Med Schools and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do schools generally look down on an MCAT score that is 2-3 pts below their average? Will they automatically screen the applicant out? I heard some schools do that but not sure if that was just a rumor or the truth.

Members don't see this ad.

Look down on? Probably a bit.

Automatically screen out? Only if they have a requirement you don't meet (all 7s, minimum of 25, etc).

Most schools won't accept applicants whose MCAT score is below their mean score for accepted applicants. Sorry.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools won't accept applicants whose MCAT score is below their mean score for accepted applicants. Sorry.
The mean implies that they do accept a proportion of applicants below that score. That's what a mean is. It's average of Mcats that are accepted. Some will be higher than the mean, some will be lower. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 7 users
A lot of schools have a very wide range of scores accepted. For example, the University of Maryland has an average MCAT of 33 but their 10-90% interval is 29-37. Clearly they don't screen out just for having a 30.

So, you have a chance even at 3-4 points below the school mean, though you should treat it as a "reach" rather than "match" unless you have very strong GPA, ECs etc. to make up for it.

You are funny... Make sure you take algebra before applying.

Reactions: 2 users
This is why advisors say to stay off SDN. Don't post unless you know what you're talking about.

Reactions: 2 users
Can someone explain to me what a mean is? Is that like in Algebra when the letter isn't just x, but x with a line on top?

Reactions: 1 user
Can someone explain to me what a mean is? Is that like in Algebra when the letter isn't just x, but x with a line on top?
Yes. That is common notation for a mean or an average.

Thanks. I don't really understand the second part- how can you add two numbers that are negative like that? Isn't that just subtracting?
Yes. -7+8 is effectively 8-7.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being made a pretty good sarcastic post satirizing SDN's neuroticism of being "below average", yet almost nobody caught that...

Reactions: 1 users
Being made a pretty good sarcastic post satirizing SDN's neuroticism of being "below average", yet almost nobody caught that...
It was just such a serious statement. I thought being was being serious.

your mcat doesn't need to meet the average, sometimes it doesn't even need to be in the 10%. some girl I know with just a 32 is getting mad IIs at power house schools for MD/PhD. Stanford, NYU, Mayo, Northwestern, Washington at St. Louis (pretty ridiculous), Yale, couple others. im not sure what her secret is. she must have written a hell of a personal statement or something.

Automatically screen out? Only if they have a requirement you don't meet (all 7s, minimum of 25, etc).

Average implies that they accept students above and below that number. If they only took people at their average or higher, their average would increase each year until they had virtually no students at all.

There is nothing wrong with applying a little high for your score, especially if you are otherwise a competitive applicant. You are more than a number. Just also mix in a few schools for which your scores are higher than average and you will be fine.

u wot m8??? details plz?

must be the research, as the other user suggested. I guess I didn't think of that. still though, 32 and getting invited to Washington U, I was a little surprised.

I'm interested in this idea of a compelling research record. I'm a sophomore and have put in a lot of hours in two labs already (one at my undergrad, one corporate over the summer.) I'm guessing it takes more than that. does it all come down to publications? how many publications makes your record really compelling?

I guess it also seems a little frustrating because in my experience, publications are more related to luck (in a lot of cases) than absolute scientific acumen.

i know she did a ton of research, not sure how many publications. she might be getting some URM help. from my understanding, if you're applying MD/PhD you should have an even more impressive mcat. 32 is good, but it's not THAT good... at least not for a place like Washington university or yale. meanwhile, my 34 isn't getting me much right now just for a basic md interview. I cant even get a secondary from Drexel. screw them.

Concur. The higher the tier of school, the less likely your chances though, unless you have something spectacular in your packet. But overall, 2-3 point sis what I call "striking distance".

MD/PhD programs focus a lot less on MCAT scores. At WUSTL the average MCAT for med students is crazy high (38) but for MSTP its a few points lower. They care about your research record first and foremost.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
i know she did a ton of research, not sure how many publications. she might be getting some URM help. from my understanding, if you're applying MD/PhD you should have an even more impressive mcat. 32 is good, but it's not THAT good... at least not for a place like Washington university or yale. meanwhile, my 34 isn't getting me much right now just for a basic md interview. I cant even get a secondary from Drexel. screw them.

Are you sure it's your MCAT? Would you recommend retaking a 34 then?

Yeah. Looking at his post history clears that up. My bad.
Not your bad. Somebody posted, you responded. Whether they were serious is honestly irrelevant. Don't let the troll-hunters get you down. The last thing we need is for them to convert you into another person who stands around telling people how smart they were for 'recognizing the troll' instead of actually participating.

Reactions: 1 users

No definitely not. A 34 is a fine score. I have faith I'll get a couple more interviews. But multiple top tier school interviews with a 32 is what confuses me.

A 34 is a fantastic score that many would die to get. Definitely do not. You did a wonderful job and should be proud. Congrats!