Med school in the United States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gundersfat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in Canada, would it be easier for me to come back to Canada with a degree from the United States (m.d) or the Carribean? Once I'm done my residency in the U.S will it be easier for me to enter back into Canada as a doctor? I've talked to a surgeon at a local hospital, he said getting residency in Canada is really tough, you would have a better chance winning the lotto. I'll probubly get into a Canadian med school, but just incase what are the steps I should take if I don't get into a Canadian school and decide to head towards the U.S?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in Canada, would it be easier for me to come back to Canada with a degree from the United States (m.d) or the Carribean?

The United States. The same stigma against the Caribbean schools that exists in the US exists in Canada.

Once I'm done my residency in the U.S will it be easier for me to enter back into Canada as a doctor?

As you've been told, its tough to get into a Canadian residency, regardless of where outside of the country you have trained. But its possible, especially outside of the major urban centers. You will need to be realistic though - ie, would you be happy practicing in the US if you couldn't get a training position or work in Canada after a US residency?

Your best bet is to train in the country where you want to practice - there ends up being less hassle involved. However, since you aren't in medical school yet, the road to practice is at least 7 years away (4+3) in which time the governmental restrictions on IMGs could wildly change.