Med Peds Rank lists 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kattyboomboom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else going a bit crazy about their list? It is a tough call with so many programs and so many variables.

I'm having trouble deciding between a few.

What did people think about midwest programs?

Members don't see this ad.

also, everybody that posts their rank list here, please include a quick blurb for each program why you ranked it the way you did. helps make up sorely for the lack of responses in the "interview impressions" thread

I haven't created my rank list yet but will post it once I have some idea

Specifically...

Rush
Strong program, downtown Chicago, seemed private-patient oriented

Indiana U
Amazing global health component, solid training all around, huge program, big med-peds identity, nice place all-around

Minneapolis
Also amazing, innovative program, great PD, friendly place

UIC
Great medicine side, amazing PD, focus on underserved patients, nice residents, also downtown Chicago

Metrohealth
Nice people, good county hospital

Loyola
Solid program, good patient mix, a bit outside of Chicago, very enthusiastic PD and nice residents

SUCH A HARD DECISION...not to mention programs outside of the midwest.

Members don't see this ad :)
my thoughts on the midwest programs from what I know of them

Indiana University
my favorite program. nice diversity of hospitals, enthusiastic and friendly PD, big med-peds presence, good autonomy, opportunities to do whatever you want (research, overseas work, etc)

Rush
clinic (LMA) seems to be awesome with lots of small procedures, strong peds, weaker medicine, was disappointed in turnout for lectures/morning report, nice hospital and setting, great resident benefits, friendly residents, autonomy seemed less than other programs

UIC
excellent and enthusiastic medicine PD, lots of autonomy and underserved populations (medicaid), somewhat rundown facilities though nice clinics, diverse residents, weaker peds than medicine

Loyola
enthusiastic and down-to-earth PD, strong med-peds presence, lots of autonomy and diversity of patients, great long-standing EMR, location is not as good as other programs, facilities are generally nice, peds is smaller but has wonderful, friendly attendings and residents

University of Chicago
no county or VA type experience but has autonomy at university hospital, very research-focused, residents seemed tired (q4 call), good reputation and attendings like to teach, older facilities with limited EMR, recent loss of primary care attendings a concern, strong peds and medicine components and good didactics

university of michigan
by far the smartest group of residents i've met, strong peds and medicine components, LOTS of opportunities to do whatever you want, everyone seemed happy and low attrition (few leave because they like it so much), residents seemed busy, ann arbor was nice and I liked the college-town feel

MCW
stronger peds than medicine but it's catching up, nice PD, decent degree of autonomy, residents generally happy, milwaukee seemed like a cool city without the traffic

Last edited:
Hmmm...231 views and only 2 posts about ROL impressions. Seems like more people could contribute.

Also, in terms of East/West Coast programs, it would be great to hear other people's impressions...especially about Hopkins and Mount Sinai.

Agree with Motoo about midwest programs!

Hmmmmm...member since 2005 and only 37 posts? Seems like you could have contributed more.:)

BTW, also was impressed by IU (PD, facilities, residents) and having a hard time deciding between it and UK. I do have one gripe with the common belief that the size of IU's program is a detriment. In a class of 12 you will be with the same 6 for the four years. How is this different from going to a program with a class size of 6 that rotates together?

Surprised by how balanced Ohio State was in Medicine and Peds. Vandy residents were some of the friendliest but do not want the burden of advancing the Vandy reputation. Louisville was meh. Cincinnati is weaker in medicine but their children's hospital is top notch and family atmosphere among residents and PDs.

From North to South (kind of):

Maine Medical Center: I liked the awesome location, favorable work environment. Not many med - peds residents but the categoricals seemed like a lot of fun. There isn't much diversity in Maine which is kind of a downside, and the categorical programs aren't very well known.

Brown: Seemed like a very strong program, very impressed with their international health focus. Providence is a good, diverse city. I don't like their 16 month intern year, and I felt that the residents may have been busier than at some other places I interviewed at, but still happy.

University of Rochester: I was very impressed overall, seemed the most humane of all the residency options in med peds that I interviewed yet still with really strong categorical programs. Pretty good international health support. Huge fan of their night float system. Rochester's climate is a definite downside, and I'm not so sure about the city in general.

