MD vs DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotionCastle433

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I am a first year pre-med and I was wondering is there a significant difference in being a MD vs DO? I want to be a family practitioner and I understand the different approaches to medicine these two schools have but is there any other real difference besides that? Like pay, status, ability to get a good residency etc? I've always been confused, considering it is easier to get into a DO school vs MD. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

A search of the forums will provide a wealth of discussions about this very topic. Rest assured, it has been discussed ad nauseam. Do a search and you'll have your answer.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The short answer is no, there is no significant difference.

As a DO student you have to take OMM classes on top of regular med school course work. You have to take the COMLEX as well in med school as a DO student. It is harder to get extremely competitive residences such as Derm and Plastics as DO, but you won't be handed these specialties just because you're an MD student. Those two are incredibly hard to get as an MD student to begin with.

Other than that no, post-residency life is the same as an MD and DO, and you will match in to most specialties with nearly equal ease.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! So I am a first year pre-med and I was wondering is there a significant difference in being a MD vs DO? ...!

Differences, yes - most DOs have webbed feet, a vestigial tail and cranial frontal bossing. Significant? They still wear white coats and take care of patients as doctors in the same hospitals, so not so much.

On average DOs tend to end up in the primary care fields. More allo grads get competitive stuff.

Last edited:
Ok, that was what I was hearing, since I want to be a family practitioner (I don't want to specialize) it wouldn't hurt me if I went to a DO school. Just wanted to check all of my options. Thank you everyone for your responses!! :)

Ok, that was what I was hearing, since I want to be a family practitioner (I don't want to specialize) it wouldn't hurt me if I went to a DO school. Just wanted to check all of my options. Thank you everyone for your responses!! :)
Be aware that you will more than likely change your mind on what you would like to specialize in many times during your medical education.

Reactions: 2 users
Differences, yes - most DOs have webbed feed, a vestigial tail and cranial frontal bossing. Significant? They still wear white coats and take care of patients as doctors in the same hospitals, so not so much.

On average DOs tend to end up in the primary care fields. More allo grads get competitive stuff.

The really brainy ones have kleeblattschädel and turribrachycephaly. :)

Reactions: 1 user
That's odd. My students don't have that phenotype. They do have wings and halos.
;)

Differences, yes - most DOs have webbed feed, a vestigial tail and cranial frontal bossing. Significant? They still wear white coats and take care of patients as doctors in the same hospitals, so not so much.

Be aware that you will more than likely change your mind on what you would like to specialize in many times during your medical education.
And tons of DOs specalze. DO does not equal primary care. It is the mission but DOs go way beyond that.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's odd. My students don't have that phenotype. They do have wings and halos.
;)

Send some to me and I'll have pointed tails on them yet.

And tons of DOs specalze. DO does not equal primary care. It is the mission but DOs go way beyond that.

Absolutely, but it would be disingenuous to suggest that if OP wanted ortho, derm, neurosurg or a lot of the surgical specialties etc he wouldn't have a slightly better shot coming from US allo. Or if he wanted rad onc or other fields that weighted research heavily there isn't more opportunity at an allo institution. I agree if he wants primary care, EM etc he's fine, but let's not get carried away and say it's a level playing field in all specialties. Someday after the "merger" it probably will be, but we've still got a long way to go for that, probably over a decade.

The short answer is no, there is no significant difference.

As a DO student you have to take OMM classes on top of regular med school course work. You have to take the COMLEX as well in med school as a DO student. It is harder to get extremely competitive residences such as Derm and Plastics as DO, but you won't be handed these specialties just because you're an MD student. Those two are incredibly hard to get as an MD student to begin with.

Other than that no, post-residency life is the same as an MD and DO, and you will match in to most specialties with nearly equal ease.
The match rates of DOs into competitive specialties are substantially impaired compared to our MD counterparts. If you're interested in derm, plastics, urology, ophthalmology, etc, you're better off going MD by a long shot.

Absolutely, but it would be disingenuous to suggest that if OP wanted ortho, derm, neurosurg or a lot of the surgical specialties etc he wouldn't have a slightly better shot coming from US allo. Or if he wanted rad onc or other fields that weighted research heavily there isn't more opportunity at an allo institution. I agree if he wants primary care, EM etc he's fine, but let's not get carried away and say it's a level playing field in all specialties. Someday after the "merger" it probably will be, but we've still got a long way to go for that, probably over a decade.
I'm betting more like 50 years, if not never.

I agree its not a level playing field. However for ortho tons of AOA spots that isn't a big deal. Gas EM OB General surgery are all not big deals. My school matched multiple people in all those specialties you mentioned expect derm and rad onc (however derm in the DO world is after IM and rad onc is always after IM I believe).

