Med School in Europe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MnM24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from the US and how is med school in Europe?

Members don't see this ad.

Europe isn't a single country so it kind of varies. Most countries award MBBS degrees, which are 6 years in length and start after high school. Some countries offer 4 and 6 year English MD/MBBS programs for foreigners. Eastern European schools will generally cost less than American ones, while Western European ones will cost more.

Europe isn't a single country so it kind of varies. Most countries award MBBS degrees, which are 6 years in length and start after high school. Some countries offer 4 and 6 year English MD/MBBS programs for foreigners. Eastern European schools will generally cost less than American ones, while Western European ones will cost more.

Actually its just UK and Ireland that awards the MBBS/MBChB. Most countries actually award their own degrees, e.g. Germany awards the Dr. Med. degree. A number of countries actually award the MD like Poland I believe. It doesn't matter at the end of the day, little known fact, the MD degree came from Scotland.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually its just UK and Ireland that awards the MBBS/MBChB. Most countries actually award their own degrees, e.g. Germany awards the Dr. Med. degree. A number of countries actually award the MD like Poland I believe. It doesn't matter at the end of the day, little known fact, the MD degree came from Scotland.
It's all just pointless nomenclature, that really wasn't the point. Was more that most countries have 6 year MBBS style programs rather than 4 year US MD style programs. There are exceptions, but they certainly aren't the rule.

It's all just pointless nomenclature, that really wasn't the point. Was more that most countries have 6 year MBBS style programs rather than 4 year US MD style programs. There are exceptions, but they certainly aren't the rule.

Yes that is true. UK has 4 year programs for people with an undergraduate degree as well but not really for foreigners. They will take you only if you are exceptional as the competition for GEM programs among UK students is already much higher than for the traditional 5/6 year program.

How are Eastern European schools?

How are Eastern European schools?

They vary. They mostly cater to Europeans who didn't get into medical schools in their own country. You'll see Germans, Swedes, Brits, Americans, Canadians etc. I wouldn't recommend going to Eastern Europe though. The reason Germans, Swedes and Brits can go is because they tend to go to EU schools and they can do residency in their own countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
They vary. The mostly cater to Europeans who didn't get into medical schools in their own country. You'll see Germans, Swedes, Brits, Americans, Canadians etc. I wouldn't recommend going to Eastern Europe though. The reason Germans, Swedes and Brits can go is because they tend to go to EU schools and they can do residency in their own countries.
Pretty much this. There are cheaper EE schools that teach year programs in English, but match rates to the US are low- the best school back when I was looking was around 40%, while the worst are less than 10%. Board pass rates are also pretty abysmal.