MD prescribing in a state that he's not licensed to practice medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SWSF

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new pharmacist. I am curious as to what is the law for physicians prescribing in different states.

(1) Can a prescriber, who doesn't have a license to practice in CA, call in a verbal for a CA patient? For an example, MD is licensed in NY but not in CA. Patient lives in CA and the pharmacy is in CA. Can MD call in a verbal to the CA pharmacy?

(2) MD is licensed in NY but not in CA. Patient lives in NY but the pharmacy is a mail order pharmacy and is located in CA. The pharmacy is planning to mail the prescription to NY. Can MD call in a verbal to the CA mail order pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a new pharmacist. I am curious as to what is the law for physicians prescribing in different states.

(1) Can a prescriber, who doesn't have a license to practice in CA, call in a verbal for a CA patient? For an example, MD is licensed in NY but not in CA. Patient lives in CA and the pharmacy is in CA. Can MD call in a verbal to the CA pharmacy?

(2) MD is licensed in NY but not in CA. Patient lives in NY but the pharmacy is a mail order pharmacy and is located in CA. The pharmacy is planning to mail the prescription to NY. Can MD call in a verbal to the CA mail order pharmacy?

I don't know, I think it depends. You should ask in the pharmacy forum. I'm pretty sure it only matters whether or not the DEA number is valid. I thought a prescriber in one state could write a prescription that could be filled in any of the fifty. This is partly because if I get a prescription filled at a walgreens at home and then go on vacation to another state, that walgreens out of state will still fill the prescription.

An MD can prescribe and call in a rx to a different state in which he is not licensed in, providing that the pharmacist determines in "good faith" that there exists a patient /physician relationship and that the MD is qualified to prescribe that certain medication.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
An MD can prescribe and call in a rx to a different state in which he is not licensed in, providing that the pharmacist determines in "good faith" that there exists a patient /physician relationship and that the MD is qualified to prescribe that certain medication.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

this.

I am licensed in Mississippi and Alabama. One of my clinics is in MS, 2 miles from the Mississipppi/TN border. Haven't had any problems. Other than a "border" situation, I try to avoid calling in CONTROLLED substances to pharmacies in a state in which I am not licensed. Have occasionally called in non-narcotics for pts on vacation.

I am licensed in Mississippi and Alabama. One of my clinics is in MS, 2 miles from the Mississipppi/TN border. Haven't had any problems. Other than a "border" situation, I try to avoid calling in CONTROLLED substances to pharmacies in a state in which I am not licensed. Have occasionally called in non-narcotics for pts on vacation.

Off topic, but I'm pretty sure my dad went to your clinic a few years ago. Small world.

it varies state to state and depends on what medicine is prescribed. Certain states, Texas and I think Idaho and very strict about practicing in their state without a license and may charge a physician with a felony if they are not properly credentialed.

it varies state to state and depends on what medicine is prescribed. Certain states, Texas and I think Idaho and very strict about practicing in their state without a license and may charge a physician with a felony if they are not properly credentialed.

To the best of my knowledge, even strict states will take OOS non-controlled prescriptions. In Texas (as a good example of a strict state), pharmacies may not fill a controlled substance Rx from OOS (as far as I can recall). However, even in states that will take OOS controlled substances Rx's, you're better off making a phone call to determine that patient/physician relationship.

Additionally (in case you haven't run into this yet), a military physician must carry a license in the state in which they're located to have their patients be able to fill prescriptions off-base.

Additionally (in case you haven't run into this yet), a military physician must carry a license in the state in which they're located to have their patients be able to fill prescriptions off-base.

I wrote hundreds of rx while in the military without a license in that state, most for controlled substances. I'm not sure you're correct, or perhaps it's a new or state specific regulation. All they want is a DEA #.