MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dextertrip

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying after I graduate so I will have a gap year. I have decided with that year to continue my research in diabetes. I have great LOR and pretty exciting research(as anyone applying to medical school would post on this website:) I would like to apply as an MD/PhD student. Here are my stats.

GPA: 3.86 Cum 3.87 Sci
MCAT: 34 (13,10,11)
600 hours as a Personal Care Provider
700 hours patient intake and psych testing at a NeuroPsych office.
2 year service mission in Iowa for church
~800 hours of research in diabetes lab with thesis in process
eagle scout
Applied Math &BCH major & Business minor

I understand that there is a much different career path of an MD/PhD than an MD. My brother-in-law is actually in an MD/PhD program in San Antonio and I am not looking for information on whether I should do MD/PhD or not. Here is my question:

With an MCAT of 34, which is slightly under the national median for matriculated MD/PhD students, I am having trouble finding the programs that I would be a competitive candidate for. Does anybody have a reference that I can use to find acceptance scores? So far I'm considering

Tucson
Utah
Colorado
Iowa
UNC
San Antonio
USC
Vanderbilt

What suggestions do you have SD? Should I add some schools, or remove others?

Members don't see this ad.

While I'm no expert, I would think that you need to worry about your lack of research experience more than your MCAT. While not great, it's still pretty good, and your GPA is right on.

But isn't 800 hours just two summers worth of work?

Absolutely, this is something I am currently working on. As indicated I have decided to take a gap year to continue with my research. I currently have 800, and work in a lab 10 hours a week, this means by the time I apply it will be higher, and by the time I matriculate it will continue to rise. As of right now, 8 months before I am applying, these are my stats. I am applying to several summer programs but couldn't list it because I haven't yet been excepted into any of the programs. Pending acceptance to these programs, I will delay graduation to Fall of 2015. I suppose my question is, which programs have a history of accepting students with lower MCAT scores, because if the median indeed is just under 34 then they have to exist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are some other schools with MCAT scores from earlier this year.

U Mass -34
MUSC -34
Stony Brook -34
Albert Einstein -34
Rochester -34
UAB -33
Mayo -33
U Maryland -33
UT Houston -35
U Minnesota -34

Absolutely, this is something I am currently working on. As indicated I have decided to take a gap year to continue with my research. I currently have 800, and work in a lab 10 hours a week, this means by the time I apply it will be higher, and by the time I matriculate it will continue to rise. As of right now, 8 months before I am applying, these are my stats. I am applying to several summer programs but couldn't list it because I haven't yet been excepted into any of the programs. Pending acceptance to these programs, I will delay graduation to Fall of 2015. I suppose my question is, which programs have a history of accepting students with lower MCAT scores, because if the median indeed is just under 34 then they have to exist.

If you have to measure your research in terms of hours, it's unlikely that you have enough research for MSTP's. These programs like to look at productive research. What kind of independent research did you do? What have you learned about the scientific method? Were you productive (Presentations, publications, thesis, etc.)?

Your goal isn't to accumulate hours, although it is an indirect result. It's to be show programs that you are a productive researcher.

Reactions: 2 users
Your research and your fit within a program is the most important part of the application process, provided your gpa and MCAT scores are within an acceptable range (don't apply with a 28, in other words). You'll be there for a long time, and the school doesn't want a bad fit with research interests or students who don't fit into the program.

If you're serious about MD/PhD, you need significant research experience, at least 2-3 years, not side projects or just a thesis. You may want to hold off on applying until you have this, as you are likely to be competitive for lower-tier MSTP and non-MSTP MD/PhD programs if you have more research.

Reactions: 1 users
Not to be discouraging because I hated being discouraged from MD/PhD when I was considering it (decided I'd rather do straight MD or an MD-MS anyway just because I no longer see the benefit of MD/PhD for what I want to do) but the typical MD/PhD applicant is nuts.

These are people you wouldn't believe exist. I know someone who is applying right now... They're a Goldwater scholar, currently writing a paper, have been to many conferences, have a full ride scholarship to my university, president of several clubs, plans mission trips to 3rd world countries, studied abroad and did research whilst abroad, plays on the school soccer team... I don't know how they sleep. But they're way smarter than I am/most people so probably don't study as much.

I would consider taking a gap year to strengthen your app. A lot of people apply with masters degrees already, so that's something to keep in mind too when you're asking yourself if your research experience is enough.

It's unfortunately the experience is measured by how much you publish/present. Some people get more lucky with their projects than others. I do think, however, that people without publications can have a chance to shine at interviews. If you really know your work and your field I would hope/think that means more than the guy with a Nature paper but no real understanding because his PI was nice to him.