MD vs. DO thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

Tawantinsuyu

When I look at the directory at my local hospital, it seems the majority of doctors working there have an MD. I see very few DO's. Why is this? Could it just be the area I live in? Are there certain places that higher MD/s over DO's? Are there just fewer DO's than MD's in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

There's a lot more MDs than DOs in the US. As of now, I believe only about 7-10% of physicians in America are DOs. However this percentage should increase to 20%-25% within the next 15-20 years.

When I look at the directory at my local hospital, it seems the majority of doctors working there have an MD. I see very few DO's. Why is this? Could it just be the area I live in? Are there certain places that higher MD/s over DO's? Are there just fewer DO's than MD's in the US?

Why are these threads popping up like wildfire?

And yes fewer DOs and area dependent. My area has tons of DOs and they are all over the hospital.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, for starters, there are >20,000 MD grads every year, and ~5-6000 DO grads. There are ~100 MD schools, and ~30 DO schools.

Some regions of the country are more DO-rich (like the mid-west) than others (like the West Coast.).

Reactions: 1 user
Simply put, there is just not as many DOs as MDs in the US.