Med School Interview Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghboyd25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking into getting a book to help prepare for the interview process. I'm very comfortable when being interviewed and have no problem with them but this is a whole new ball game so I want to have the best prep I can. I've found two seemingly good options and wanted to see if anyone has any feedback or has heard of an even better source. Thanks for the help.

1. Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty
2. The Medical School Interview: Secrets and a System for Success

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Go outside and talk to strangers? Unless you have big troubles interviewing I really don't think those books can help out much. But that's just my opinion. To each their own.

Reactions: 1 users
Since you say you're comfortable being interviewed, you would likely get more out of just growing comfortable with the kind of questions medical schools ask. Which brings me to this:

SDN Interview Feedback

Click on a school, then "View survey results". Do note that while you probably won't be asked these questions verbatim, you'll start noticing a trend (unless the school likes to take a twist on things). This should help you build confidence/familiarity in deciding what you want to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
As the author of Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty, I can answer any questions you have about the book. I have served on the admissions committee for many years, and I'm always excited to meet our future doctors on interview day. Students work hard to get into medical school, and the interview is the final and the most important hurdle in the admissions process. Over the years, I have seen many well-qualified applicants fail to gain admission to medical school because of poor interview performance. In other cases, the student receives interviews at multiple schools but fails to gain admission to his or her coveted school because of interview performance.

To help applicants be as well informed and prepared as possible, I scoured the scientific literature on the medical school admissions interview, and presented the information in an easy to use manner. I didn't want the book to only be the opinion of one or two people so the book also includes hundreds of quotes from admissions deans and committee members.

The book also provides examples of how students typically answer questions, and how these responses can be strengthened.

Some additional resources you may find helpful:

1) Excerpt from the book published on SDN (What is your weakness?)

http://studentdoctor.net/2013/07/what-is-your-weakness/

2) First Chapter of the book, Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty:

http://www.thesuccessfulmatch.com/uploads/med_school_interview_chapter_1.pdf

3) Article published on SDN - How to Succeed in your Residency Interview (the advice is applicable to the medical school interview)

http://studentdoctor.net/2009/11/the-successful-match-how-to-succeed-in-your-residency-interview/

4) SDN thread about Health Care Issue Questions Asked during the Medical School Interview:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=14277291

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

All the best,

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for the input I really appreciate the response!

So I've been looking into getting a book to help prepare for the interview process. I'm very comfortable when being interviewed and have no problem with them but this is a whole new ball game so I want to have the best prep I can. I've found two seemingly good options and wanted to see if anyone has any feedback or has heard of an even better source. Thanks for the help.

1. Medical School Interview: Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty
2. The Medical School Interview: Secrets and a System for Success

I read several interviewing books before I hit the trail and found #2 here to be the most helpful. If you're experienced interviewing and/or you are motivated to prepare on your own you can probably get all the same info for free on the internet, but I found it to be an easy read and the exercises in the book were helpful for me.

I didn't read book #1, so I can't help in that respect.

atul gawande books tend to be helpful for teaching you how to talk the good talk