Med Schools and MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshine02

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do schools generally look down on an MCAT score that is 2-3 pts below their average? Will they automatically screen the applicant out? I heard some schools do that but not sure if that was just a rumor or the truth.

Members don't see this ad.

Clearly people at and even below their 10th percentile have gotten in, so they can't possibly automatically reject everyone below the average. Obviously you have a better shot if you're closer to/above their average, and those with lower MCATs may be considered after others have been interviewed.

Reactions: 1 user
As an anecdote, I got an interview at a Top 20 school with an mcat 3 points below their average (I'm not URM). I'm sure there are tons of other people with similar luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's an average MCAT.

that pretty much implies that they accept and matriculate people who have an MCAT below the average (unless of course they only accept people who hit the average exactly and reject everyone above/below).

seriously, I think some people forget the meaning of average around here.

Reactions: 1 users
it's an average MCAT.

that pretty much implies that they accept and matriculate people who have an MCAT below the average (unless of course they only accept people who hit the average exactly and reject everyone above/below).

seriously, I think some people forget the meaning of average around here.
You have a great point. It's just stressful when that's the only number you're given and you just automatically start comparing yourself to that number...

You have a great point. It's just stressful when that's the only number you're given and you just automatically start comparing yourself to that number...
The MSAR gives you the median as well as the 10th and 90th %ile. Use these points to assess your candidacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I think you have a chance as long as everything else is strong. Also, some schools care more about the MCAT than others.

I was 2 points lower than my school average - it's fine. Just have a higher GPA, life experience, maturity, and good interview skills.