Med school advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ParkerDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to begin medical school in just a few short weeks, and I am looking for advice from current medical students......it can really be about anything. I would just like to hear tips about how students have survived school and what they would recommend doing.

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy your free time now because you are about to start on a 7+ year journey that will leave you with VERY little free time. Don't get me wrong, you'll still have time to do some stuff its not all work and no play. However you will never have free time again like you currently enjoy. Seriously party like a rock star now while you still can.

Reactions: 1 users
The first semester at our school was the hardest. I'm not even sure how to give advice other than to say prepare for the most difficult thing you've ever done. Unrelated to the academics, be nice to your colleagues. I could not have made it through the first year without the many encouraging, thoughtful friends I made. The students who came in gunning for the top at anyone's expense tend to be disliked and isolated.

Every metaphor you've heard about medical school is true. It is like drinking from a fire hydrant. Content is not more difficult than an undergrad upper level science course; but, you will cover a semester worth of that class in 2-3 weeks. So much of my success in medical school has come from developing new study habits. I used to print out lecture notes and copy ever word the professor said. This is not a reasonable approach. Now, all I take into lecture with me is paper and a pen. I make an outline of the lecture and write down anything that I've never heard before. Go through the given out notes a couple times. Then try to recondense the notes in your own words. The weekend before an exam, you should be studying your condensed notes.

Anyways, medical school is a privilege. And don't ever forget how lucky you are to be selected to attend. It will be difficult, but no one has ever said that it's easy. Best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Its a long road and can be frustrating sometimes but its also a lot of fun. Don't get bogged down by the minutiae, don't get frustrated if your grades or class rank or board scores aren't exactly where you want them to be. Try to have a good time and enjoy the process.

build exercise/recreational sports into your schedule.

The four years go by faster than you'd think. Enjoy it to the fullest. You'll make lifelong friendships and see amazing things. In the words of Ferris Bueller, "if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Get to know your classmates well...it's incredible to be surrounded by so many smart, interesting people. Make the most of your breaks / holidays. Plan a bucket list vacation for the end of fourth year. And never, ever displease the ghost of AT Still.

Specifically, don't piss off the OMM people. Simply say "Teach me more, master!" until you pass, and move on.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a question regarding the schedule of med school in terms of planning ahead of time. When do most med students start studying for their Step 1 Comlex and SMLE ? Is it the summer after 1st year ?

I had a question regarding the schedule of med school in terms of planning ahead of time. When do most med students start studying for their Step 1 Comlex and SMLE ? Is it the summer after 1st year ?
Truly the greatest thing you can do to prepare for boards is doing well in the first 2 years. I'd say most begin really studying and reviewing the last semester before boards.

Reactions: 1 user