University of Pennsylvania - The residents here seemed brilliant and the individual hospitals are outstanding, but I didn't like the lack of a med-peds program director, few med-peds faculty, and overall poor mesh between med and peds. I almost felt the categorical programs at HUP and CHOP were too strong to be joined together. They also don't have a nightfloat system which is a deterrent for me.

University of Pittsburgh - I really liked this program and felt it was pretty balanced, possibly a little on the work heavy side. I enjoy Pittsburgh too. I don't like that the med-peds clinic is 20+ minute drive outside of the city.

University of Michigan
- I thought this was an awesome program in all respects, except that it is pretty front-loaded, with 9-10 months of Q4 overnight call as an intern. Although this significantly lightens up with nightfloat as you advance, it seems like it would make for a tough year. Ann Arbor is a great city too.

Metrohealth - I love the program's focus, and the faculty I met were phenomenal, but overall the program was just OK. My biggest problem with it is that I'm not a fan of Cleveland.

Ohio State University - Strong program, i liked the med peds balance overall. Columbus seems to be an alright if not stellar city.

Georgetown (DC) - I felt the pediatrics side was a little lackluster and that DC would be hard to handle on their salary. The PD was awesome and I liked all the residents a lot though.

Univ of North Carolina - Really strong program in good location, residents seemed very good. I don't like driving to several different hospitals. I have a mild concern about their funding situation.

Medical University of South Carolina - Awesome location, great PD, but the program is a little small for me, and I wanted more of a med-peds community. Call heavy intern year drawback for me.

So my top clustering is going to include Brown, Pittsburgh, UNC, Rochester, ?OSU. But I'm not sure on the order.

My home school is the University of Rochester and I based my thoughts of the programs in reference to U of R. I also want to say that most negatives that I mention are really splitting hairs because most Med-Peds programs are amazing and that it has come down to picking on really silly things to separate them for the rank list.

In Alphabetical Order

1. Albany Medical College - Really friendly residents and faculty. Location in the state capitol makes the possibility of going into public policy a little realistic. I found the facilities to be lacking and didn't dig the fact that most of their continuity care patients were more affluent suburbanites.

2. :love:Baylor - Was really wowed by the size and opulence of everything. Their residents were super sharp. Excellent benefits, excellent teaching, you will definitely see a lot. Great opportunities to work with Spanish speaking population (a plus for me). You will probably get one of the best educational experiences here. Other positives: rotate through a county, private, and VA settings. Negatives for me were: Texas Children's Hospital is seperate from the internal medicine hospital, no night float, and I got the impression that their residents were worked a little too hard. (I'm stuck between Baylor, Baystate, and UT Houston as my #1 spot)

3. :love:Baystate - Great facilities and faculty. Residents very sharp and friendly. Reminds me a lot of Rochester, just in a slightly different part of the country. Only gripe is that most people live in a town ~25 minutes away from the hospital.

4. Christiana Care - I was very impressed with the facilities and faculty here. Friendly residents. Children's hospital is about 15minutes away from Christiana though. Near Philly, but most people live near the hospital. Great combination of community and academic.

5. ECU/Pitt County - This program has amazing faculty, great facilities, and a very generous benefits package. Unfortunately, the location is just plain horrible. Its on the bottom of my list because of its location in the middle of nowhere.:sleep:

6. LSU- Strong Peds, weak medicine. I was very impressed with the peds hospital, not so much with the internal medicine hospitals. Great opportunities to work with the underserved. New Orleans is a great town :cool:. Was confused with how the academic portions were set up, I believe that grand rounds and other didactic sessions are held in the educational building thats a few blocks away from the University Hospital.

7. :thumbdown:Metrohealth - I didn't get very good vibes from this program. I feel that I will learn a lot of internal medicine here, but I feel like pediatrics is a bit weak. I didn't get a good feel for the residents, either. All in all, the program just felt a little lacking in almost everything (except faculty). Too much for me to rank it.

8. Stony Brook - Very Small program. Faculty and facilities are great, however I didn't get a very strong Med-Peds identity from them. One of the residents felt that it was more like doing seperate medicine and pediatrics programs than doing a combined program. Separate continuity clinic :mad:.

