Med School Note Taking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedDocMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you guys do take notes in class, what do you use? Do you use a 3- ring notebook, or a spiral notebook? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but every bit helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I usually write on my arms and legs with blue, G207 gel pens (essential). It's also imperative that you have a coffee enema before note taking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Notes are for suckas. I kid you not. Impress all your classmates by skipping their learning curve and just absorbing the lectures as best you can from the beginning of the year. Preread and postread (I heard that helps).

Actually, you'll soon find out that lecture itself is for suckas. A profound waste of time in most circumstances. Save the trouble and DIY.

If I take any notes, I usually just annotate the syllabus. Often the syllabus is comprehensive & notes are unnecessary.

I used to occassionally scribble notes on the handouts for the lecture.

Mostly though, I tried to catch up on my sleep.

Mostly though, I tried to catch up on my sleep.

Agree with this. :thumbup:

No class attendance, no note-taking, no listening to any lectures, no class note service here. I just read stuff at home. Works much better.

You'll see what we mean in a few months.

Well, I usually write on my arms and legs with blue, G207 gel pens (essential). It's also imperative that you have a coffee enema before note taking.
Contemplates the virtues of the G207 pen versus the Pilot G5 micro point then notices coffee enema and actually considers it for a moment as a way to get more caffeine in half the time...

Sometimes I use my laptop. But mostly I use the same old spiral notebook (if there isn't room to write on the ppts or the instructor doesn't use ppts) I carry one 200 pg or so spiral notebook, a pencil purse with a couple pens pencils and highlighters, a sweatshirt and a giant coffee mug with me. The rest I leave at home and only use when I need it.

Speaking of highlighters, anyone want my purples? I can't STAND purple.

i do not notetake either.

pre & post reading are sufficient compliments to sitting in classroom and absorbing what the prof says.

I don't go to class but listen to the audio lectures. I generally do not take notes while I am listening unless a point is mentioned that is not in the syllabus.

If I have trouble understanding a concept that is discussed, I listen to that portion of the lecture again after reading about it on my own.

I find if I am worried about writing down all the points that are being made, I will miss alot of what is being discussed.

I am have been doing well in school, except for Anatomy :rolleyes:

No class attendance, no note-taking, no listening to any lectures, no class note service here. I just read stuff at home. Works much better.

You'll see what we mean in a few months.

Agreed. Notes are for the OC-uptight-glass-goers that you probably don't want to be seen with anyway. It's best to harass the course director and get an idea of what they read to steal their slides verbatim. Thus when you read the extra sentence in the paragraph the slide was drafted from which was conveniently left off you'll be ahead of the game because it inevitably shows up on the exam.

If I go to lecture (not usually), I'll just annotate the course notes that we got at the beginning of the semester. Those are pretty much the only thing I use - I write in things to clarify stuff, and I highlight other things.

If I go to class I take notes on notebook paper because if I don't I'll space out and then have no clue whats going on when I tune back in. I never use the notes for anything because they are never complete enough to study from, and we get the official noteset from the mp3 recording of the lecture a day or two later anyway. I only go if I want to see a guest speaker or if they are bringing a patient in or something cool like that.

I take notes only so that I can tell which lectures I managed not to sleep through, so I don't have to listen to them again on mp3.