@DopaDO managed to match in a acgmecsurgical subspecialty

It won't be "never". I'm betting over time the DO will end up like the LLB in law -- you'll come across an old timer that has one instead of a JD, but it's only of historical significance.
People often compare it to DMD vs. DDS. No one cares about the letters, they just want their teeth fixed.

The match rates of DOs into competitive specialties are substantially impaired compared to our MD counterparts. If you're interested in derm, plastics, urology, ophthalmology, etc, you're better off going MD by a long shot.
My school matched multiple of all those! (Expect derm)

I agree its not a level playing field. However for ortho tons of AOA spots that isn't a big deal. Gas EM OB General surgery are all not big deals. My school matched multiple people in all those specialties you mentioned expect derm and rad onc (however derm in the DO world is after IM and rad onc is always after IM I believe).

Rad onc is a free standing advanced specialty in allo, as is derm. OB is not a competitive field, so you can lump that in with the primary care group.

My point is your school may have had "multiple people" match into each of the competitive things while a similarly sized allo school might have had a dozen match into each. So there's a difference in odds, even if odds aren't zero.

My school matched multiple of all those! (Expect derm)
Mine matched a few as well, but as an MD, your odds are greatly increased. If you look at the Step scores and match rates of MDs into competitive specialties, the difference is like night and day compared to DOs and independent applicants. An average MD with some research can match ACGME ortho if they apply broadly enough, but a DO basically has to be a rock star.

For those specialties, for sure. But most MDs don't go into these hyper-competitive specialties. For the main specialties (FM, IM, Peds, EM, OB/GYN) it isn't significantly harder. Of course life is easier as a whole as an MD.

Mine matched a few as well, but as an MD, your odds are greatly increased. If you look at the Step scores and match rates of MDs into competitive specialties, the difference is like night and day compared to DOs and independent applicants. An average MD with some research can match ACGME ortho if they apply broadly enough, but a DO basically has to be a rock star.
For an ACGME ortho spot, sure. But I bet a decently competitive DO can get an AOA ortho spot.

For an ACGME ortho spot, sure. But I bet a decently competitive DO can get an AOA ortho spot.
Of which there are far fewer per DO student versus the number of spots per MD student, largely due to the explosion of DO seats in the last 20 years. That makes the DO path more far, far more competitive. Couple this with the fact that all programs are switching over to ACGME by 2020, making MDs eligible for all of the highly competitive DO specialty spots (the ones that don't close anyway- I have a feeling a great number of spots in derm and a couple of other specialties will disappear due to their being completely unable to meet ACGME program requirements) and I see things getting worse for DOs trying to match into competitive specialties for the coming few years.

Yea but a DO can do AOA ortho

Of which there are far fewer per DO student versus the number of spots per MD student, largely due to the explosion of DO seats in the last 20 years. That makes the DO path more far, far more competitive. Couple this with the fact that all programs are switching over to ACGME by 2020, making MDs eligible for all of the highly competitive DO specialty spots (the ones that don't close anyway- I have a feeling a great number of spots in derm and a couple of other specialties will disappear due to their being completely unable to meet ACGME program requirements) and I see things getting worse for DOs trying to match into competitive specialties for the coming few years.
I see. Well, I guess some of that scarcity might be offset by the fact that most DO's pursue primary care, but I might be wrong about that.

Isn't that assuming that some previously AOA residencies will prefer MD applicants over DO applicants?

EDIT: typo

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea but a DO can do AOA ortho
Not as of 2020, and most programs are predicted to convert long before then.
I see. Well, I guess some of that scarcity might be offset by the fact that most DO's pursue primary care, but I might be wrong about that.
More DOs pursue primary care than our MD counterparts, but I think that, given the choice, many would seek more competitive specialties. A lot of the conversations I have with people go along the lines of, "what are you going into?" "oh, you know, FP or IM" "but if you could do anything, what would you go into?" "derm, obviously lol, or ENT or urology if I stood a chance." Yeah, there's a bunch of kids in my school that actually want to be a PCP, but there's probably just as many that have become comfortable with the idea of being a PCP because they have tempered expectations given their prior testing history and the fact that they'll be DOs.

Not as of 2020, and most programs are predicted to convert long before then.

