MD versus DO (for older re-applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rookie mistakes sunk this cycle for me. I applied rather late to just 8 schools (2 reach, 6 reasonable--at least I found out about MSAR!); I got one interview invite, but was rejected recently. I know my interviews could have gone better--I've had plenty of interviewing experience, but once I got to the school, even though everyone there was really friendly and helpful, I felt like I wouldn't fit in there. I tried to ignore that but I felt like a fraud, if that makes sense. It was an instate school, but I'm new to the state and have been struggling a bit to fit in here in general. I'm going to ask the school for feedback, at any rate, and I'm also going to change a few other things about my application, and definitely apply the very first day.

My marks are fine, 34/3.8, and I've had a bunch of clinical experience working as a nurse's aide, but I'm in my thirties. I don't feel too old for MD although I think I would be too old for some programs, but some of my work experience has been sort of blue-collar, and I've moved around a lot. Lately I've been wondering if a DO school would be a better fit. I've started reading about the differences between the allopathic and osteopathic approaches and the latter seems just as reasonable as the former, if not more so. I guess my next step is to find a DO to shadow....

Meanwhile I'm looking for schools that emphasize clinical skills and community outreach, and that accept students with a wider range of experiences--would I have better luck with DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

As far as age goes, there is not much difference between MD and DO. The average age at MD programs is 24/25 and DO programs is 25/26. You'll be older than most wherever you go, but there will be folks in their 30s and 40s everywhere.

Rather than focusing on MD vs DO, focus on programs that excite you (there will be both MD and DO programs that you like and don't like). You have great stats and if you apply early with a strong app, you'll get in.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine with either MD or DO next cycle if you don't make the same mistakes twice.

Reactions: 1 users
This is exactly what DO schools have to offer, and look for.

Meanwhile I'm looking for schools that emphasize clinical skills and community outreach, and that accept students with a wider range of experiences--would I have better luck with DO schools?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, everyone! I'm actually feeling sort of excited, and not despondent, about reapplying, but I had doubts about my age.

Rather than focusing on MD vs DO, focus on programs that excite you (there will be both MD and DO programs that you like and don't like).
This seems the way to go, thanks! I have a lot of research ahead of me....

This is exactly what DO schools have to offer, and look for.

Meanwhile I'm looking for schools that emphasize clinical skills and community outreach, and that accept students with a wider range of experiences--would I have better luck with DO schools?

This is very encouraging, thank you!

Rookie mistakes sunk this cycle for me. I applied rather late to just 8 schools (2 reach, 6 reasonable--at least I found out about MSAR!); I got one interview invite, but was rejected recently. I know my interviews could have gone better--I've had plenty of interviewing experience, but once I got to the school, even though everyone there was really friendly and helpful, I felt like I wouldn't fit in there. I tried to ignore that but I felt like a fraud, if that makes sense. It was an instate school, but I'm new to the state and have been struggling a bit to fit in here in general. I'm going to ask the school for feedback, at any rate, and I'm also going to change a few other things about my application, and definitely apply the very first day.

My marks are fine, 34/3.8, and I've had a bunch of clinical experience working as a nurse's aide, but I'm in my thirties. I don't feel too old for MD although I think I would be too old for some programs, but some of my work experience has been sort of blue-collar, and I've moved around a lot. Lately I've been wondering if a DO school would be a better fit. I've started reading about the differences between the allopathic and osteopathic approaches and the latter seems just as reasonable as the former, if not more so. I guess my next step is to find a DO to shadow....

My advice to you would be to find an older Osteopathic primary care physician. The older they are, the more traditional they will likely be i.e. still practice OMM. With your statistics and being non-trad, you would get into both MD and DO. The choice is up to you with which ideology you would like to practice by and represent.

My advice to you would be to find an older Osteopathic primary care physician. The older they are, the more traditional they will likely be i.e. still practice OMM.

Thanks! I hadn't thought of OMM, and that's an important consideration.

DO schools look favorably on older, "second career" applicants. Had a lot in my class. I think you'd find there would be more people like yourself at a DO school. More people you could relate to.

Thanks, everyone! I'm actually feeling sort of excited, and not despondent, about reapplying, but I had doubts about my age.

This seems the way to go, thanks! I have a lot of research ahead of me....

This is very encouraging, thank you!

I have read everything and agree with you trying to find schools that excite you. Your stats make you a good candidate. When applying for next cycle, apply early, apply broad, and make the changes in your application and personal statement that you things need changes. You keep reffering to your age, I don't know how old are you, but I was 41 when I applied and will be starting this fall and will be almost 42. (By the way my scores where a lot less than yours). Good luck.

DO schools look favorably on older, "second career" applicants. Had a lot in my class. I think you'd find there would be more people like yourself at a DO school. More people you could relate to.

That is good to know! I have to think of not only how I'll fit in, but of how adcoms will think I'll fit in.

I have read everything and agree with you trying to find schools that excite you. Your stats make you a good candidate. When applying for next cycle, apply early, apply broad, and make the changes in your application and personal statement that you things need changes. You keep reffering to your age, I don't know how old are you, but I was 41 when I applied and will be starting this fall and will be almost 42. (By the way my scores where a lot less than yours). Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback and good luck! I'm a few years younger than you. Sometimes I'm cool with it, but other times I think "man, am I getting a little too old to be signing up for 8 years in the hole?" lol

Apply to both, see whee your interviews take you, and go whee you feel most comfortable. I'm a nontrad that had very similar stats to yours (3.81/35) that felt the DO path matched my career goals and personality a bit better, so I went that way. But if you're looking at extremely competitive specialties, you might want to make your app more MD heavy, as DO can be a bit more limiting in that regard. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback and good luck! I'm a few years younger than you. Sometimes I'm cool with it, but other times I think "man, am I getting a little too old to be signing up for 8 years in the hole?" lol
Apply to mostly MD and 5-6 DO as back up... If this is what you want to do, you should not worry too much about your age. I am a RN in my 30s and will be starting med school in July...

Just keep your hopes up and work hard and leave the rest of it on God.

Apply to both, see whee your interviews take you, and go whee you feel most comfortable. I'm a nontrad that had very similar stats to yours (3.81/35) that felt the DO path matched my career goals and personality a bit better, so I went that way. But if you're looking at extremely competitive specialties, you might want to make your app more MD heavy, as DO can be a bit more limiting in that regard. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience! Makes me feel less odd about considering DO since my stats are supposedly "good enough for MD." There are some aspects of DO that attract me, and since I'm not terribly interested in the most competitive specialties at this point (and I might be discounted from these anyway due to my age), DO might not limit me very much at all. I plan to apply to both MD and DO schools in 2015...going to take a year off to save up $$, research more schools, and add a few community health-based ECs.

Apply to mostly MD and 5-6 DO as back up... If this is what you want to do, you should not worry too much about your age. I am a RN in my 30s and will be starting med school in July...

Congratulations for your acceptance!