Med school hell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroChaos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.medschoolhell.com/2007/04/24/101-things-you-wish-you-knew-before-starting-medical-school/

Scared to death :scared:

but I am still going on... partially bcoz I am too far to turn back and partially bcoz NOW I REALLLY want to experience the HELL :smuggrin: It would be amazing to experience Hell before Christ arrives.

whos with me?

Members don't see this ad.

Yea it looks like medical school and residency are really going to suck no matter how you swing it. However, I think it was rule number 42 (it was in bold) that made me realize I am making the right choice. There is really no other career (besides winning the lottery) that I would consider over medicine. Law sucks and doesn't interest me at all, I hate dealing with money/numbers/excel bull**** so business and finance are out, and my only other real option is the biotech industry, which is a bleak miserable 9-5 for 40-years existence. See office space for reference. Oh yea, dentistry.. probably going to get flak for saying this but I think dentists are the biggest jokes ever. More flak: I think getting a PharmD is for girls, those who couldn't hack pre-MD and didn't want to go DO, druggies, and those who are really interested in chemistry. I am none of these.

Honestly, what are these other "much easier" ways of making a solid paycheck? I see it thrown around but honestly in what kind of career can you bank a guaranteed $200k/year even after working for 10 years.

Besides at this point it really is too late to turn back (accepted to med school) even if I do decide that I want to pursue one of these magical easy money careers. By the time I acquire the skills necessary to excel in those fields I would be half way done with my medical training.

edit: oh yea opportunity cost.. giving up my twenties? Psh I hardly had much of a social life in middle school, high school and college. I don't enjoy partying and drinking.. I'd much rather go do something outdoors. Rock climbing or surfing anybody? My ability to go outside doesn't end when I turn 30 or even 40.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OB/GYN residents are treated like ****, and that **** runs downhill
Oh no. :Tuck and Roll:
If there is anything at all that you’d rather do in life, do not go into medicine.

There will be one person in your class who’s the coolest, most laid back person you’ve ever met. This guy will sit in the back row and throw paper airplanes during class, and then blow up with 260+ Step I’s after second year. True story.

One time an HIV+ patient ripped out his IV and then “slung” his blood at the staff in the room. Go, go infectious disease.
:laugh::lol:

That blog makes me want to go into medicine even more... Is that strange?

I found 65 to be very funny.

Don’t wear your white coat into the gas station, or any other business that has nothing to do with you wearing a white coat. You look like an ass, and people do make fun of you.

best thread ever... I hope he was just kidding.

I'm changing my major to finance/business administration then I'm going to be an investment banker :soexcited:

Not participating in tons of ECs doesn't hurt your chances for residency. Forget the weekend free clinic and play some Frisbee golf instead.

If an attending or resident treats you badly, call them out on it. You can get away with far more than you think.
Are these things true, or is the writer just exaggerating? B/c one of the things I've been looking for when I go on interviews is how many community service activities are available to med students. I didn't know that it didn't really matter.

Interesting read though.

baby you can have whatever you like

Are these things true, or is the writer just exaggerating? B/c one of the things I've been looking for when I go on interviews is how many community service activities are available to med students. I didn't know that it didn't really matter.

Interesting read though.
from what i understand what residency directors look for is

Step 1> 3rd Year grades> 1st two year grades > Research>>>>>Medical school prestige>>>>>>BS ECs

Yea it looks like medical school and residency are really going to suck no matter how you swing it. However, I think it was rule number 42 (it was in bold) that made me realize I am making the right choice. There is really no other career (besides winning the lottery) that I would consider over medicine. Law sucks and doesn't interest me at all, I hate dealing with money/numbers/excel bull**** so business and finance are out, and my only other real option is the biotech industry, which is a bleak miserable 9-5 for 40-years existence. See office space for reference. Oh yea, dentistry.. probably going to get flak for saying this but I think dentists are the biggest jokes ever. More flak: I think getting a PharmD is for girls, those who couldn't hack pre-MD and didn't want to go DO, druggies, and those who are really interested in chemistry. I am none of these.

