Med/Peds Combined Credentially to be Reviewed at changed for New Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarthNeurology

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read that for new Med-Peds students entering residency this fiscal year July 1, 2008, there will be an extended credentially process to make sure residents are competent in both pediatrics and medicine, . . . for a person to sit for the board certification for specialties the AAP and ACP and AFC will scrutinize medical school records for the number of pediatrics electives and medicine electives, . . . so if you took under a certain number of pediatrics electives you may not be BE/BC in peds, but in internal medicine and vice versa, most states will also require a SubI or Acting Internship in BOTH pediatrics and medicine, yikes!!! Does anybody else think this is unfair?:scared: Why wait to tell people who were accepted now? Supposedly you can grandfather in by doing an extra three month pediatric elective or three month internal medicine elective after residency . . . but you graduate late from residency!

Members don't see this ad.

would you mind telling me the source of where you read that?

This is but a lame joke on the dumbest day of the year - April Fools.

Seriously, do you think any licensing board or specialty board or credentialing board gives a rat's patootey about what sub-I you did in med school? Put your thinking cap on, dude.

I hate April Fools day. Everybody trying way too hard to be funny and falling flat on their face in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just read that for new Med-Peds students entering residency this fiscal year July 1, 2008, there will be an extended credentially process to make sure residents are competent in both pediatrics and medicine, . . . for a person to sit for the board certification for specialties the AAP and ACP and AFC will scrutinize medical school records for the number of pediatrics electives and medicine electives, . . . so if you took under a certain number of pediatrics electives you may not be BE/BC in peds, but in internal medicine and vice versa, most states will also require a SubI or Acting Internship in BOTH pediatrics and medicine, yikes!!! Does anybody else think this is unfair?:scared: Why wait to tell people who were accepted now? Supposedly you can grandfather in by doing an extra three month pediatric elective or three month internal medicine elective after residency . . . but you graduate late from residency!

I did mention that this was put out by the AFC, otherwise known as the April Fool's Committee, he he :D

I hate April Fools day. Everybody trying way too hard to be funny and falling flat on their face in the process.

1. From your post, it sounds like you hate a good portion of every day, not just April Fools Day.

2. Who cares if people are trying to be funny and failing. At least they're trying to create a better atmosphere for others around them.

3. Sucks that you're the arbiter of what is funny and not.

In short, "lighten up Francis", and quit being so severe.