MD Programs with strong community service missions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old&InTheWay

Attending
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's a little late in the game at this point, but I just want to make sure I am not missing any obvious choices here. I am a 34 year-old non-traditional student. I have a 3.72 cGPA (with a strong upward trend), 3.98 sGPA and a 34 MCAT. I have seven months of volunteer/shadowing in an ED and have shadowed several other physicians in specialties that interest me. I have worked for years with intellectually and developmentally disabled adults (direct care, advocacy, service coordination, ect.) and am really committed to working with this and other marginalized populations.

I am a re-applicant after being waitlisted at all three schools I interviewed at last cycle (I think not getting accepted was largely due to bad luck as I felt the interviews all went well to excellent). The big mistake I made last time was applying to many schools with strong research missions. I was probably only seriously considered at 5-6 of the 12 schools to which I applied.

Here's where I have applied this time:

Albany
Rochester
CU Denver
UVM
BU
Tufts
Virginia Commonwealth
EVMS
Wake Forrest
St Louis University
Tulane

I have interviews lined up at Rochester, Tulane and CU (still waiting on the others). Money is tight for me so I have tried to be careful in targeting schools where I have a good chance. Are there any other schools that I should add at this point that would really value my demonstrated commitment to working with the underserved. I want to exclude schools where I will be screened for having no research experience, as well as state schools with strong IS bias. I am also applying to a handful of DO programs. There are some parts of the country in which my wife and I are really not interested in living, but if there is a school that is a really good match, we could suck it up.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Check out the Jesuit schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's a little late in the game at this point, but I just want to make sure I am not missing any obvious choices here. I am a 34 year-old non-traditional Colorado resident (grew up in Boston). I have a 3.72 cGPA (with a strong upward trend), 3.98 sGPA and a 34 MCAT. I have seven months of volunteer/shadowing in an ED and have shadowed several other physicians in specialties that interest me. I have worked for years with intellectually and developmentally disabled adults (direct care, advocacy, service coordination, ect.) and am really committed to working with this and other marginalized populations.

I am a re-applicant after being waitlisted at all three schools I interviewed at last cycle (I think not getting accepted was largely due to bad luck as I felt the interviews all went well to excellent). The big mistake I made last time was applying to many schools with strong research missions. I was probably only seriously considered at 5-6 of the 12 schools to which I applied.

Here's where I have applied this time:

Albany
Rochester
CU Denver
UVM
BU
Tufts
Virginia Commonwealth
EVMS
Wake Forrest
St Louis University
Tulane

I have interviews lined up at Rochester, Tulane and CU (still waiting on the others). Money is tight for me so I have tried to be careful in targeting schools where I have a good chance. Are there any other schools that I should add at this point that would really value my demonstrated commitment to working with the underserved. I want to exclude schools where I will be screened for having no research experience, as well as state schools with strong IS bias. I am also applying to a handful of DO programs. There are some parts of the country in which my wife and I are really not interested in living, but if there is a school that is a really good match, we could suck it up.

Thanks!
This recent thread asked the same question. Responses are summarized in the first post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ectations-for-humanistic-involvement.1067947/

Reactions: 1 user