MD/PhD: Successful applicants, esp w/ rocky undergrad + excellent grad research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baikal1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully applied to a MD/PhD program (such as MIT-Harvard HST program) with funding (particularly if one came from a physics/engineering, non-traditionally bio background)? Where did you come from and where did you end up? Suppose someone had a rocky undergrad for whatever reason (let's just say ~3.0gpa), graduated with a masters with research experience (materials science, electrical engineering, etc) with quality publications (non-clinical, basic research), and then decided to pursue a PhD/MD. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I came from an engineering background but I didn't have a "rocky" undergrad.

W/ an UG GPA that low, I would honestly lower your expectations of getting into Harvard-MIT (and a lot of the really competitive MSTPs). Not saying it's impossible if you do well on the MCAT and have something unique to offer but the cards are really stacked against you. There are plenty of funded MD/PhD programs you could apply to w/o limiting yourself to MSTPs (especially the most top-tier ones)

Last edited:
I'm a little more pessimistic than that. Median GPA at any MSTP is around 3.8 and the median MCAT is like 35/516. You can't really go that much higher to impress people. The baseline is academic excellence and research is the clincher. Below a 3.4, unless you are URM and have a very very impressive research record, I would really not expect much. These programs are tiny. For every person with a rocky undergrad there are 2 with a similar resume and better grades.

I would look at some MSTPs (particularly with strong programs in your field) and then the funded non-MSTPs with great reputations of which there are a handful as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a little more pessimistic than that. Median GPA at any MSTP is around 3.8 and the median MCAT is like 35/516. You can't really go that much higher to impress people. The baseline is academic excellence and research is the clincher. Below a 3.4, unless you are URM and have a very very impressive research record, I would really not expect much. These programs are tiny. For every person with a rocky undergrad there are 2 with a similar resume and better grades.

I would look at some MSTPs (particularly with strong programs in your field) and then the funded non-MSTPs with great reputations of which there are a handful as well.

How can one recover the GPA dip during undergrad by medical extenuating circumstances? What are some paths, other than taking premed courses? Would work/research (non-clinical, basic/fundamental research) experience help ? Thanks!

How can one recover the GPA dip during undergrad by medical extenuating circumstances? What are some paths, other than taking premed courses? Would work/research (non-clinical, basic/fundamental research) experience help ? Thanks!

Gaining more research experience may help but after a certain point you'd be better off doing a straight PhD. What's your motivation for the dual degree program?

Many schools also will let you matriculate into the combined degree program as an internal applicant (not guaranteed). They may not fully fund you, but generally fund your PhD years and sometimes also your M3 and M4 years.

My "rocky" background stemmed from a medical condition I suffered in my freshman/sophomore year. I had an upward GPA trend afterwards 3.3-3.5, I went to a GPA deflating school. My motivation for the dual degree program is to be able to receive both training in medicine and research, and be able to combine clinical thinking of disease mechanisms with physical sciences / engineering approach, as opposed to traditional biologically-based approaches.

Last edited: