MD School Choice Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdlykins91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am going to try again in the hopes that I will get a bite this time... I am trying to decide where to apply and need some help! My stats are around a 3.89-3.90 GPA. As far as the MCAT, I took it on the 31st of May, so I don't know what my score is going to come back. I took five or six of the AAMC practice tests and averaged a 34. So I am hoping to score around a 34... Maybe a point or two above or below. I felt pretty good about the exam when I took it... Better, at least, than I felt on the practice exams. I think that my EC's are alright... Volunteering at a free clinic every (or almost every) Saturday during school for one year (and will continue, of course... The experience has been mind-blowing!), a medical brigade to Honduras, involvement in a genetics research lab with one publication and a couple of more in the works (hopefully 1st author on one or two), attending a national conference on Drosophila research, volunteering in a free clinic this summer and working as a medical assistant/ shadowing a family practice physician. I am currently planning on applying to the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine (I am an undergrad at OU), OHSU in Portland (I am an Oregon resident), and the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston (I was born there and my mother's family still resides there... A beautiful part of the country)... But I need some suggestions about where else to apply! I don't know how far is too high to reach, or where I should apply as a "safety" (though I hate to use that word... Getting in somewhere is more important than anything!!! And you will be an MD regardless of where you go to medical school!!!) Thanks so much for anyone who takes the time to answer! I really appreciate it!

Thanks so much,

Joseph

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

I am going to try again in the hopes that I will get a bite this time... I am trying to decide where to apply and need some help! My stats are around a 3.89-3.90 GPA. As far as the MCAT, I took it on the 31st of May, so I don't know what my score is going to come back. I took five or six of the AAMC practice tests and averaged a 34. So I am hoping to score around a 34... Maybe a point or two above or below. I felt pretty good about the exam when I took it... Better, at least, than I felt on the practice exams. I think that my EC's are alright... Volunteering at a free clinic every (or almost every) Saturday during school for one year (and will continue, of course... The experience has been mind-blowing!), a medical brigade to Honduras, involvement in a genetics research lab with one publication and a couple of more in the works (hopefully 1st author on one or two), attending a national conference on Drosophila research, volunteering in a free clinic this summer and working as a medical assistant/ shadowing a family practice physician. I am currently planning on applying to the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine (I am an undergrad at OU), OHSU in Portland (I am an Oregon resident), and the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston (I was born there and my mother's family still resides there... A beautiful part of the country)... But I need some suggestions about where else to apply! I don't know how far is too high to reach, or where I should apply as a "safety" (though I hate to use that word... Getting in somewhere is more important than anything!!! And you will be an MD regardless of where you go to medical school!!!) Thanks so much for anyone who takes the time to answer! I really appreciate it!

Thanks so much,

Joseph

Hopkins.
Penn.
Vanderbilt.
Northwestern.
Baylor.
UCLA
Columbia.
NYU.
Boston University.
Duke.

These schools are all well within your reach. I would balance your list with some more middle tier schools as well (University of Virginia, Iowa, UNC, Rochester)

Best of luck to you, but I don't think it's going to take much luck for a successful application cycle in your case.

Hello All,

Thanks so much,

Joseph

Looks good. Don't apply to MUSC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd add Baylor to your list and a few more OOS-friendly schools such as Temple, Drexel, Jefferson, NYMC, etc...

Just trust me. Don't.

Do you have any suggestions for alternatives, then? I really adore Charleston, and my mother's entire family lives there, so it would be a neat place to spend the next couple of years of my life. But if there is a legitimate reason to be concerned, please let me know! I really appreciate the people that have responded thus far. I would welcome other perspectives too!!!

Do you have any suggestions for alternatives, then? I really adore Charleston, and my mother's entire family lives there, so it would be a neat place to spend the next couple of years of my life. But if there is a legitimate reason to be concerned, please let me know! I really appreciate the people that have responded thus far. I would welcome other perspectives too!!!

There is nothing wrong with MUSC, especially if you want to remain in S.C. My PI went to MUSC and she is one of the brightest and most creative minds I have ever had the good fortune of learning from. Do not limit yourself; MUSC likes to see strong state ties, which you clearly have.

Well, you've been warned. Good luck--you'll need it.

I do appreciate you offering your opinion on MUSC. I was just hoping that you would be willing to suggest other possibilities. I am still welcoming other opinions. I am still trying to consider adding a couple of the reach schools as well as some middle-tier ones, especially those friendly to non-residents. Any other input would be greatly appreciated.

So, I got my MCAT score back, and I was very pleased!!! But I am concerned that the score might be a bit lopsided... It was 11/14/S/11... 36S... So, with this score (which was higher than my predicted scores!!!), where can I be shooting??? Any suggestions about schools, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!!