Honestly, what are these other "much easier" ways of making a solid paycheck? I see it thrown around but honestly in what kind of career can you bank a guaranteed $200k/year even after working for 10 years.

Besides at this point it really is too late to turn back (accepted to med school) even if I do decide that I want to pursue one of these magical easy money careers. By the time I acquire the skills necessary to excel in those fields I would be half way done with my medical training.

edit: oh yea opportunity cost.. giving up my twenties? Psh I hardly had much of a social life in middle school, high school and college. I don't enjoy partying and drinking.. I'd much rather go do something outdoors. Rock climbing or surfing anybody? My ability to go outside doesn't end when I turn 30 or even 40.

You are the epitomy of what's wrong with majority of medical school applicants. TURN BACK NOW, IT'S NOT TOO LATE. You're setting yourself up for a BIG disappointment. You sound very much like myself 10 years ago. Your sentiments echo mine, and I have seen the error of my ways, but it was too late to turn back. For you, it's not.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are the epitomy of what's wrong with majority of medical school applicants. TURN BACK NOW, IT'S NOT TOO LATE. You're setting yourself up for a BIG disappointment. You sound very much like myself 10 years ago. Your sentiments echo mine, and I have seen the error of my ways, but it was too late to turn back. For you, it's not.
What was wrong with his post? It's true, people talk about all these other jobs people can go into and make quite a bit of money and yet they require very specific degrees and usually a good helping of luck.
All of the doctors I shadowed said that the money in medicine is quite good and they all live in half million dollar homes or better. People who bitch about that just get on my nerves.

And it's epitome. Sorry, poor spelling is a pet peeve of mine.

Interesting read though.

Everything in Medschool Hell is true. Brother Hoover tells no lies. The only difference between he and I is that he decided it wasn't worth it to continue and I, looking at my balance sheet, decided it was.

Everything in Medschool Hell is true. Brother Hoover tells no lies. The only difference between he and I is that he decided it wasn't worth it to continue and I, looking at my balance sheet, decided it was.

lol thank you panda :laugh: and chubs.

from what i understand what residency directors look for is

Step 1> 3rd Year grades > LORs+ Dean's letter > 1st two year grades > Research>>>>>Medical school prestige>>>>>>BS ECs

at least that's what I was told

:laugh: Priceless. What d'you know, Grey's Anatomy may not be so unrealistic after all. . .

Yeah, this thing pretty much nails it. Those of us in med school who have completed all of our rotations can tell you that he's right about almost everything. However, in the end it's really OK. Sure, you're going to go through some crappy times....but you'll get through it.

EDIT: And are you guys really surprised by this? That is an almost universal document for what it means to be a med student anywhere in the world. How can you guys wanting to go into medicine not have heard most of that stuff before?

Yeah, this thing pretty much nails it. Those of us in med school who have completed all of our rotations can tell you that he's right about almost everything. However, in the end it's really OK. Sure, you're going to go through some crappy times....but you'll get through it.

EDIT: And are you guys really surprised by this? That is an almost universal document for what it means to be a med student anywhere in the world. How can you guys wanting to go into medicine not have heard most of that stuff before?

The AIDs-as-a-weapon thing was kind of new to me. I know its happened, but I would never have thought it would be common enough for a medical student to warn his successors about. :eek:

Otherwise, that document really wasn't all that bad. There were even a couple pluses on it!

Panda says that the writer didn't continue in medicine. I don't read the blog frequently, but can anybody tell me what he's doing now?

The AIDs-as-a-weapon thing was kind of new to me. I know its happened, but I would never have thought it would be common enough for a medical student to warn his successors about. :eek:

That site just gives a general feel for what being a med student is like. I've never heard of/seen the AIDS thing before. I think that is probably very uncommon. Don't read every line as an absolute truth but rather take the whole thing as a general theme. Also recognize that med school isn't THAT bad....it's just a process everyone goes through.

Don't read every line as an absolute truth but rather take the whole thing as a general theme. Also recognize that med school isn't THAT bad....it's just a process everyone goes through.

Ah...thanks for the clarification :oops:.

