Med Coll of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caffeine37

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the easiest way to travel to MCW? I am not from the midwest, and all of the flights seem to cost $$$.

Members don't see this ad.

caffeine37 said:
What is the easiest way to travel to MCW? I am not from the midwest, and all of the flights seem to cost $$$.

i'm kinda confused by your question... are you asking for driving directions? if flights are too expensive, you could always try amtrak, but i usually find that to be just as expensive as flying...so i guess you should drive...depending on where you are, that's probably not much cheaper than flying either though

by air- should I just fly into the MKE airport? its super expensive.

Also, does anyone know how they view out of state applicants? I feel like I don't have a shot, so I would rather not travel all the way there to get rejected...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, you should just fly into MKE. There aren't any easy alternatives (Chicago is close to two hours away). Over half of the class is out of state, so it's no big deal.

caffeine37 said:
by air- should I just fly into the MKE airport? its super expensive.

Also, does anyone know how they view out of state applicants? I feel like I don't have a shot, so I would rather not travel all the way there to get rejected...

i'm out of state and got rejected pre-interview...so i'm guessing if they want to interview you, you have a good shot.

as far as flying, the only alternative i can think of to flying into milwaukee would be to fly into o'hare (chicago) and then take a shuttle up to milwaukee or rent a car (it's about a 90 minute drive if traffic isn't bad).

Oh, yeah, if you get an interview, your acceptance hinges solely on your interview performance (according to Mike Istwan). If you're smart enough to get an interview, you're smart enough to get an acceptance.

what are they looking for in the people they interview?

jbrice1639 said:
i'm out of state and got rejected pre-interview...so i'm guessing if they want to interview you, you have a good shot.

as far as flying, the only alternative i can think of to flying into milwaukee would be to fly into o'hare (chicago) and then take a shuttle up to milwaukee or rent a car (it's about a 90 minute drive if traffic isn't bad).

Just to warn you, the shuttle from O'hare to Mitchell (Milwaukee's airport) is a three hour trip, which is quite ridiculus considering I could drive from my house to O'hare and back home in close to an hour less than that.

If you are looking into nonstop flights, check out Midwest Airlines (midwestairlines.com) since the hub is in Milwaukee. The flights are a bit pricier at normal costs, but there are a few cities that are cheap. Also check for deals there. It's a nice airline and they give you warm, freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. :)

Otherwise, if I can't get a cheap flight on that, then see if you can get a flight that has the layover in O'hare. Usually you can land and then leave again within an hour. It also helps having the stop there in case something happens to your flight to Milwaukee because it's not that bad of a drive.

Hope that helps!

caffeine37 said:
what are they looking for in the people they interview?
Sorry, can't be real specific there. I'm guessing that you should just be a friendly person with a serious interest in MCW and medicine.

If your comming from the east coast try airtran. They have really good deals. I got my round trip ticket to MKE for under $200.

caffeine37 said:

I got a flight on Frontier Airlines. They were the cheapest and plus they have DirecTV on the plane. I don't know if they stop in "the Cafe" though.