Med/Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacetygrss

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

Has anyone here applied to Med/Psych residencies? If so, where did you apply and why? Also, since (according to Freida) there are only 17 programs nationally, did you apply to other specialties "just in case?" From what I see on Freida there are only about 7 programs that I would even think of applying to (no need to apply to S. Carolina, Tennessee, etc because I wouldn't even consider living there-no offense to those who enjoy those places). Should I be applying to straight internal medicine or psych programs for cushion?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

spacetygrss said:
Hi.

Has anyone here applied to Med/Psych residencies? If so, where did you apply and why? Also, since (according to Freida) there are only 17 programs nationally, did you apply to other specialties "just in case?" From what I see on Freida there are only about 7 programs that I would even think of applying to (no need to apply to S. Carolina, Tennessee, etc because I wouldn't even consider living there-no offense to those who enjoy those places). Should I be applying to straight internal medicine or psych programs for cushion?

Thanks in advance for your input.

It is almost given that you will apply to a second specialty. But straight psych and straight medicine are so different. You should be able to choose one of them.

I would give MUSC a strong consideration. It is a very good, collegial program.

Thanks for the response.

My problem is that I LOVE anesthesiology and I LOVE med/psych (we actually have an elective here). However, just plain medicine and just plain psych are just okay to me. I think that I'm just going to go ahead and apply to Anesthesia b/c I wouldn't even consider doing straight Psych or straight medicine.

Thanks again for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
JKDMed said:
what is the difference between med/psych and each separately?

You get boarded in both.

spacetygrss said:
Thanks for the response.

My problem is that I LOVE anesthesiology and I LOVE med/psych (we actually have an elective here). However, just plain medicine and just plain psych are just okay to me. I think that I'm just going to go ahead and apply to Anesthesia b/c I wouldn't even consider doing straight Psych or straight medicine.

Thanks again for the reply.

If you do so, then med-psych will probably be your backup. last year, the unfilled rate for med-psych was very high.

I did talk to one of the med-psych residency directors last year. And the person did mention that in the past years, they did lose a few med-psych applicants to emergency medicine or anesthesiology at the last minute (i.e. they are pretty sure the applicant will match med-psych at their program but afterwards, find out that these applicants match in a totally different specialty).

So what in anesthesiology appeals to you? What in med-psych appeals to you? I would imagine that you could go through medicine and do critical care fellowship, and perform many things that anesthesiologists perform.

What exactly would you practice as after finishing a Med psych residency?
As a psych, internist? or are there any fellowships that would use both?
just curious...

So I guess No one knows? Or is it that no one cares? How bout some answers people!

What exactly would you practice as after finishing a Med psych residency?
As a psych, internist? or are there any fellowships that would use both?
just curious...

Most practice psychiatry. Over the last several years, many have grandfathered into the psychosomatic boards. Sleep medicine is a popular fellowship among med/psych graduates.

Most practice psychiatry. Over the last several years, many have grandfathered into the psychosomatic boards. Sleep medicine is a popular fellowship among med/psych graduates.
How'd you end up digging this one up?