I actually didn't find it all that discouraging. I'd figured the majority of it already.

To the poor pre-med student there reading the blog and all these cynical comments....take everything w a grain of salt. The cynics are more likely to comment on how bad everything (and mayb to an extent its true), but just dont come to a conclusion solely based on some random dude's experience (albeit universal?).
I was mostly laughin than freakin out while reading the blog...someone sounds v. bitter.
All these things that you guys are saying are sooo bad lol..you hav no idea what terrible/bad is. Lol its just like sayin that there are slums in the US..try going to India or some 3rd world country and hav your definitions redefined. Its all about perspective.
yes things are bad...but that bad? I dont know about it.
So ya dont let everything on the blog..and all the discouraging 'realities' that some fellows n residents here bring discourage you. You pretty much pave your own path by yourself IMO.

80. A great way to piss of attendings and residents are to tell them that you don’t plan to complete a residency.

:laugh:

I love it

Yeah I like the site. The guy has some valuable information for us. People who are still "in the system" always have some level of fear of "speaking out," no matter how high on the totem pole they may be. That's why its so valuable for the few individuals who leave medicine to be completely forthcoming about negative aspects they encountered while IN medicine.

He's provided a valuable service for us, and I'm sure its a sort of therapy - or at least coping mechanism - for him as well. I could imagine I'd have some cognitive dissonance - to say the least - if I were to go through 4 years of medical school and then leave. It's interesting to see how he deals with it. In a sense, he set it up as a therapeutic device for himself, beginning in the later years of medical school. It's as if part of him knew he was going to pull out of medicine and he used the site as a grieving device.

Either way, the site is valuable on so many levels. There are a lot of ******ed blogs out there. This isn't one of them.

While I agree that you pave your own path by yourself, I don't think I'd take what I read on here by medical students and residents as a grain of salt. Hoover did not say don't go into medicine. He is just saying be aware of the reality of medicine and make sure its absolutely what you want despite its bad points. I highly doubt he is over exaggerating but I do believe that you have to take both the good and bad together and weigh how much you still want it knowing both sides. If you still can say I can do this and I'll be ok then its worth going into this field. But ignoring the bad points of medicine doesn't mean they are not real or over exaggerated.

True. I'm just tryin to say that its not ALL bad like he makes it seem. And I wld def. take what I read here by med students n residents w a grain of salt...there's always 2 sides to a coin.

You pretty much pave your own path by yourself IMO.

That's where you're wrong. You can choose how to react to certain situations, but as a med student you rarely choose your own path, especially during the clinical years. That's part of the stress of being a medical student. A lot of the points on that website point to the fact that you're basically at the whim of everyone else [doing scut work, being there all the time despite needing time to sleep, not being able to eat when you want to eat, being forced to work with people who are unpleasant, being evaluated by people who sometimes shouldn't be evaluating you, etc etc etc]. Look folks, medical school really isn't that bad at all. It's definitely challenging, but it's not that bad. However, that website basically hits on a lot of complaints that most medical students voice at some point in medical school. Ignore it if you wish, but I think you'll have a better attitude once you're there in the moment and something ridiculous is happening to you if you realize that it's actually sort of normal... It also helps to realize that it happens to everyone and everyone gets through it just fine.

That's where you're wrong. You can choose how to react to certain situations, but as a med student you rarely choose your own path, especially during the clinical years. That's part of the stress of being a medical student. A lot of the points on that website point to the fact that you're basically at the whim of everyone else [doing scut work, being there all the time despite needing time to sleep, not being able to eat when you want to eat, being forced to work with people who are unpleasant, being evaluated by people who sometimes shouldn't be evaluating you, etc etc etc]. Look folks, medical school really isn't that bad at all. It's definitely challenging, but it's not that bad. However, that website basically hits on a lot of complaints that most medical students voice at some point in medical school. Ignore it if you wish, but I think you'll have a better attitude once you're there in the moment and something ridiculous is happening to you if you realize that it's actually sort of normal... It also helps to realize that it happens to everyone and everyone gets through it just fine.

