Med School Interview Webinar w/ MedEdits: Unanswered Question Follow-Up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaffeinatedSquirrel

Married into Medicine
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who attended our med school interview webinar with MedEdits this evening! If you missed it, a recording will be available on the Student Doctor YouTube channel in the next few days.

Below are a list of questions we didn't get to during the course of the webinar. If you're able to answer some of them, please jump in and help out your peers!

1. What does it mean to be put on the waitlist? What are the chances of an acceptance?
2. How do you answer to the question tell me about yourself in residency interview? do we have tell about your hobbies?
3. At the end of the interview if your interviewer asks "Is there anything else you want me to know?" how do you answer this question? What would be some good points to make here?
4. Why did you not apply to D.O. Schools? My focus is rural primary care and my MCAT is on the lower side so I feel as though admissions ask this question as a cop-out. As in "tell my why you think you are better than a D.O. And why we would ever allow you into an M.D. With that MCAT score when you could just apply to D.O." I get really tired of this question in mock interviews and I've lost my ability to answer it. I need a fresh way to approach this question!
5. What is the best way to deal with a mini if you have no idea what to say about the topic, if you are stuck?
6. During the interview can we bring up updates to our application even though they have not yet been documented? --Experiences that have occurred in between submission of our secondary and intervew day.
7. If you have a lot of healthcare experience how do you talk about that without sounding pompous or cocky?
8. How do I address fact I mistakingly put wrong schools name in personal statement?
9. If the students' GPA, letters of recommendation and extracurricular activities, and interview are top notch but the MCAT is low, how is this type of applicant viewed by the admissions committee?
10. Are there any specific techniques you can recommend for embodying the mentality of a physician?
11. For the Mmi - will you be expected to speak for the entire 8 minutes ? What happens if you feel that you have finished addressing the issues in less time?
12. If you are placed on a alternate list early on, what do you think is your chance of getting off of it?
13. Can you give any advice to foreign students?
14. Is the interview the most important thing once all applicants reach that step, or is every aspect of your application considered, so an interview that is not strong could be accepted because of the rest of their application?
15. In approaching medical/ethical scenario Qs, would it be expected to use more sophisticated terms if you don't have academic experience in that area? (biomedical ethics specifically)
16. You mentioned that you should bring up your flaws in the interview. What would be the best way to bring up something like a DUI on your record? Or is it better to not mention it unless asked?
17. If asked an ethical question, how can I answer the question without expressing my personal opinion?
18. What is the general schedule for a traditional interview? How long does it last?
19. Can you give an example of how to bring up red flags in your application if your interviewer hasn't brought it up but you want to address it in case the committee asks the interviewer about it later?
20. How should one address what one has been doing in the time between scondary/primary app submission and the interview? should that be the first thing you highlight, particularly if you aren't currently a student?
21. Is there any mock interview for residency applicants?
22. If I remain on the waiting list, is there anything I could do to increase my chance of getting accepted(ie: resume updates, letter of intents etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.