Med School asking for essays???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premed:)

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm applying to med school Bac/MD program (Not Direct entry) and there are 4 essays they are asking me to write. The first one is this : How has your view of social justice in medicine been influenced by a specific experience or activity?

How the ffffffllllllllyinggggg fuc*K do I answer this one in 2000 CHARACTERS or less??? Any thoughts? And please, I don't need criticism.
Thank s

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Be clear.
2. Be succinct.
3. Stop cursing at those whom you are asking for help. It's not nice.

Reactions: 2 users
Nice way of asking for help.

The point of these is to provide a talking point for a potential interview. Give a succinct synopsis of said event, and if you are fortunate enough to get an II and they bring it up, you just tell the story you wanted to write.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Be clear.
2. Be succinct.
3. Stop cursing at those whom you are asking for help. It's not nice.

not cursing at those giving their help and advice, just those that respond with unnecessary remarks.

2000 characters is pretty generous. Remember, the personal statement is only 5300 and presumably covers a heck of a lot more.

what is your view of social justice in medicine?
did you come to that view based on an experience or activity?

putting it a different way, have you taken part in an activity or had an experinence that has informed your view of social justice in medicine? Describe your experience and your viewpoint.

We can't tell you what your viewpoint is or what experiences you've had. What do you want from us?

what is your view of social justice in medicine?
did you come to that view based on an experience or activity?

putting it a different way, have you taken part in an activity or had an experinence that has informed your view of social justice in medicine? Describe your experience and your viewpoint.

We can't tell you what your viewpoint is or what experiences you've had. What do you want from us?
ok... how do i delete the thread ?

So I'm applying to med school Bac/MD program (Not Direct entry) and there are 4 essays they are asking me to write. The first one is this : How has your view of social justice in medicine been influenced by a specific experience or activity?

How the ffffffllllllllyinggggg fuc*K do I answer this one in 2000 CHARACTERS or less??? Any thoughts? And please, I don't need criticism.
Thank s

I would reflect on your clinical, volunteering and shadowing experiences. Have you ever worked in undeserved communities and noticed shocking health disparities? Volunteered for a different cultural group and noted particularly low health literacy? Have you shadowed a doctor that practices in a minority community, observing limitations in the health care system there? There are thousands of ways to approach this question. For instance, an eye-opening experience for me would be working with a refugee community. I would say something along the lines of how seeing significantly higher rates of depression and communicable diseases in these communities left a poignant impression on the social justice aspect of medicine for me.

How the ffffffllllllllyinggggg fuc*K do I answer this one in 2000 CHARACTERS or less???
Any thoughts? And please, I don't need criticism.
Thank s

You're certainly quite mature

Members don't see this ad :)
I would reflect on your clinical, volunteering and shadowing experiences. Have you ever worked in undeserved communities and noticed shocking health disparities? Volunteered for a different cultural group and noted particularly low health literacy? Have you shadowed a doctor that practices in a minority community, observing limitations in health care system there? There are thousands of ways to approach this question. For instance, an eye-opening experience for me would be working with a refugee community. I would say something along the lines of how seeing significantly higher rates of depression and communicable diseases in communities left a poignant impression on the social justice aspect of medicine for me.
thanks for explaining

would this count as social injustice? Working as a CNA, sometimes I'm left with being the only one on the floor and having to attend to 12-15 patients all alone. Doing so I sometimes cant get to everyone and attend to their needs as patients such as bathing Mrs. Jones if I'm already bathing Mr. Bubba and cleaning up Mrs. Rollomae who just shat herself.

Why do you think that counts as social injustice?

well its an injustice for the patients if their not able to communicate their needs with me if Im the only one on the floor. So its a staffing issue not social injustice?

would this count as social injustice? Working as a CNA, sometimes I'm left with being the only one on the floor and having to attend to 12-15 patients all alone. Doing so I sometimes cant get to everyone and attend to their needs as patients such as bathing Mrs. Jones if I'm already bathing Mr. Bubba and cleaning up Mrs. Rollomae who just shat herself.

Bet you'd make a great advertisement for birth control

whyd you have to come and troll the thread?

Check your privilege. You denying that I'm a shark-human hybrid is a form of patriarchial oppression. In fact, I'm reporting you to the mods because you just triggered me.

