Med/Peds competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DWB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
For a long time I've been wanting to go into peds and recently started looking into med peds combined programs. I am quite new to this and need some guidance.
I understand that med/peds is competitive in the sense that there are very few spots for each program...How hard is it to get into UCLA, MGH, BWH, U of Chicago, etc? What is the Step1 score range that is considered decent for these programs? (I saw that the mean score was 230, but there must be a range)
I scored in the low 240s on Step1 and don't have any clerkship grades yet.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
For a long time I've been wanting to go into peds and recently started looking into med peds combined programs. I am quite new to this and need some guidance.
I understand that med/peds is competitive in the sense that there are very few spots for each program...How hard is it to get into UCLA, MGH, BWH, U of Chicago, etc? What is the Step1 score range that is considered decent for these programs? (I saw that the mean score was 230, but there must be a range)
I scored in the low 240s on Step1 and don't have any clerkship grades yet.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

It is competitive but I don't think more competitive than the very top medicine residencies (UCSF, JHU, BWH, and MGH). I believe there were 3000 applications for about 40 spots at CHOP, which is comparable to 300 applications to 4 med-peds spots at HUP/CHOP.

I would expect 240 to be pretty routine, but I doubt their cutoff is above 230.

Only advice is to try your best at every rotation. Get as many honors in core clerkships (IM, GS, peds, ob/gyn, and psych) as possible, excel at AIs and electives. 240 is a good score. If you're sure you can do much better on step 2 (e.g. 255+), then you may want to consider having that ready for your application.