your clinical exposure and interests in this round of interviews.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I'm now planning on whittling down my list to only those schools I'd actually like to go to, i.e., removing any backups. If I don't get in anywhere this cycle, I'll reapply next cycle with a stronger application and cast a wider net that includes backups, to be certain I at least get in somewhere.

Keep in mind though that there's a difference between choosing "only programs you'd like to attend" and "removing any backups." The second option is risky. Adcoms at all the schools you apply to in another cycle will see that you're a reapplicant and may hold it against you, even at schools you didn't apply to in the first round.

Go for broke this time. There are lots of excellent programs all over the country.

It is not that late. Apply to programs that you'd attend if you were accepted. If it doesn't work out this year, try again.

I am also an MD PhD hopeful, but nontrad, low low low gpa due to arranged marriage/divorce (finalized 2010), then 2010-2013 straight As (except 1 class), all upper div most difficult versions (immuno, biochem, ochem, microbiol, med microbiol, bioethics, health disparities, grad grant writing course, phys for engineers, calc2 for sci, etc). Am 29, but took courses in comm college at 9 (starting in 1995), therefore over 220+ units, which means it's almost impossible to up my UG GPA. Nadir 1.09 in Fa 2008, 2010-2013 gpa 3.9, overall around 2.7.

B.S. in MCB, minor chem, minor holistic health w/emphasis on trad chinese med

MCAT 39

Extensive clin exp/EC are all good (former athlete, play piano, working on pilots license, speak 5 languages (3 fluent), volunteer in hospital, est nonprofit dog rescue, blah blah blah)

Research 1 yr basic immuno lab, and 4+ yrs in clinical setting on pancreas/transplantation/rejection. 4 abstracts/pubs/pres at international conferences. Run my own little research thingy now at the hospital. Have 5 MS all 1st auth either submitted or almost submitted to top journals (Ann surg).

Told I can't get thru autoscreen with my GPA. Told it's late to apply this cycle.

Suggestions?

I'd say that rejecting a backup program the first time around does not mean you won't get a bite from the same program the second time through, especially if the program is not a top tier selective program and you have strong connections to the area or good reason to go there. I had a friend who got into an MD/PhD near our hometown turned it down, then applied again 2 years later and ended up being accepted at that program again and ended up going there. So it's not out of the realm of possibility. However it is a very risky strategy and probably won't work if the program is at all selective.

As for reapplication, speaking from personal experience, it really helps to figure out why a program rejected you. My current program director basically straight up told me that I wasn't interviewed the first go around because my application was heavy on bioengineering (I'm a BME major) and he thought it was a poor fit with his program which lacked strong bioE research. He said he thought I was competitive but that was the only reason even though my intentions at the time was to switch to a basic science field. The second time, I had 2 years in a basic cancer bio lab and demonstrated my interest was not in BioE and the program ended up taking me. So sometimes you should call up the program and ask for advice.

@ImmunoLove: Your application is competitive besides the GPA. I'd say cast a wide net and don't be afraid to apply to programs at every level. Some programs autoscreen, but there are lots of programs that do not and your application will get a read. If you just want to get into an MD/PhD program then I say concentrate on the middle-lower tier MSTPs and some solid non-MSTP MD/PhD programs and aim for a few top MSTPs that have a reputation of looking beyond the numbers. It would also really help if you have some connections like a big name research mentor or someone you can turn to to make a few phone calls. If you've done research at institutions where you might like to go, those mentors are your best bet. My program director has told me that he's rescued applications from the reject pile after getting calls from PIs at our institution about applicants. It doesn't have to be major sucking up. If you keep in contact with your mentors and have a good relationship with them then just mention that you applied and are not sure what the status is and mention how much you'd love to attend (it helps if you promise to work for them but it's not required) and whether or not they know the program director and can inquire for you.

Last edited:
I'd say that rejecting a backup program the first time around does not mean you won't get a bite from the same program the second time through, especially if the program is not a top tier selective program and you have strong connections to the area or good reason to go there. I had a friend who got into an MD/PhD near our hometown turned it down, then applied again 2 years later and ended up being accepted at that program again and ended up going there. So it's not out of the realm of possibility. However it is a very risky strategy and probably won't work if the program is at all selective.

As for reapplication, speaking from personal experience, it really helps to figure out why a program rejected you. My current program director basically straight up told me that I wasn't interviewed the first go around because my application was heavy on bioengineering (I'm a BME major) and he thought it was a poor fit with his program which lacked strong bioE research. He said he thought I was competitive but that was the only reason even though my intentions at the time was to switch to a basic science field. The second time, I had 2 years in a basic cancer bio lab and demonstrated my interest was not in BioE and the program ended up taking me. So sometimes you should call up the program and ask for advice.

@ImmunoLove: Your application is competitive besides the GPA. I'd say cast a wide net and don't be afraid to apply to programs at every level. Some programs autoscreen, but there are lots of programs that do not and your application will get a read. If you just want to get into an MD/PhD program then I say concentrate on the middle-lower tier MSTPs and some solid non-MSTP MD/PhD programs and aim for a few top MSTPs that have a reputation of looking beyond the numbers. It would also really help if you have some connections like a big name research mentor or someone you can turn to to make a few phone calls. If you've done research at institutions where you might like to do, those mentors are your best bet. My program director has told me that he's rescued applications from the reject pile after getting calls from PIs at our institution about applicants. It doesn't have to be major sucking up. If you keep in contact with your mentors and have a good relationship with them then just mention that you applied and are not sure what the status is and mention how much you'd love to attend (it helps if you promise to work for them but it's not required) and whether or not they know the program director and can inquire for you.

Thanks for the insight! Do you suppose it's too late to apply? The md threads suggests I should wait...but, I'm not getting any younger, and I know I want to so mdphd which is not a short term investment.

Any other advice/suggestions or institutions that look beyond plain numbers? I feel I've demonstrated academic success the last three years, but still...

I don't think it's too late to apply though you are certainly not early. I can't comment on the MD-only side as I have no experience there. I'd say if you are satisfied that your application is ready then you should do it. If one more year will drastically change your application then you should wait.

As for institutions, I'd say look at some places that may not be as popular to go to. So look beyond places like NYC, UCSF, Boston, etc. Places like TX, Iowa, Alabama, etc may be a good bet. Sorry I can't give better info, it's been a few years since I've played musical chairs with these programs.

Reactions: 1 user