MD Med School Chances and Where to Apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

As I am gearing up on applying this June ( first week of June), I would really like to know if the schools I am applying to are realistic and good? In addition, I would really appreciate what else I should do to ensure that I present the best application possible given my academic record ( see below)

Background:

Stats3.41 cgpa; 3.42 science gpa: very strong upward trend in grades with 4.0s in the last 1 year and a 3.89 postbac cgpa and sgpa after a 3.1 college gpa....I took a total of 8.5 years to finish everything due to various circumstances in my life ( explained below)

MCAT: 40 ( 14 BS 14 PS 12 V)

Other grades: 2-3 P/F grades in college; 4 withdrawals in college in various semesters (2 in prereqs: all due to severe extenuating circumstances ranging from severe health issues to parent's illness and financial issues--I took upper division courses and received A's) and a semester withdrawal in postbac ( 5 classes of W's in one semester due to a medical issue that had to be resolved: I was advised to take the semester off to get my condition under control) giving me 9 withdrawals total.

My advisor will be mentioning in her LOR about the earlier W's as they were in my undergrad school.

ECs: 1.5 years of clinical research
5 years/1000+ hours in an HIV clinic with a highly respected physician in Boston
6 months mentoring/volunteering with underserved children in a gang-infested neighborhood
1 year as a data entry/research assistant for a physician who works at a top med school.
Executive Board member and helped found a tutoring program for underserved people who were victims of domestic abuse.
5 years work experience: I had to take care of my parent's financial expenditures as both were unemployed and suffering from severe health issues. I took control of their finances and helped them during this time ( foreclosures, eviction from house, finding shelter/new apartment, etc).

LORS: Super Super strong: the physicians that I worked for have stated that I am one of the best interns that they have ever had and that I have their strongest recommendation. I also have 2 science and 1 nonscience: all of which are strong as well.

I will be starting a masters in Clinical Bioethics at a Top Tier school in june and will also be doing an americorps position during the time of my application.

As I am applying as a disadvantaged applicant ( I lived in low income housing for most of my childhood and was on significant need based aid in college ( Pell, etc) and have been on welfare/food stamps for the past several years, I will be stressing on my application that I have a significant interest in working in underserved communities.

Based on what I have provided, I would really like to know if it is reasonable that I apply to these schools with the hopes of securing an interview and eventual acceptance or if some are just too unlikely?

Stanford**
Columbia**
NYU
Mount Sinai
UChicago
UCLA
SUNY Downstate, Stonybrook, and Upstate
NYMC
JHU
Harvard**
Yale
Tufts
Boston University
GWU
Georgetown
Case Western
Pitt
Cleveland Clinic

** = dream schools

Your thoughts and advice are truly appreciated. Thank you !

Members don't see this ad.

Goro suggests:

Your state schools, if any

NYU
Mount Sinai
UCLA
SUNY Downstate, Stonybrook, and Upstate (only if you from NY, and add Buffalo)
NYMC
Tufts
Rochester
Boston University
GWU
Georgetown
USC
Miami
Case Western
Dartmouth
Miami
Einstein
Wake Forest
Emory
U VT
VCU
EVMS
Loyola
MCW
SLU
All schools in PA
All new MD schools
Any state school i a neighboring state, as long as it accepts >15 of it's class from OOS. MSAR Online is your friend.

I really appreciate your advice Goro!

one thing i really would like to know is do you think it will be a waste to apply to columbia and stanford? ( i see it was omitted from your list, thus, am curious) Part of the reason I want to apply there is because i have a strong interest in academics and a strong upward trend. Also, I have heard that applying as a disadvantaged student helps to a degree particularly at those schools?

do you think its advisable?

Members don't see this ad :)
any other thoughts or clarifications would be truly appreciated..

I can say for Stanford that their admissions office really prides themselves on reading every single application thoroughly (it's why they have the slowest office in the country they say haha), so at a first glance your college GPA would be the weak link but you did have an upward trend and did really well in post-bac so as long as they see that (which I have no doubts, they will), I think it's worth applying to that school. I honestly don't know about Columbia's admissions process. Harvard had a really quick turnaround when it came to my application and inviting me for an interview (like less than two weeks, I think). On my application, I had a near perfect GPA but a decent MCAT score