MD MD school list for 3.55/3.25 and 33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sean Lee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I just got a 33 (10 VR, 11 BS, 12 PS) on my MCAT, I figured that I might as well try my luck with MD schools. People tell me to apply to 15-20 MD schools and 5-10 DO schools. So far, I have 10 or so possible MD schools to apply to. I would greatly appreciate any feedback and addition to this list. Thanks!

MD schools (in no particular order)

State School(s) (I am not from CA, TX, FL, or NY!)
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine
Wake Forest School of Medicine
Hofstra School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Oakland University School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
New York Medical College (NYMC)
Stritch/Loyola School of Medicine

How does my current list of 10 or so schools look? I also need 5 more MD schools to add to this list. I am a male Indian-American, if that is relevant.

Members don't see this ad.

And to clarify:

cGPA = 3.55+
sGPA = 3.25+

Brief list of ECs

-History honors thesis (received high honors and published in university press)
-3 months of paid summer research
-currently volunteering in a lab and shadowing
-currently working part time in a relative's IT business
-200 hours of hospital volunteering hours (accumulated over 2 years)
-150 hours of community service with habitat for humanity

Pretty bare ECs, it seems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, no.

My ancestry/ethnicity is the second most populous country in the world!

Ah, gotcha. Probably won't do you any favors in the URM department.

I think you should definitely add some DO schools to that list. Good list of MD schools. May want to apply to more if you want to maximize your chances. You're pretty borderline for lower-end MD and DO. Good luck.

Since I just got a 33 (10 VR, 11 BS, 12 PS) on my MCAT, I figured that I might as well try my luck with MD schools. People tell me to apply to 15-20 MD schools and 5-10 DO schools. So far, I have 10 or so possible MD schools to apply to. I would greatly appreciate any feedback and addition to this list. Thanks!

MD schools (in no particular order)

State School(s) (I am not from CA, TX, FL, or NY!)

How does my current list of 10 or so schools look? I also need 5 more MD schools to add to this list. I am a male Indian-American, if that is relevant.

If you're Philly friendly, check out Temple and Jefferson as well.

I think you should definitely add some DO schools to that list. Good list of MD schools. May want to apply to more if you want to maximize your chances. You're pretty borderline for lower-end MD and DO. Good luck.

I understand I am borderline for MD, but for DO as well?

Others told me that I am close to a lock for DO schools.

I believe DO schools have 27 MCAT averages.

You aren't anywhere near borderline for DO. I had a similar MCAT, slightly lower cGPA, slightly higher sGPA, received 3 DO acceptances, and was able to turn 4 DO II.

You aren't anywhere near borderline for DO. I had a similar MCAT, slightly lower cGPA, slightly higher sGPA, received 3 DO acceptances, and was able to turn 4 DO II.

Congrats!

Did you also have a DO letter?

Members don't see this ad :)

No, I mean that on a spectrum, you sit somewhere between barely getting into a lower-ranked MD school, and sit above the average DO accepted student---meaning you have great chances at DO

No, I mean that on a spectrum, you sit somewhere between barely getting into a lower-ranked MD school, and sit above the average DO accepted student---meaning you have great chances at DO

Gotcha.

All MDs are reaches for me, and I gladly accept that.

However, I just hope that I am a top candidate for DO schools. As long as I get into a school, then I am good.

Gotcha.

All MDs are reaches for me, and I gladly accept that.

However, I just hope that I am a top candidate for DO schools. As long as I get into a school, then I am good.

That's a great, healthy mentality to have. Either way you'll end up a practicing physician.

Reactions: 1 user
use the @ symbol and then their name to "call " them. No spaces.

Goro's list below. sGPA will hurt

State School
Rush
MCW
SLU
All schools in PA except Penn
All other new MD schools
Any DO program (including mine)
tufts
Albany
GWU
Georgetown
Loma Linda (read their mission statement first)
Miami

@Goro

I should be very competitive with my stats for DO schools, right?

At every one of them! So send us an app, OK?

Got it!

I'll call you again once I finalize my list of 10 DO schools!

And I love the call option on SDN...

Also, will 15 MD schools and 10 DO schools be plenty?

And I guess that since we are talking about grades/ECs and school list, I have to mention my institutional action again, to give the full picture.

Basically, I was placed on disciplinary probation during senior year for locking myself up in the school's library past its closing hours. I was doing intensive research in the library for my history thesis in the wee hours of the night/morning, and I didn't realize that the library had closed. When I finally realized what happened, I had to call campus police in order to get out of the library. There has been a series of break-ins and thefts in the library, so the administration introduced rigid rules prohibiting people to remain in the library after closing hours. The dean completely understood that it was an honest mistake on my part and that I had no ill intent. However, she had to put me on probation because that's the rule.

So there you have it. Should I add a few more schools to counteract this?