Med school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayayteeyeee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am putting together my list of schools to apply to and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Here's some background info: I graduated undergrad in 2011 from the University of Wisconsin with a GPA of 3.3. I went to grad school at Rosalind Franklin for Biomedical Science and have a very strong GPA- about 3.9. MCAT - 34 (11/11/12B). I am also a WI resident. I have worked the past year as a chemist. I also have a lot of volunteer experience with disabled children. I previously applied with no luck obviously.

Here's my list:
University of Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Northwestern (reach)
Rush
Pritzker (reach)
U of I at Chicago
Columbia (reach)
Hofstra
NYU ?
Minnesota
North Dakota
Penn state ?
Michigan ?
Indiana ?

Any input? Should I add in others that I would be competitive at?

Members don't see this ad.

I am putting together my list of schools to apply to and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Here's some background info: I graduated undergrad in 2011 from the University of Wisconsin with a GPA of 3.3. I went to grad school at Rosalind Franklin for Biomedical Science and have a very strong GPA- about 3.9. MCAT - 34 (11/11/12B). I am also a WI resident. I have worked the past year as a chemist. I also have a lot of volunteer experience with disabled children. I previously applied with no luck obviously.

Here's my list:
University of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Northwestern (reach)
Rush
Pritzker (reach)
U of I at Chicago
Columbia (reach)
Hofstra
NYU ?
Minnesota
North Dakota
Penn state ?
Michigan ?
Indiana ?

Any input? Should I add in others that I would be competitive at?

As per my MO, no shot at UND unless you're Native American, a former long term resident, or have true STRONG ties to the state. I'd add Tulane, VCU, EVMS, NYMC, and a few DO schools for good measure.

Last edited:
Thank you! I am just now looking into more NY schools. Previously I wanted to stay close to home but now I am open to all over. Unfortunately I don't know too much about schools not in the Midwest.

I do have a ton of family in ND, but I'm not sure if that is "strong ties." Worth a shot though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I am just now looking into more NY schools. Previously I wanted to stay close to home but now I am open to all over. Unfortunately I don't know too much about schools not in the Midwest.

I do have a ton of family in ND, but I'm not sure if that is "strong ties." Worth a shot though.
Add Creighton as well. UND uses a point system based off residency, GPA, and MCAT to offer IIs. The few OOS applicants that get IIs have very strong ties to the state and phenomenal stats. I can guarantee you won't an automatic II and am 99% sure you won't get one of the 20ish IIs based on a more subjective re-review of applications. FWIW the last person I'm aware of to be accepted to UND that was truly OOS had excellent stats and his/her spouse was a doing his/her residency through UND. That was about 6-7 years ago.

Last edited:
Goro suggests:

University of Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Hofstra
Penn state
Tulane
Tufts
Drexel