Med Schools and Full-Course Load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The One Who Knocks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my freshman year, and from beginning of fall, I planned to take summer courses. As a result, I took 4 courses a semester instead of 5, which was about 15-16 credit hours a semester. However, recently I was reading that medical schools look at your course load, and some require a full course load of 5 courses a semester.

I am extremely worried now, considering I just took 12 courses (4 in the fall, 4 in the winter, and 4 in the summer) during my first year, and I feel it may have been the wrong decision.

Should I definitely take 5 courses a semester from now on, even though I don't need to? I am planning on taking summer courses regardless, as I like to keep busy with school year-round.

In the end, will it matter if I continue the way I am? Or should I change to 5 courses and take less in the summer? (I really do like the way I did it my first year though!)

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where did you hear that schools require a full course load? I've never heard of such things.

15-16 credit hours per semester is perfectly fine. If your school is like mine, 12 is the bare minimum for full-time enrollment and 18 is the "cap" for a full course load, beyond that one would have to pay by credit. So 15-16 is right in the middle and you're fine.

If you don't need to take 5 courses a semester, don't.

Medical schools do consider the "rigor" of your undergrad studies, but that's obviously a vague criterion and open to interpretation. At the end of the day, it's more important that you do well than that you demonstrate academic "intensity." Nobody is going to be impressed if you're taking 18 hours but don't do well. On the flip side, people won't think twice about doing 12-15 hours and doing well. Just find a balance.

Reactions: 1 user