I'm not disregarding or ignoring the hardships/schiess in med school...ALL i'm sayin is that hmm..'you can choose how to react to certain situations', and 'med school really isnt that bad at all..challenging, but not that bad', and 'it happens to everyone and everyone gets through it just fine'
I think we're sayin the exact same thing.

I'm definitely not surprised...

He is not pretending that it is every single medical school out there but speaking from his own experiences with the specific subset of attendings and residents he dealt with in his short time to show you how it was for him, not saying it will absolutely for sure be that way for you.
Maybe I'm somewhat cynical about life but not much surprises me anymore and the multitude of people that have stated similar notions to that of Hoover or Pandabear MD both on SDN and off SDN have shown me that a lot of what the say probably has a lot of truth to it. but you have to outweigh what's important to you and if you can take the bad with the good then you'll be ok and happy.

Exactly. You have to agree with me tho that the cynics and pessimists are more likely to write n blog about their experiences. Yes it is hard...hear me well...but i'm just sayin that there needs to be balance. It is not all whips and lashes. Its just soo rare to hear from someone that actually enjoyed(s) med school.

I'm not disregarding or ignoring the hardships/schiess in med school...ALL i'm sayin is that hmm..'you can choose how to react to certain situations', and 'med school really isnt that bad at all..challenging, but not that bad', and 'it happens to everyone and everyone gets through it just fine'
I think we're sayin the exact same thing.

Um, I don't think highlighting only the positive statements I made means that we're saying the exact same thing...ha ha ha.

61. At the beginning of first year, everyone will talk about how cool it’s going to be to help patients. At the end of third year, everybody will talk about how cool it’s going to be to make a lot of money.

That struck me because sadly, it's true. I mean most of us still like working with patients, but lifestyle (not just money but hours, too) becomes very important when you're on rotations. The patience I thought I had coming into medical school is practically gone. Those great moments during the clinical years (one highlight of mine was holding the doppler that allowed a woman who thought she could never become pregnant hear her baby's heartbeat for the first time) are oftentimes overshadowed by the difficult, mean, ungrateful, borderline patients. And that's a sad reality of healthcare.

Um, I don't think highlighting only the positive statements I made means that we're saying the exact same thing...ha ha ha.

lol just pointing out what I was tryin to say in your statements ha ha

61. At the beginning of first year, everyone will talk about how cool it’s going to be to help patients. At the end of third year, everybody will talk about how cool it’s going to be to make a lot of money.

That struck me because sadly, it's true. I mean most of us still like working with patients, but lifestyle (not just money but hours, too) becomes very important when you're on rotations. The patience I thought I had coming into medical school is practically gone. Those great moments during the clinical years (one highlight of mine was holding the doppler that allowed a woman who thought she could never become pregnant hear her baby's heartbeat for the first time) are oftentimes overshadowed by the difficult, mean, ungrateful, borderline patients. And that's a sad reality of healthcare.
And that's when I knew I wanted to become a doctor....

35. Surgeons are *******s. Take my word for it now.

:lol: As someone who's worked in the surgery department for over 2 years now, all I gotta say is WORD. For a while, I thought, "Wow, I'm a total slacker and that's why they don't like me." After about a year of working my ass off, getting promoted, but never being sure what I would get in the morning - hatred or adulation - I started to think, "These people have issues." At this point, I'm with him. 90% of surgeons are *******s. 88% of surgeons are crazy *******s. I understand why, but that doesn't make working with them any better.

If nothing else, I know that I am NOT a future surgeon. :D

alas, i am no longer premed. thank goodness for this article.

:laugh: Priceless. What d'you know, Grey's Anatomy may not be so unrealistic after all. . .

I was actually shadowing at a large hospital a couple years ago, and one of the residents asked me if I watched Grey's Anatomy, because she said that her life was very similar to it. :laugh:

Interestingly, this was in a foreign country...I guess the conditions in hospitals are constant throughout the world.