9. Tulane- If I was categorical medicine, I would go here. Great medicine program director, great pathology. New Med-Peds program director, I couldn't get a good feel for her, but the other applicants who did interview with her said they got good vibes. Shares many of the hospitals with LSU, with the exception of the pediatric hospital. Lots of vacation time (Mardi Gras is protected time :D).

10. University of Mississippi - I was really suprised by this program. Newly renovated facilities. The program director, Dr. Stewart, really works hard for his residents. Combined clinic, switching to EMR soon. Seperate children's hospital that is part of the larger medical center. Negatives: I'm not sure how I will acclimate to Jackson, MS.

11. :love:University of Rochester - I am biased towards UR. The only reason why I am not ranking UR as #1 is because I went here for undergrad and took a year out for a grand total of 9 years here and I want to try living somewhere else. I think this is an excellent example of combining academic and community medicine. Even though Strong Memorial is supposed to be a tertiary care center you see a whole range of problems from a diverse population. The only downside to UR is the weather and its not that bad. I came from Miami, FL and was able to tolerate it for 9 years and I might consider going back, depending on where I am 4 years from now.

12. University of Tennessee - I enjoyed my visit to Memphis. Nice residents, good faculty. Brand new pediatrics hospital! Rotate through a combination of county and private systems. Seperate continuity clinics:mad:. The only real negative I can think of is that I am unsure how well I will be able to adjust to the South.

13.:love: University of Texas, Houston - I feel that this is just about the same as Baylor. One added benefit: In addition to the med-peds program director, both the medicine and pediatrics directors are med-peds trained as well. Negatives: No coverage of the VA.

My list so far:

1. (3 way tie)
Baystate
Baylor
UT Houston
4. University of Rochester
5. Christiana Care
6. Tulane
7. LSU
8. Albany
9. U Miss
10. UTenn
11. ECU
12. Suny Stonybrook

miami/jackson
umichigan
brown
uchicago
med coll wisconsin
case/rainbow
rochester
minnesota
upmc
loyola
sinai
uic

is this long enough? about mid-interview season i caught wind of horrid rumors that the number of US senior medpeds applicants jumped this year and so people would be in for nasty surprises...i'm hoping that 12 is sufficiently conservative.

in terms of making my ROL, i haven't agonized over it too much. but i started worrying when i realized that people were freaking out, both on SDN and in person. it shouldn't be that difficult, right? and ultimately after the first few ranks, the order becomes less and less important as you go down, right? i mean, they're all kind of equivalent in terms of how much i want to go there, and if i end up at the end of my list, it'll be a bummer no matter where it is.

My pd said board scores for our applicants this year are up considerably as well. Good luck

I'm actually curious as to how many programs to rank as well. I was told to rank as man as possible and to even rank programs that I wasn't so sure of because its better to match than to scramble.

I had the same impression about the Baylor facilities and quality of training as Furio.

What I want to know is why Baylor residents are judged as being worked too hard? I did not get that impression. Sure they work hard and you could tell. But so did all the residents I met (well, except maybe at one place). Baylor's call isn't much different than standard either. Where is this coming from?

miami/jackson
umichigan
brown
uchicago
med coll wisconsin
case/rainbow
rochester
minnesota
upmc
loyola
sinai
uic

is this long enough? about mid-interview season i caught wind of horrid rumors that the number of US senior medpeds applicants jumped this year and so people would be in for nasty surprises...i'm hoping that 12 is sufficiently conservative.

in terms of making my ROL, i haven't agonized over it too much. but i started worrying when i realized that people were freaking out, both on SDN and in person. it shouldn't be that difficult, right? and ultimately after the first few ranks, the order becomes less and less important as you go down, right? i mean, they're all kind of equivalent in terms of how much i want to go there, and if i end up at the end of my list, it'll be a bummer no matter where it is.

I wouldn't worry too much about the increased apps and how many to rank. Past NRMP data is pretty consistent in this regard. At the programs I interviewed in south and midwest, they weren't interviewing more applicants than usual which ranged from 10 apps/IV to 20 apps/IV (Vandy).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much about the increased apps and how many to rank. Past NRMP data is pretty consistent in this regard. At the programs I interviewed in south and midwest, they weren't interviewing more applicants than usual which ranged from 10 apps/IV to 20 apps/IV (Vandy).

Agreed.

If you got the interviews, you should be fine.

Here it goes...program I feel torn about.

Hopkins
"Best Medicine in the country," and surely very impressive peds. Brand new program which is more than a bit scary. Felt like some of the details had not been worked out (aka board review). Also, unsure how much institutional buy-in there is for primary care. The medicine director kept calling us "family medicine" on interview day. The main PD is lovely, really enthusiastic. The associate one, not so much. Huge underserved community (with a problematic relationship with Hopkins). Nice facilities. Baltimore...meh.

Last edited:
Hopkins
"Best Medicine in the country," and surely very impressive peds. Brand new program which is more than a bit scary. Felt like some of the details had not been worked out (aka board review). Also, unsure how much institutional buy-in there is for primary care. The medicine director kept calling us "family medicine" on interview day. The main PD is lovely, really enthusiastic. The associate one, not so much. Huge underserved community (with a problematic relationship with Hopkins). Nice facilities. Baltimore...meh.

Here's my take on the buy-in issue. I think they bought in on the outpatient aspect of Med-Peds. But I think the in-hospital aspect as a career goal may meet more resistance. Seeing as their program is really geared towards outpatient primary care, this shouldn't be too much of an issue for someone whose goals align with theirs. Just be sure you really want to do outpatient work because most of the elective time you would otherwise get at a different program, appears to already have been allotted to the urban health portion of the curriculum. The couple electives you are left with are pushed back really late.

One of their medicine docs who was giving the lunch talk said he's normally anti-Med/Peds but supports their program because he thinks they're the only ones who can do it right. I leave you to draw your own conclusions. But I interviewed at a lot of programs and they surely weren't the only ones with an urban underserved population or the opportunity to work with community agencies/assets, etc.

Agreed.

However, Cincinnati did mention they increased their number of interview days because they did have such an increase in the number and quality of applicants. Last year's data, per FREIDA, show they were at 8:1 (interviews:slot) so they may push up a little.

On another interview the PD mentioned they had heard that there were more US applicants than spots this year, which is different from more recent years (there had been fewer US applicants than spots). This was early in the interview season though and the PD had not yet received the ERAS data they apparently receive partway through the season.

General things I discovered over the interview season. Pretty much all the programs had great Med-Peds PDs. Some did not have dedicated staff.

I thought this whole free-standing children's hospital issue was a big deal, but I've decided it isn't. If the board pass rates on the <insert adjective of choice here> ABP exam is high and they have an adequate catchment area with good volume of patients, that would seem good enough for me. Bigger bonus if they use the same EMR throughout.

All the ABIM/ABP board pass rates quoted are per the ABIM & ABP websites and include all first-time takers from that prg (categorical and Med/Peds) averaged over a few years.

University of Cincinnati:Established program (1990). All main hospitals and clinic colocated. Children's is the only peds hospital there by agreement. Residents rotate together. 93% & 90% ABIM/ABP pass rates. Medicine is an EIP site. No ON call on medicine. q4 on peds, with caps supposedly being implemented next year. Only 2 NICU months. Lower salary but also lower cost of living.

University of Michigan:Potential for seeing less bread/butter than if in a more urban environment, esp. on peds side. 4th-year chief. Multiple clinics, off-site. 96% & 97% ABIM/ABP pass rates. Great salary. Parking $500/yr!

University of Pennsylvania: One of the newer programs (started in 2004). PD/APD are categoricals and want out: they're looking for a Med/Peds-trained PD to start July 1. Not sure what their progress on this front is. Maybe that might help get them an identity as a program. HUP and CHOP are next to each other. The clinics are nearby (but separate adult/peds). Great board pass rates (99%, 93%). No chief. Salary paid by either HUP or CHOP (so salary and benefits are different!) but parking is paid. Both HUP & CHOP are magnet hospitals.

University of Pittsburgh: Established prog (1999). Residents rotate together, which is important here because their multiple hospitals and clinic are pretty much all separated. Med board pass rate great but peds slightly lower (93% & 87%). Only 3 weeks vacation after intern year. Salary kind of low but medical is fully covered which should easily make this up, especially if you have dependents. They also have a 50% match up to 2% on retirement contributions, with vesting in only 3 years.