More DOs pursue primary care than our MD counterparts, but I think that, given the choice, many would seek more competitive specialties. A lot of the conversations I have with people go along the lines of, "what are you going into?" "oh, you know, FP or IM" "but if you could do anything, what would you go into?" "derm, obviously lol, or ENT or urology if I stood a chance." Yeah, there's a bunch of kids in my school that actually want to be a PCP, but there's probably just as many that have become comfortable with the idea of being a PCP because they have tempered expectations given their prior testing history and the fact that they'll be DOs.
Have you personally resigned yourself to being a PCP or are you going to pursue a more competitive specialty?

Fact: All DOs are AOA, while only the best of the best of the MDs get into AOA.

Reactions: 4 users
I will admit, I applied to DO's as backups, but now being at an MD medical school, I thank the lucky stars everyday that I didn't have to go to a DO school. I tried so hard to drink the kool aid throughout my application cycle with those schools and had been very skeptical of that stuff, but while I learn the preclinical course work and how to do physical exams at an MD school, I would be borderline suicidal if I was forced to include Osteopathy.

Point of my post, if anyone reading through this thread is deciding if DO is right for them vs MD, make sure you REALLY want to be a DO. Don't just do it for backup like I did without knowing what you REALLY are getting yourself into. I just wish DO schools did a better job screening for the "Why DO" before accepting people who gave generic answers "just to gain the acceptance", because looking back, I was definitely one of those applicants.

This will only confuse the uninformed. Please clarify.

I thought it was funny

But not all know AOA is an honor society and a different AOA is the do governing body

Last edited:
Interesting factoid... it's possible for DOs to be members of both.
The student's school must have a chapter in order for the student to be nominated. All member schools are MD at this point.
Some members are elected as faculty, fellows or residents so I guess a DO faculty member could be nominated by the students at an MD school, but I haven't seen this yet where I work.

The student's school must be a member in order for the student to be nominated.
Some members are elected as faculty, so I guess a DO faculty member could be nominated by the students at an MD school, but I haven't seen this yet where I work.
I've met a few who were nominated during residency, fellowship, or as faculty. Definitely rare but they're out there.

as one of the uninformed... what does being in the AOA honors society do for you?
It is a great honor. 75% of Deans of medical schools are members.
Of the things I most treasure, this is in the top 3.

Question for the more experienced/informed people like @gyngyn , @Law2Doc , and @Goro that's related to the MD vs. DO merger issue. Do you think the AOA programs for competitive specialties like ortho or derm will start accepting MD applicants for the 2017-18 match (current class of 2018) or do you think it won't happen until 2020? I realize it's tough to predict the future, but I'm curious as ortho is one of my top choices right now.

Question for the more experienced/informed people like @gyngyn , @Law2Doc , and @Goro that's related to the MD vs. DO merger issue. Do you think the AOA programs for competitive specialties like ortho or derm will start accepting MD applicants for the 2017-18 match (current class of 2018) or do you think it won't happen until 2020? Just curious as ortho is one of my top choices right now.
If I were in their shoes, I'd put it off as long as possible.

Haven't a clue. I'll have to ask our Clinical deans.

Question for the more experienced/informed people like @gyngyn , @Law2Doc , and @Goro that's related to the MD vs. DO merger issue. Do you think the AOA programs for competitive specialties like ortho or derm will start accepting MD applicants for the 2017-18 match (current class of 2018) or do you think it won't happen until 2020? I realize it's tough to predict the future, but I'm curious as ortho is one of my top choices right now.

Anyone who's gone through interview season or the match are thankful that they are MDs instead of DOs (this does not include the IMG MD). Most are just more PC and less blunt about voicing it. And even they don't go as far to say that "DO and MD are the same" like premeds and new MS.

If you are happy with just matching somewhere, sure, the advantage is smaller. If you actually care about which program you end up (which most people are, that's why we spend so much time on rank lists), that advantage is quite important. People are throwing in IM, EM, Anesthesia, Surgery. There are programs that don't even interview DOs. I know most of my FM prospects in my class are pretty happy that they are MDs, because even for family practice, people have their dream programs.

Some members are elected as faculty, fellows or residents so I guess a DO faculty member could be nominated by the students at an MD school, but I haven't seen this yet where I work.

I've met a few who were nominated during residency, fellowship, or as faculty. Definitely rare but they're out there.

Yep. That's how I did it. I was a senior resident when I got elected.

It's rare because you have to be a DO student, who goes to an ACGME residency, that's connected to a medical school with an AOA chapter, that opts to elect residents, and doesn't limit their pool to alumni residents, and then be that one person they pick in a given year.

Maybe it played a part in getting a fellowship, but otherwise all I've gotten from it is a fancy pin, a certificate for the wall, and a dues bill.

But I could say I'm a member of both AOAs... except I'm not a member of the American Osteopathic Association (too much cost for too little return).