MD/PhD research vs residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Killer_T

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As an MD/PhD finishing up M2, I'm at the point of time where I have to pick a lab to join. Although I'm certain that I'm interested in the work a specific lab does, they are pretty applied/focused in what they do (heart failure related work). Does this mean I'm restricted to very few residency choices as I approach my M3 year? I'd ideally like to be able to make that decision during/after M3 so that I know for sure whether I like a field. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

As an MD/PhD finishing up M2, I'm at the point of time where I have to pick a lab to join. Although I'm certain that I'm interested in the work a specific lab does, they are pretty applied/focused in what they do (heart failure related work). Does this mean I'm restricted to very few residency choices as I approach my M3 year? I'd ideally like to be able to make that decision during/after M3 so that I know for sure whether I like a field. Thanks!

Not really. I've seen some MD/PhDs doing neuro work and then match into derm.

By far the most important things for applying for residency are clinical metrics--step 1 score, clinical grades, LORs, etc...

If your PhD work is directly related to your field of interest, it will help you get a residency in that area. So if you do heart failure research and apply for cardiology fast-track, it may help you significantly. It won't make up for poor results in the clinical metrics, but a successful, related PhD helps you stand out. The other way it helps you stand out is if you do research with big names in that area and get LORs from them.

If your PhD work is not directly related to your field of interest, generally it won't do much for you. It's not necessarily going to hurt you at academic programs. You'll just be judged based on the same clinical metrics above.

Reactions: 1 users
By far the most important things for applying for residency are clinical metrics--step 1 score, clinical grades, LORs, etc...

If your PhD work is directly related to your field of interest, it will help you get a residency in that area. So if you do heart failure research and apply for cardiology fast-track, it may help you significantly. It won't make up for poor results in the clinical metrics, but a successful, related PhD helps you stand out. The other way it helps you stand out is if you do research with big names in that area and get LORs from them.

If your PhD work is not directly related to your field of interest, generally it won't do much for you. It's not necessarily going to hurt you at academic programs. You'll just be judged based on the same clinical metrics above.

That makes sense - heading toward cardiology would be a huge benefit with a PhD in a related field, but an unrelated PhD won't hurt if I apply to other fields (will be on par with the MD only applicants). Thanks!