MD, then PhD? or MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riffraphe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched the archives, but I couldn't find a thread of a situation quite like mine; hopefully I'm not being redundant here.

I was a pretty mediocre student as an undergrad, partied a lot, and the wages of my sins are a 3.2 gpa, and a BA in Computer Science not because I enjoyed it, but because I happened to be good at it without really working too hard.

Since graduating, I did a year-long neuroscience post-bac, which involved taking some classes, and 8 months of research in an electrophysiology lab. I'm torn between wanting to pursue an MD and a PhD. While I enjoy research, I also want to directly work with/be involved in helping patients, and I really enjoyed the six months I spent working as a caretaker in a residential facility for adults with developmental disabilities.

I'm currently taking my pre-med classes, and although my GPA since graduating is a 3.7 or so, obviously no admission committee is going to ignore my pre-bac grades. I'd like to apply to MD/PhD programs, but I seriously doubt I'd get accepted given my GPA.

Should I forgo hopes of a combined MD/PhD, and plan on getting an MD first and then applying to PhD programs, or is there a possibility of actually getting into combined programs if I get great MCAT scores, and spend another year or so doing research?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not actually sure how MSTP views pre- vs post- bacc GPA's so I'll defer that to others.

Yes, you will need to do well on the MCAT and need more research experience. I don't know if one year will be enough, though. By the time you apply, you won't have been in your lab for very long so you won't have much to say. In fact, as general rule of thumb I say it takes several months (3-6 mos) before you really start doing anything. After that, it will probably be a year of work to accompish something worthwhile. Of course, every lab and PI is different so your mileage may vary, but this seems to pretty generalizable.

Your GPA is low, but a good research experience (with good LOR's) and good MCAT score can compensate enough to get you in somewhere.

Just my $00.02 (which seems to be losing value at the moment... thank you Mr President!)

-X

I searched the archives, but I couldn't find a thread of a situation quite like mine; hopefully I'm not being redundant here.

I was a pretty mediocre student as an undergrad, partied a lot, and the wages of my sins are a 3.2 gpa, and a BA in Computer Science not because I enjoyed it, but because I happened to be good at it without really working too hard.

Since graduating, I did a year-long neuroscience post-bac, which involved taking some classes, and 8 months of research in an electrophysiology lab. I'm torn between wanting to pursue an MD and a PhD. While I enjoy research, I also want to directly work with/be involved in helping patients, and I really enjoyed the six months I spent working as a caretaker in a residential facility for adults with developmental disabilities.

I'm currently taking my pre-med classes, and although my GPA since graduating is a 3.7 or so, obviously no admission committee is going to ignore my pre-bac grades. I'd like to apply to MD/PhD programs, but I seriously doubt I'd get accepted given my GPA.

Should I forgo hopes of a combined MD/PhD, and plan on getting an MD first and then applying to PhD programs, or is there a possibility of actually getting into combined programs if I get great MCAT scores, and spend another year or so doing research?

thanks

Provided that you do well on your MCAT and are able to articulate a sincere interest/dedication to scientific research on your application and in your interviews, I don't think your GPA will really affect you much. At least that's what I would say if I were on (or ever am on) an MD/PhD admissions committee.

As far as doing an MD first and then a PhD: It's a nice thought, but reasonably unlikely to actually work out. By the time you finish your MD you'll have significant debt and a significant itch to start making money to pay it off. The idea of starting a PhD at that point will probably have lost a lot of its appeal by the time you get to that stage.