med/derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermish irony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's the deal -- is it more competitive than straight derm?

Members don't see this ad.

just as competitive

it's not a back door

a recent coversation I had with a PD basically went along the lines of saying these 5-6 programs are being phased out, 5 years for an inadequate medical doctor/dermatologist is not worth it

most residents cannot handle the dual workload of medical and dermatological boards...

This was just one PD's comments though

Members don't see this ad :)
au contraire, harvard just opened up 2 med/derm programs this year

a recent coversation I had with a PD basically went along the lines of saying these 5-6 programs are being phased out, 5 years for an inadequate medical doctor/dermatologist is not worth it

most residents cannot handle the dual workload of medical and dermatological boards...

This was just one PD's comments though

I highly disagree. I think med/derm has it's own special niche. Check out Dr. Werth at Penn.
Places are opening up spots like the above poster mentioned. Although I think Harvard is saving those 2 spots to internal applicants given the way they opened it up (opening it up in mid-december; not even advertising it on their webpage , etc.)

And I think it's just as competitive as derm. They are trying to weed out people who use it as a back door into derm.