Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

MD prescribing in a state that he's not licensed to practice medicine

Discussion in 'Allopathic' started by SWSF, 01.14.12.

1. SWSF

SWSF

Pharmacist

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am a new pharmacist. I am curious as to what is the law for physicians prescribing in different states.

(1) Can a prescriber, who doesn't have a license to practice in CA, call in a verbal for a CA patient? For an example, MD is licensed in NY but not in CA. Patient lives in CA and the pharmacy is in CA. Can MD call in a verbal to the CA pharmacy?

(2) MD is licensed in NY but not in CA. Patient lives in NY but the pharmacy is a mail order pharmacy and is located in CA. The pharmacy is planning to mail the prescription to NY. Can MD call in a verbal to the CA mail order pharmacy?
  2. cbrons

cbrons love machine

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I don't know, I think it depends. You should ask in the pharmacy forum. I'm pretty sure it only matters whether or not the DEA number is valid. I thought a prescriber in one state could write a prescription that could be filled in any of the fifty. This is partly because if I get a prescription filled at a walgreens at home and then go on vacation to another state, that walgreens out of state will still fill the prescription.
  3. peacewalker

peacewalker

Pharmacist
    An MD can prescribe and call in a rx to a different state in which he is not licensed in, providing that the pharmacist determines in "good faith" that there exists a patient /physician relationship and that the MD is qualified to prescribe that certain medication.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  4. bassvp

bassvp MS3

Medical Student
    Pharmacist SDN 2+ Year Member
    this.
  5. michaelrack

michaelrack All In at the wrong time SDN Advisor

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I am licensed in Mississippi and Alabama. One of my clinics is in MS, 2 miles from the Mississipppi/TN border. Haven't had any problems. Other than a "border" situation, I try to avoid calling in CONTROLLED substances to pharmacies in a state in which I am not licensed. Have occasionally called in non-narcotics for pts on vacation.
  6. dr zaius

dr zaius Lowly Intern

Resident [Any Field]
    Army SDN 5+ Year Member
    Off topic, but I'm pretty sure my dad went to your clinic a few years ago. Small world.
  7. sirenomelia

sirenomelia

Attending Physician
    Physician
    it varies state to state and depends on what medicine is prescribed. Certain states, Texas and I think Idaho and very strict about practicing in their state without a license and may charge a physician with a felony if they are not properly credentialed.
  8. bassvp

bassvp MS3

Medical Student
    To the best of my knowledge, even strict states will take OOS non-controlled prescriptions. In Texas (as a good example of a strict state), pharmacies may not fill a controlled substance Rx from OOS (as far as I can recall). However, even in states that will take OOS controlled substances Rx's, you're better off making a phone call to determine that patient/physician relationship.
  9. bassvp

bassvp MS3

Medical Student
    Additionally (in case you haven't run into this yet), a military physician must carry a license in the state in which they're located to have their patients be able to fill prescriptions off-base.
  10. IlDestriero

IlDestriero Ether Man

Attending Physician
    Physician Faculty SDN 5+ Year Member
    I wrote hundreds of rx while in the military without a license in that state, most for controlled substances. I'm not sure you're correct, or perhaps it's a new or state specific regulation. All they want is a DEA #.
  11. bassvp

bassvp MS3

Medical Student
    I'll check on this to make sure I'm not being an idiot (which is entirely possible).
    Last edited: 01.16.12

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal