med-peds without med sub-I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blanche

#$%&*!@!!#?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well, i've pretty much been set on peds for a while...completed my subI last month, set up an away for next month at a great program, etc etc...thing is, i've been reconsidering med-peds now that i've gotten more exposure to the subspecialties. it seems that training in med peds would be quite a benefit if i went that route. plus, i think i might want to still treat adults!! (and no i'm not interested in fm..)

what are your thoughts on applying med peds without a medicine subI completed? i'm already getting a letter from an internal med doc...and I could probably get a couple of short medicine rotations in nov and dec, I just don't want to schedule a subi during interview season. i can't drop my october away rotation at this point, so I'm pretty much stuck until after interviews. do you guys think this this a problem?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I think you will do fine with just peds sub-i. I'm glad to hear of your interest in med-peds. PM me if you have more questions.

I only did a medicine SubI and no peds and never thought twice about it. It shouldn't make any difference. I didn't even do a single pediatric rotation my entire 4th year because I decided to do med/peds instead of medicine after I created my schedule.

oh great, that makes me feel better. my med-peds bound classmates are racking up the sub-Is, and it was making me start to worry....but i'm glad to hear that it might not be such a big deal.

thanks!