Med School Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zshasan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I screwed up and did really bad in some of my classes. I made the mistake of doing a business major and pre-med and the dual degrees just screwed me over. I have 4 D's, 2 F's and 3 W's on my transcript. Im just a sophomore right now. Should I give up my path to applying to med school? Should I consider medical school in the caribbean? Any insight will help greatly! Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

So I screwed up and did really bad in some of my classes. I made the mistake of doing a business major and pre-med and the dual degrees just screwed me over. I have 4 D's, 2 F's and 3 W's on my transcript. Im just a sophomore right now. Should I give up my path to applying to med school? Should I consider medical school in the caribbean? Any insight will help greatly! Thank You

Basically no shot at MD, without a billion other contingencies aligning perfectly.

D.O. is possible if you do grade replacement and do okay on the MCAT, assuming decent extracurriculars.

Probably anyone with a pulse can do Caribbean, but not failing out and matching to the US would be an uphill battle.

Overall, it probably depends on why you did so poorly in your classes. If it was truly a fluke and you had some emotional issues or weird circumstances, retaking and acing your classes could set you back on track for DO. Anything less than that and your chances for medical school are slim.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The main thing you need to do is realize why you're doing poorly in your classes. Did you do poorly in just your business classes? You say double majoring "screwed you over," but med school will be harder than an undergrad double major in business & premed.

yeah, maybe you could start by identifying why youre not doing as well as you hope to

I had some financial issues so I had to work and support myself with school and double degrees. Thats what screwed me over the most

I had some financial issues so I had to work and support myself with school and double degrees. Thats what screwed me over the most

I'm glad that you can look back retrospectively and see what went wrong. I'm sorry you had to work on top of having two majors and extracurriculars; that can definitely be rough.

From this point forward retake those classes and put your all into every class between now and graduation. Aim for a 3.9/4.0 for the rest of your college career and show medical schools that you can handle tough classes. With a lot of time and effort I see no reason why you couldn't pursue medicine via D.O.

Depends on what classes the Ds and Fs were in too. If they were non-science (business classes) I could see a way you could salvage your GPA and MD would be possible.

Just go hit the books and try your best. DO and MD are both good routes