Med School for Radiation Oncology: Sinai, Cornell, Downstate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthostice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am heading to med school this fall. I received acceptance offers from Sinai and Downstate, and am on the wait list at Cornell. I'm especially interested in the field of radiation oncology, and I would really appreciate hearing any thoughts people had on the relative strengths / weaknesses of these programs with that in mind.

I know that all these schools have radiation oncology residency programs. Cornell has its affiliation with MSKCC, but it seems that students from other NYC schools also find ways to do research and rotations at MSKCC.

My impression is that any of them would offer good exposure and opportunities, but being ignorant about the field, am curious if there are important considerations I may not be thinking about.

Thanks, and apologies if this is not the right place for this post.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean this sincerely, go to whichever will leave you with the least amount of debt.

They all have residency programs which will allow you get involved in research early, and truly the programs are close enough in stature that it shouldn't sway your decision, IMO. So seriously, as someone who just finished making my 10 year plan and saw my debt number, it matters A LOT.

Go there, meet with the PD early, ask to get involved in research, and then get great grades/step and you will be a force to be reckoned with. Good luck!

I am heading to med school this fall. I received acceptance offers from Sinai and Downstate, and am on the wait list at Cornell. I'm especially interested in the field of radiation oncology, and I would really appreciate hearing any thoughts people had on the relative strengths / weaknesses of these programs with that in mind.

I know that all these schools have radiation oncology residency programs. Cornell has its affiliation with MSKCC, but it seems that students from other NYC schools also find ways to do research and rotations at MSKCC.

My impression is that any of them would offer good exposure and opportunities, but being ignorant about the field, am curious if there are important considerations I may not be thinking about.

Thanks, and apologies if this is not the right place for this post.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should consider MDACC for med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All great schools. Honestly cost is on the rise and is a huge determining factor for most students. In addition, N.Y.C. life is extraordinarily expensive. But if location location location is a factor for you, Sloan Kettering is right across the street from Cornell which is one of the leading cancer centers. Their physicians have admitting privileges into NYP, which may allow for you to meet and build closer relations with their faculty to research, shadow, and so forth. Rad onc, to me seems like a super small field, you may probably already know their staff already since you're so keen on practicing in this field in the future. If you already have the connections, being a few blocks up probably wouldn't hurt either at Sinai.