University of Rochester:One of the oldest programs (started in 1970!). Very little ON call, but admit every day. Also have to stay until signout (can't leave when work is done) so this will add hours. And no golden weekends on medicine (can't remember on Peds). Great board pass rates (93% & 91%). Off-site clinic. Research track. 5th-year chief. Pretty good salary for the area but need to pay $200/yr for parking. Vacations are in 2 x 2-week blocks + holiday break if on Peds. Both Strong and RGH are magnet hospitals. The location is nice, with plenty of water, 4 seasons, and a great mix of rural/suburban/urban in a short distance that all comes to your hospitals.

Yale University:Clinic a ways off-site (~30-minute drive on a good day). ABIM 94% but ABP only 84%. 4th year chief. High salary but also relatively high cost of living. Parking $50/month. Medical is fully paid for (dependents included). 403b with 3% match up to first 5% of contribution but full vesting takes 5 years.

Last edited:
Hey everybody, I am a 3rd year who is dead set on Med-peds for Primary care. I couldnt find an appropriate thread for this question and it seems like all of you have gone through the process so....

How do you know your scores/grades are good enough to even consider a program worth applying to?

(May seem like a pessimistic question but it's not, just trying to find my place without wasting too much time). I'm a U.S. grad, mid 220's board score, middle of the class ranking I think.) How do I find out about programs and their standards and where I fit in?

Thanks
Slightly nervous, confused MS III :oops:

Hey everybody, I am a 3rd year who is dead set on Med-peds for Primary care. I couldnt find an appropriate thread for this question and it seems like all of you have gone through the process so....

How do you know your scores/grades are good enough to even consider a program worth applying to?

(May seem like a pessimistic question but it's not, just trying to find my place without wasting too much time). I'm a U.S. grad, mid 220's board score, middle of the class ranking I think.) How do I find out about programs and their standards and where I fit in?

Thanks
Slightly nervous, confused MS III :oops:

If your school has a Med-Peds program, a great place to start would be the PD of your home program. You can get historical info about applicants from your institution as well as insight into other programs if your PD is active in the PD association.

Another source would be the NRMP Charting Outcomes for the Match document that comes out for each match.

I can't decide between Penn and Hopkins as #1 - insight appreciated!

Penn - awesome facilities and parent programs, happy residents, guaranteed weekend time off, time for research and international electives; concerned about new PD starting July and lack of connection b/w IM and Peds departments after 5 years... Also concerned about size of Philadelphia

Hopkins - awesome parent programs w/ happy residents, weekend time off with urban health months but not necessarily other rotations, decreased elective and research time b/c of urban health months, no international electives; love, love, love the autonomy and intensity of intern year and don't mind living in Baltimore; concerned that medicine PD views program as a family medicine program and that med-peds PD wants to turn out outpatient docs - is this bad training for someone who is thinking about being a hospitalist???

Penn - awesome facilities and parent programs, happy residents, guaranteed weekend time off, time for research and international electives; concerned about new PD starting July and lack of connection b/w IM and Peds departments after 5 years... Also concerned about size of Philadelphia

Hopkins - awesome parent programs w/ happy residents, weekend time off with urban health months but not necessarily other rotations, decreased elective and research time b/c of urban health months, no international electives; love, love, love the autonomy and intensity of intern year and don't mind living in Baltimore; concerned that medicine PD views program as a family medicine program and that med-peds PD wants to turn out outpatient docs - is this bad training for someone who is thinking about being a hospitalist???

I think Penn would kind of be a no brainer here. Upenn medicine+CHOP peds categoricals equal the Hopkins counterparts, with the advantage that you won't have to be part of a completely fledgling program that will probably change directions several times during your time there. If the categorical departments at Hopkins see you as family med, it is unlikely that you will get many in house fellowship matches there..jmho.

I had the same impression about the Baylor facilities and quality of training as Furio.

What I want to know is why Baylor residents are judged as being worked too hard? I did not get that impression. Sure they work hard and you could tell. But so did all the residents I met (well, except maybe at one place). Baylor's call isn't much different than standard either. Where is this coming from?

