Med school interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danny B.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first interview at Albany Medical College. They do an MMI format. Anyone have experience or tips with what to expect? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Use the search function, there's tons of threads about MMI - all you have to do is look for them.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't be a babbling idiot
-Goro

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your interview!

I recently had the chance to exhaustively research the MMI for my book Multiple Mini Interview (MMI): Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the MMI. Below is a link to the first chapter of the book where you will find tips:

Multiple Mini Interview (MMI): Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty

If you have any questions, please let me know. I would also recommend you search through the SDN resources for more information. Good luck!

Samir Desai, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine

Reactions: 2 users
You could practice framing answers to various moral dilemmas.

Or just go and do your best.

I recently had the chance to exhaustively research the MMI for my book Multiple Mini Interview (MMI): Winning Strategies from Admissions Faculty. I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the MMI. Below is a link to the first chapter of the book where you will find tips:

If you have any questions, please let me know. I would also recommend you search through the SDN resources for more information. Good luck!

Samir Desai, M.D.
Dr. Desai,

Would you consider addressing my question from yesterday?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/question-re-mmis.1158575/

For those who have had interviews both in the traditional and MMI format, to what extent should we have knowledge about the healthcare system? In other words, should we be memorizing statistics/evidence for the different types of arguments, or would a more general level of knowledge be fine?

What other topics/ideas do you recommend reading about to prepare?

For those who have had interviews both in the traditional and MMI format, to what extent should we have knowledge about the healthcare system? In other words, should we be memorizing statistics/evidence for the different types of arguments, or would a more general level of knowledge be fine?

What other topics/ideas do you recommend reading about to prepare?

I found the MMI format to be a lot of fun and low stress. I wouldn't try to memorize policy or facts, just be yourself! The purpose of the MMI is to give you the opportunity to interact with multiple people to get a good idea of who you are and how you think critically. If you are stressed about being prepared I would read up on some common ethical issues in medicine and surface level arguments for and against the Affordable Healthcare Act.

You really can't prepare for an MMI, you just do it! Good luck!

I interviewed at Albany 2 cycles ago. It was my only MMI, so I don't really have a point of comparison, but I found it fairly difficult. I definitely caught myself rambling on because I was so nervous and couldn't organize my thoughts. They'll give you a minute or two to read a prompt outside of the interview room. During that time, be calm and really plan out your answer so that you're not rambling. Also, I'm sure they change at least some of the questions each year, but a few of mine were... unexpected. Just be prepared to connect the scenarios given in the questions to an experience you've had in your life. Basically, try and answer it as a behavioral question (e.g., "Well, when I was in a similar situation, this happened, and I did XYZ to solve it.") even if the question seems like it does not connect to your life in the least.

Thank you very much for the replies.

Samir Desai, M.D.
Thanks so much- I read your chapter- it was very helpful. I will get your book for sure! I looking for coaches that work on MMIs and they all seen to be in Canada. Can you recommend someone in the US? Thanks again for your help

One other question- do the categories of MMI's run pretty consistently? Do they usually include a session that asks more of the traditional questions?

I found the MMI format to be a lot of fun and low stress. I wouldn't try to memorize policy or facts, just be yourself! The purpose of the MMI is to give you the opportunity to interact with multiple people to get a good idea of who you are and how you think critically. If you are stressed about being prepared I would read up on some common ethical issues in medicine and surface level arguments for and against the Affordable Healthcare Act.

You really can't prepare for an MMI, you just do it! Good luck!

I know preparing for the MMI may not seem like fun but the research does show that most applicants view the MMI favorably. So I'm not surprised that Summertime012 found "the MMI format to be a lot of fun..." For those of you who are preparing for the MMI, I do believe it's important to remind yourself of how those before you felt. Of course, not everyone had positive MMI experiences but knowing that most viewed it favorably may help to some extent with the stress.

Where Summertime012 and I disagree is about preparation. The company line is that you can't prepare for the MMI but I don't believe that to be true. You can and should prepare for the MMI. With preparation, I have seen applicants significantly improve their performance.

Samir Desai, M.D.

I interviewed at Albany 2 cycles ago. It was my only MMI, so I don't really have a point of comparison, but I found it fairly difficult. I definitely caught myself rambling on because I was so nervous and couldn't organize my thoughts. They'll give you a minute or two to read a prompt outside of the interview room. During that time, be calm and really plan out your answer so that you're not rambling. Also, I'm sure they change at least some of the questions each year, but a few of mine were... unexpected. Just be prepared to connect the scenarios given in the questions to an experience you've had in your life. Basically, try and answer it as a behavioral question (e.g., "Well, when I was in a similar situation, this happened, and I did XYZ to solve it.") even if the question seems like it does not connect to your life in the least.

Rambling is a common problem. Very easy to go on and on. Organizing your thoughts is essential, and you can improve your skills in organization with MMI practice.

Thank you very much for the replies.

Thanks so much- I read your chapter- it was very helpful. I will get your book for sure! I looking for coaches that work on MMIs and they all seen to be in Canada. Can you recommend someone in the US? Thanks again for your help

For coaching, I would try your health professions office first. Some advisers have participated in MMI workshops and attended lectures at medical education meetings. See if they offer a workshop for students, or if they would be willing to work with you individually. If you're attending a major university affiliated with a medical school, you may find workshops or information sessions at the medical school.

Samir Desai, M.D.

Very school based....... questions can range from ethical, behavioural, opinion-based, acting, creative, partner/group-based etc....

Some schools can use traditional questions as a warm-up, others may integrate it into a two part interview, some don't use it at all.... look up the school format to be clear
Thanks for the information. What about contacting the school- is that information they would share? I don't want to call and have a strike against me for disturbing them with pesky questions!

Thanks for the information. What about contacting the school- is that information they would share? I don't want to call and have a strike against me for disturbing them with pesky questions!

Oh I'm not as sure about that... most of the time you can figure it out by browsing the interview section of respective schools to get an idea.

I completely agree with Dr. Desai...... most people who say that you can't prepare for it either had strong enough files that you can just be average in an interview and still get in, or are naively idealistic. There is an incredible amount of preparation that you could to to improve (but never guarantee) your chances (many of which I wrote about in my post).

Best wishes,