Last edited:

Nilf, I appreciate your words of wisdom, but I really have to ask: if I were to turn back now what would I do with my life? I honestly have no other career interests and everything else I can do with my degree makes me want to cry. What is it about your position now that makes you regret your choice? I am seriously trying to understand why just about every doctor I talk to tells me to turn back or go somewhere else. I can't believe job satisfaction is so low.

I sort of feel EXACTLY EXACTLY the way you feel. My brother is in finance and works 7:30AM - 9:00PM pretty much every day... just to make money for others and skim a bit off the top for himself. There's not much meaning to that and there's a TON of work. Why should satisfaction be higher there (ignoring for a moment the current recession) and low in medicine?

Nilf, I appreciate your words of wisdom, but I really have to ask: if I were to turn back now what would I do with my life? I honestly have no other career interests and everything else I can do with my degree makes me want to cry. What is it about your position now that makes you regret your choice? I am seriously trying to understand why just about every doctor I talk to tells me to turn back or go somewhere else. I can't believe job satisfaction is so low.

...There are OTHER job prospects with a biology degree. Aside from Medical School and grad school.:rolleyes:

Name them??? Well besides other health professional programs.
Are you serious?
Pharmaceuticals
Teaching
Consulting
that's three great prospects off the top of my head.

"Your family members will ask you for medical advice, even after your first week of first year."

hahaha.. pfft.. the first time i ever mentioned anything of the sort (going into medicine that is) my family though i knew what every thing wrong w/ them was haha

"During the summer before medical school starts, do not attempt to study or read anything remotely related to medicine. Take this time to travel and do things for you"

ha, the funny thing is that I have already planned my trip to europe w/ my friends!woo.. Manchester here i come :)

but I found this list incredibly fun to read, haha. If you have friends in med school, or have even worked/voluntered in a hospital you already know that most of these are true ha. :laugh:

Are you serious?
Pharmaceuticals
Teaching
Consulting
that's three great prospects off the top of my head.

If you want to work in pharmaceuticals you need at least a bachelors in chemistry or biochemistry, probably higher. The only job a biology degree holder would be qualified for is a sales representative job, which is a pretty boring way to earn a living.

Good luck teaching with just a bachelors in biology. Most schools look for teachers with a science degree + education concentration...usually a bunch of psychology classes and whatnot. Masters degrees are becoming more and more common, as well.

Consulting? What exactly are you going to consult on with a bachelors in biology? :laugh:

You're extremely limited with a bachelors in biology, unless you have some natural talents or dual majored in something else.

If you want to work in pharmaceuticals you need at least a bachelors in chemistry or biochemistry, probably higher. The only job a biology degree holder would be qualified for is a sales representative job, which is a pretty boring way to earn a living.

Good luck teaching with just a bachelors in biology. Most schools look for teachers with a science degree + education concentration...usually a bunch of psychology classes and whatnot. Masters degrees are becoming more and more common, as well.

Consulting? What exactly are you going to consult on with a bachelors in biology? :laugh:

You're extremely limited with a bachelors in biology, unless you have some natural talents or dual majored in something else.

If you are referring to teaching at a secondary-school level, in a high school, then I believe you may be mistaken.

At my high school, the majority of teachers had Bachelor's degrees in whatever topics they were teaching, or closely related topics (one teacher with a B.S. in Biology was teaching anatomy).

Med school is going to be the shiiit!!

AtG

that guy who writes for medschoolhell is a complete fewl. I am sure he made the right choice on the end - and I am glad for it, because I would have knocked his lights out during medical school with that attitude. He's a wusss

but aside from that, I still read and love it

:confused:This is not exclusive to biology. One of the most important things I learned during undergrad is that the subject of your degree means almost nothing. You can go into business or finance or ibanking without majoring in econ. Heck, people were majoring in literature and history and yes of course biology and being heavily recruited by investment banks. Being an investment banker is kind of like being a glorified excel monkey, yet, if anything being a science major was useful because you had done something "hard" or that involved hardcore math and that was to be respected. In today's world, you're ability to market yourself is more important than the subject matter you actually studied in college.

21. A student in your class will have sex with an attending or resident.

Outside of number 1, this was going to be the only one I had an issue with. And then guess what juicy rumour I heard last week.....