Brb looking for a safe space.

Reactions: 1 users
okay guys, time to stop

@ElCapone, there's absolutely no way you can be bored enough or have nothing else to do but troll this thread. Is this really a good use of your time?

@Premed:) you probably should do some more research regarding what social justice actually is. What you've described likely falls under a different category of "justice" than the one being asked for in the essay description.

Reactions: 1 users
okay guys, time to stop

@ElCapone, there's absolutely no way you can be bored enough or have nothing else to do but troll this thread. Is this really a good use of your time?

@Premed:) you probably should do some more research regarding what social justice actually is. What you've described likely falls under a different category of "justice" than the one being asked for in the essay description.

Come on Wedge! Did you really think that he was a legit user?

And sadly yea. I'm multitasking between this, and writing up lab reports for class :\ It effectively kills the monotony of writing about random stuff.

Come on Wedge! Did you really think that he was a legit user?

And sadly yea. I'm multitasking between this, and writing up lab reports for class :\ It effectively kills the monotony of writing about random stuff.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt, particularly because everything here is recorded more or less forever, and people who come searching through later may find serious responses useful in answering similar questions they may have, so to me, whether or not a user is legit is irrelevant, provided they aren't actually being disruptive.

I tend to give the benefit of the doubt, particularly because everything here is recorded more or less forever, and people who come searching through later may find serious responses useful in answering similar questions they may have, so to me, whether or not a user is legit is irrelevant, provided they aren't actually being disruptive.

On the other hand, I don't see the point of giving in to a troll who gets kicks by screwing with legit users like you. In fact, it's demotivating to see serious responses to their posts. Why? Because for a good portion of us, it's disheartening to see someone sacrifice a good portion of their time - especially a busy MS1 such as yourself - to compose a good answer to what essentially is a crap troll post. So while your strategy may yield benefits in the long term, it costs more up front by drawing in more trolls and damaging our community.

On the other hand, I don't see the point of giving in to a troll who gets kicks by screwing with legit users like you. In fact, it's demotivating to see serious responses to their posts. Why? Because for a good portion of us, it's disheartening to see someone sacrifice a good portion of their time - especially a busy MS1 such as yourself - to compose a good answer to what essentially is a crap troll post. So while your strategy may yield benefits in the long term, it costs more up front by drawing in more trolls and damaging our community.

I guess that's where we disagree then :p (and I'm also using SDN as a distraction from working lol).

At the same time, I think trolls are more likely to be validated if they garner an incendiary response (which is what they're generally looking for). If someone answers their question with a legitimate answer, what are they getting out of this? "Haha what an idiot! He typed out a helpful and informative response!" For some reason, I can't see someone getting kicks out of that ... but maybe some people do, I don't know.

The ace up my sleeve is that I reported him in addition to entertaining his question seriously ;)

I like to hedge my bets.

It's not about the troll...if they are a troll I could give a rat's ass what they get out of it, kicks or no kicks. However, as WedgeDawg said, these threads can be useful for others reading through - or even OP if your trolldar is off and they're just a person who has no idea how to ask nicely and collaboratively for what they need.
I've never found my forum experience diminished by people treating trolls as serious and giving meaningful responses. Heck, sometimes I have even learned a lot from those responses even though the OP themselves was clearly not in it to learn or was incredibly hyperbolic. I have had my experience made worse by troll-hunters/crusaders. :shrug:

Troll or not, that CNA story was pretty damn funny. I definitely know young college kids who would mistake that for social injustice.

No

1. ... social justice is based on the concepts of human rights and equality, and can be defined as "the way in which human rights are manifested in the everyday lives of people at every level of society".
    Social justice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_justice
    Wikipedia

That sound you hear off in the distance is the banhammer getting cocked and loaded.

Thank s

Young kiddy, who hasn't taken coursework or ethics that include these kinds of questions, or who doesn't have the intellectual curiosity to research and consider his/her own thoughts on the subject.

Not trying be Internet mean here, but...strong work.:rolleyes:

I think, especially given the past 8-10 years in particular, this should not be a difficult topic to research, consider, and discuss.

Last edited:

Thank s
You can definitely talk about immunizations. That's an easy one and should get you to 2000 characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.