Me again with more doubts!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vasoolraja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working fulltime and so it will be difficult for me to take many credits of prerequisites per semester. Due to my work load in the job and also due to my financial condition, I will be able to take a maximum of 8 credits per semester. Would this negatively affect my chances of getting admission to a Pharm D program. Somewhere I heard that a prepharmacy student should take atleast 14 credits per semester to prove that he/she can handle the course load. My case is different I work fulltime and also I don't have much money to pay the fees for 14 credit prerequisites per sem. In addition I have two Master's degrees-one from India and another from the US. The degrees are in fisheries and aquaculture. Do you think the adcom would consider all this favorably and not consider me as a bad candidate because I took just 8 or less pre requisite credits per semester?

Another question: if I get the pharm tech license can I get a membership in any professional societies in pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

I am working fulltime and so it will be difficult for me to take many credits of prerequisites per semester. Due to my work load in the job and also due to my financial condition, I will be able to take a maximum of 8 credits per semester. Would this negatively affect my chances of getting admission to a Pharm D program. Somewhere I heard that a prepharmacy student should take atleast 14 credits per semester to prove that he/she can handle the course load. My case is different I work fulltime and also I don't have much money to pay the fees for 14 credit prerequisites per sem. In addition I have two Master's degrees-one from India and another from the US. The degrees are in fisheries and aquaculture. Do you think the adcom would consider all this favorably and not consider me as a bad candidate because I took just 8 or less pre requisite credits per semester?

Another question: if I get the pharm tech license can I get a membership in any professional societies in pharmacy?

The 14-credits-per-semester is a general guideline for workload. They just want to see a student be able to do well with a lot on their plate, vs. taking only a few classes a semester. Because you're going to have your hands full each semester in Pharmacy school. If you're working full-time all the time, and take two classes per semester *and do well*, I would think you'd be in a good position. You'll be showing that you can do well against a large workload. I can't imagine that having two Master's degrees would hurt you... however, you should be able to articulate to the admissions committee(s) why it is you're changing your career plans.

The reason why they want pre-pharms to take at least 14 units is because they want to be sure that you can handle the amount of work you'll see in pharmacy school. But if you already have a couple of Master's degrees, then clearly you can handle professional school. I don't think it will be a problem.

Members don't see this ad :)

Most schools want their students to take heavy courseload while completing their prereqs.......but it is enforced on individual bases. In other words if you can explain the admissions comittee you reason for taking fewer classes .....u be just fine. Also you should try to cover some classes during summer and winter semesters.

Fisheries and Aquaculture degrees??? That's cool! What's your current job?

Like the others said, you have a reason for only taking 8 credits and have shown that you can handle more in the past. You should be able to explain that to the admissions committee without any trouble.
Hopefully you won't be working full time during pharmacy school, cause there aren't many people who can handle that.

And just being a certified pharmacy technician doesn't mean anything if you aren't using it to work. Just as how simply being in an organization doesn't mean anything unless you are active or gain something from it.

I am aiming for 2013 admissions. In the meanwhile I can slowly complete my pre requisites and gain some experience in pharmacy. If I am offered an admission I will quit my present job and focus on pharm D course work.

I have already started job shadowing a pharmacist in a local drug store. I also plan to volunteer in a hospital pharmacy on weekends.