Med School Candidate Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geneman

The Transgenic Hobo
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I've been reading some differing opinions on whether to apply to a lot of schools (20+) or average (10-15), regardless of how well one's application may seem, and would like some advice on what I can hope to expect (considering most people feel getting in is a crapshoot, myself included).

I was planning on applying to most of the top ten schools, about five top 30 schools, and two state schools; pending everyone's advice. Here is an objective description of my application:

3.94 GPA from good public state university
37-Q MCAT (11v,13b,13p)
Strong leadership (i.e., president and other)
Strong research (3 years, maybe publication in the works)
Strong teaching background (worked at instructional camp)
Average clinical exposure (i.e., volunteering and shadowing)
Strong letters of recommendation (person writing commmittee letter considers me one of his favorite students)
Overall strong application but nothing really unique.

Should I go with what I have or should I increase the number of "middle-lower tiered" schools to compensate for applying to most of the top tens?

Also, separate question: As part of the "financial aid package", do med schools award grants and scholarships based on how much they want you or based on financial need?

Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to 20+ to see which school is going ot give more money in financial aid.

Hi geneman, this is a tough question, because med school admissions seems like a crapshoot! You have SOLID, TOP-TEN SCHOOL STATS...having said that, there are NO GUARANTEES. IMHO, I think it sounds like you're on the right track as far as the number of schools to apply to. There have been numerous threads arguing both ways (i.e. applying to too many schools is a waste of $$$, applying to lower-tier schools is a waste because they don't think you're serious about going there, etc.), but even with your outstanding numbers, BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.

I think that it's been said here a lot, and I'll say it again: apply to a fair number of schools AND a fair range of schools. Your mix sounds pretty good to me.

Finally, financial aid is largely determined by need. Scholarships and grants (free money) a lot of times is related to the academic success of the applicant...if a school really wants you, they'll offer you a free ride. With your stats, I'd expect several such offers! :D

Good luck to you and congratulations on your solid academic performance.

P.S. Just make sure to be "unique" at your interviews :wink:

Members don't see this ad :)
With those kind of stats you should just apply to ivy league schools. That way, if you don't get accepted to any, you won't be taking slots from any of us. :)

seriously though, your plan sounds good.

My initial thought is that you'll probably be fine, assuming you can interview well/seem likable to the adcom.

However, if you're from CA, you need to up your number of schools.

Financial aid varies by school...most I've encountered give by need, not by how much they want you...but people at SDN can give you info on what kind of packages most people get at the different schools.

I would apply to about 20 total because this will hopefully bring in some schools that may give you grans/scholarships to have you matriculate at their school. Make sure that Wash U is on your list they love high gpa's and is one of the schools (I think) that offer the most grants for incoming students. Good luck and great stats!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by geneman:
•Hi. I've been reading some differing opinions on whether to apply to a lot of schools (20+) or average (10-15)

I was planning on applying to most of the top ten schools, about five top 30 schools, and two state schools •••••10 + 5 + 2 = 17, halfway in between your definitions of "a lot" and "average", so I think your plan is a great compromise :)

You have good stats, I would maybe try to narrow down where you want to go - if you get interviews at all those schools, imagine the expense! Even just all of those secondaries, WOW! I would think that those stats would get you into your state school, I honestly don't think it's necessary to apply to "most" of the top 10, pick 3-4 that you would really like to attend and go after those whole-heartedly...the top 10 schools really have a wide range of curriculum, class sizes, etc...so try to narrow it down, IMHO.

You guys (and girls) rock! Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts. I know all these secondaries/interviews is going to take a lot of time and money, but it's a once in a lifetime type deal. Thanks again.