MD schools screen out apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sammy1024

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a really tough time my freshman year and ended up a 2.0 GPA. I spent the next 3 years raising it to a 3.2, but when I calculate my GPA, and sGPA, I get a 2.977 and a 2.85, respectively.

I'm aiming for at least a 30 on the MCAT, and i'm at around 28 right now, with 1.5 months to go until my MCAT.

I was wondering if i'll probably be screened out? I realize that my GPA is pretty laughable compared to all the amazing people getting into MD programs with their much higher GPA's, but I was just wondering if i'll just be screened out and they wouldn't even look at my app?

Members don't see this ad.

Only 15% of applicants with your GPA and MCAT 28 are accepted to MD schools. That 15% includes URM and those who have post graduate degrees so unless you are in those groups your chances could be only 5%. You would have a better chance at DO schools but apply to at least 20.

Is it worth it to apply and possibly get all rejections and then take a post bacc the following year or not apply at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that you'll pass the initial screen, especially with a GPA below 3.0 (Personally, I don't know if you would pass a screen with a GPA below a 3.2) and an MCAT below 30 for MD programs. With your current statistics, why aren't you considering DO programs?

Therefore, I wouldn't apply until after pursuing a post-bacc because it would be a waste of time and resources that you should be using to improve your GPA and MCAT score. Furthermore, reapplicants are often placed in a different pool than first-time applicants, so you'll have a tougher road ahead since it will be expected that you've made significant improvements to your previous application.

I've been reading some SDN forums about DO, and many people have said that DO's have a tougher time getting into specialized residencies, such as surgery, and I don't want to do DO if I wont be able to pursue the specialization that I want.

You won't make md this cycle....DO or pstbac/smp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been reading some SDN forums about DO, and many people have said that DO's have a tougher time getting into specialized residencies, such as surgery, and I don't want to do DO if I wont be able to pursue the specialization that I want.

DOs have a tougher time matching surgical specialties (e.g., urology, ENT, neuro, etc) and some lifestyle specialties like rad and derm. However these specialties are extremely competitive even from the MD route. DOs can still match into these residencies its just a little tougher. General surgery is pretty reasonable for DO students.

Also, you'd get pre-screened at most, if not all DO schools. Your best bet is do retakes for DO grade replacement and possibly an SMP if need be.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently in the process of applying for a calstate post-bacc program, and was wondering if that's the same thing as smp? They don't offer courses to repeat my undergrad courses, but they do offer extra courses, i've never taken before.

SMPs are different than post-bacs. SMPs are graduate level programs that are very similar to a first year med school curiculum. They pretty much make or break your chances of getting into med school. Post-bac programs consist of undergrad courses and are generally designed for students who are career changers and didn't complete the necessary coursework in undergrad. In addition to taking more upper level science courses you should really try and repeat as many courses as you can with a C or lower. It will help get your GPA up much more quickly than just simply taking more classes - as you gain more credits the return in bolstering your GPA progressively diminishes.

My gpa is brought down because my freshman year I failed 3 classes, and so when those D's get factored in, it brings it down. Otherwise i've received mostly A's or B's with 1 C in my remaining 3 years.

If you were to replace the Ds and C with As what would your GPA be? Also, how long until you're done with undergrad?

Well my "DO" gpa is 3.137 with the replaced grades, and if I replaced that last C it may got up just slightly like 3.15 - 3.17?

With a high MCAT, strong ECs, and applying broadly you could potentially squeak by. However, you're best off retaking those courses and taking a couple semesters of upper level science courses aiming for more As than Bs. Based on your GPA it looks like you have a very strong B average and in this case Bs, although not bad, aren't going to do you too many favors.

What would you consider a high MCAT? 34? 36? I'm just wondering. And for the EC's does that mean I should have a couple things i've done for years? Right now I have a hospital internship with hands on experience for about 3 years and then i've shadowed doctor's in the OR for at least 100 hours, more like maybe 150.

Without a strong showing on the MCAT and completion of a reputable SMP, your odds of MD school are basically nil. DO is a very real possibility with a moderately high MCAT and grade replacement of some of your first year courses.

What would you consider a high MCAT? 34? 36? I'm just wondering. And for the EC's does that mean I should have a couple things i've done for years? Right now I have a hospital internship with hands on experience for about 3 years and then i've shadowed doctor's in the OR for at least 100 hours, more like maybe 150.

Volunteer and leadership experiences would really help, as would research (though its not absolutely necessary). Keep in mind that for DO schools you'll need a physician LOR, and ideally one from a DO (a handful of school explicitly require it be from a DO). I strongly encourage you to take some time to get your GPA up though.

Well my "DO" gpa is 3.137 with the replaced grades, and if I replaced that last C it may got up just slightly like 3.15 - 3.17?

I got into a DO school with a DO 3.1 and a 31mcat.....had 9 interviews (cancelled them all due to geography/expense after getting that acceptance). MD gpa was a 3.0 barely, 1 interview at my local school because someone cancelled last minute, not even an interview at the other 9MD schools I applied to. If you broaden your aim to DO you can get in with a reasonable mcat....you can do this

You ought to worry about getting into medical school before worrying about specialties.

Your information is also dated. My grads are getting into some very nice, competetive specialties, including Radiology, Neurology, Anaesthesiology, Pathology, Opthalmology, Surgery, orthopedics, and a few others. I've met DO nephrologists, dermatologists and rheumatologists. Indeed, the Dean at TUCOM-NV is one of the latter. Another dean I've met is a cardiologist.

Just retake any F/D/C science coursework and let AACOMAS' grade replacement policy do its magic.

Reactions: 1 users
I already retook the D's and there's only one class left that I got a C. A lot of my grades are B's so ahould I retake those as well?

I already retook the D's and there's only one class left that I got a C. A lot of my grades are B's so ahould I retake those as well?

Unless you have a TON of credits, retaking the remaining C and a couple semesters of primarily A work in upper level courses should do the trick; along with a strong MCAT (27+ for DO) and continuing to build ECs.

apply DO. yes it is harder to get competitive residencies but not impossible. there is a DO radiologist at my top 20 medical school who did his radiology training at harvard for example. there are also DO only residencies, even for dermatology. go that route. don't think mcat or gpa will get you into an MD program