I'm coming from Rochester and well, I guess I'm used to UR's system of doing things. However, it basically came down to three events.

During the preinterview dinner, one of the interns couldn't really name anything he does in his free time because he says he spends so much time in the hospital. When I asked one of the chiefs what could make the program better, she said that they could use more people because of the work load. For the amount of med-peds residents and categoricals that they had, very few came out for lunch.

Of course, I can be completely wrong.

Hopkins seemed like it was pretty forthright in its emphasis on putting out primary care providers. Intern year seemed like a hazing. Very front-loaded. Long hours and call started at noon so you could go until 6pm the next day. Yikes.

Any opinions on USC???
Great people, great PD, med-peds identity is awesome, strong program. LA is unappealing. County hospital seems amazing and very hard work.

I don't see why the fact that Hopkins wants to turn out outpatient docs is a concern. That's the goal of their program and they appear to have set up a curriculum that will do that. If it does not align with your goal, then hopefully you have interviewed at other programs that do meet your goals.

That being said, I don't think any Med-Peds curriculum would preclude you from doing Med-Peds hospitalist work. After all, >=50% of your residency time is spent inpatient. But you may want a program that would allow you more inpatient subspecialty electives if you know you want to do exclusively hospitalist work to better prepare you for locations where subspecialists may not be as readily available as in a teaching hospital.

didn't match!

scrambling tomorrow.

it seems that applications were up significantly this year. only 4 positions in med&peds to scramble for!

i suppose peds or im will have to do.

a recent thread by another post-med&peds scrambler was met with a disappointing absence of compassion, which, in theory, is a special gift shared by physicians.

didn't match!

scrambling tomorrow.

it seems that applications were up significantly this year. only 4 positions in med&peds to scramble for!

a recent thread by another post-med&peds scrambler was met with a disappointing absence of compassion, which, in theory, is a special gift shared by physicians.

Sorry to hear that... don't let the ?minority of physicians bring you down... good luck this week.

miami/jackson
umichigan
brown
uchicago
med coll wisconsin
case/rainbow
rochester
minnesota
upmc
loyola
sinai
uic

didn't match!

scrambling tomorrow.

that's crazy dude.....some of those programs are definitely more "safety" programs and you still didn't match? really sorry to hear that but glad to see you were successful in the scramble. just from above it does seem like the whole process was much more competitive this year

thought it might be helpful to report back. i spoke to the PD whose program i ranked at the top of my list. based on my application and my interviews in general, i was an excellent candidate according to them--nothing systematic that was worrisome...except that i asked about solutions that would permit me to work on-site with an ngo in a latin american country, i.e. "time off." a red flag for PDs because of stringent RRCs post-new ACGME regulations on combined M-P programs--the prospect of administrative shuffling in a bad economy lowered me on their list.

that's crazy dude.....some of those programs are definitely more "safety" programs and you still didn't match? really sorry to hear that but glad to see you were successful in the scramble. just from above it does seem like the whole process was much more competitive this year

It happened to me too. I was able to scramble into one of the last Med-Peds programs. It never occurred to me that I would not match. I thought would match somewhere in the middle of the list, at worst I would be at one of the "safety" schools.

First I am sorry you did not match. This year was the most competitive year for med-peds in 10 years.

"Safety Programs"? It really does not exist and this year's match result supports that. Programs that may be on the bottom of your list and you consider a safety program are on the top of other peoples list. Similarly when programs make rank lists they rank candidates entirely differently from each other. We had applicants near the top of our list that did not match anywhere and yet our last ranked candidate matched into a good program. There are no safety programs. Only programs you like and programs you don't like.

Wow, not one mention of Ohio-State/Nationwide Childrens? Is it a crap program?

Hi all,
My fiance and I are trying to match together--I'm doing med-peds and he's doing ophtho. Ophtho is early match so he has to submit his rank list in a couple weeks or less so we're going crazy! Just curious as to what you all think of the following programs and how you would rank them:
UMiss
UTHouston
Tennessee
UAB
UKentucky
ULouisville

Any comments or rank orders would be greatly appreciated!!