Med School Advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmn5044

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone one I was hoping someone can give me insight what is my chance of getting into med school.

I have been thinking of applying to medical school, due to my unusual background I'm not sure what is my chance of getting into medical school.

Undergraduate: Aerospace Engineering at Penn State, GPA: 3.2. Published award-winning helicopter design and present at an international aerospace conference.

Graduate school: MS. Mechanical Engineering at Penn State, estimated to finish in May 2016, GPA 3.6,

Work experiences: design, analysis, and certify aircraft for Boeing and Sikorsky.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone one I was hoping someone can give me insight what is my chance of getting into med school.

I have been thinking of applying to medical school, due to my unusual background I'm not sure what is my chance of getting into medical school.

Undergraduate: Aerospace Engineering at Penn State, GPA: 3.2. Published award-winning helicopter design and present at an international aerospace conference.

Graduate school: MS. Mechanical Engineering at Penn State, estimated to finish in May 2016, GPA 3.6,

Work experiences: design, analysis, and certify aircraft for Boeing and Sikorsky.
Medical school is possible. If you want to go MD you may benefit from a postbac to ensure you have all the prereq's orgo, biochem, bio1, 2. I am assuming you have enough chemistry to cover the gneral chem. A few semesters of 4.0 should also help. I am also assuming you will do well on the MCAT because your undergrad degree's rigor may have prepped you well. You will need to enhance your app with volunteering, shadowing a physican, patient contact volunteering/jobs. Then apply for school.

For DO school as long as you score well on the mcat you should be able to gain an acceptance somewhere provided you aren picky about location. You will still need to demonstrate that you know what you are getting into by shadowing and clinical exposure. probably a 1-2 year process either way. Be sure you want to do this. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of right now, your GPA is lethal for MD schools, and barely OK for DO schools. MD schools will not average in your MS degree, while DO schools will. That said you still need the pre-med prereqs to do well on MCAT.

Get this book. Shill alert, Dr Hartwig is an old pal of mine in the profession.

Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition
by Walter Hartwig

Last edited:
Why the heck would you want to go from aerospace to medicine is my question? Haha, I wish I was smart enough for engineering. Currently obsessed with what Elon musk is doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As of right now, your GPA is lethal for MD schools, and barely OK for DO schools. MD schools will not average in your MS degree, while DO schools will. That said you still need the pre-med prereqs to do well on MCAT.

Get this book. Shill alert, Dr Hartwig is an old pal of mine in the profession.

Amazon product

Which book?